What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The Price I Paid for a Hot Tub  (Read 14364 times)

Sollylogger

The Price I Paid for a Hot Tub
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:50 pm »
I just bought a hot tub for the first time.  I found the experience to be quite challenging as there is so little real information that the buyer can access.  The playing field is so tilted toward the dealer.  I want to suggest that this forum start a log of prices paid so future buyers can have better information for negotiations.  I also would like to thank this forum and one particular dealer/user who agreed to speak to me about hot tubs even though he was on the other side of the country.  If anyone would like more information, pm me and I would be happy to pass along any knowledge I gathered.

In order to encourage people to post the price that they paid, I ask that no one post comments about the prices good or bad. 

Sept 2016 - In Pennsylvania
Purchased a Hot Spring Envoy for $11,000 (during rebate week)  Includes steps, cover, lifter, year's worth of chemicals, delivery

I received quotes for two other brands - same inclusions except for less chemicals
Jacuzzi J455 - $10,000
Bullfrog A7L - $9,200

Hope this helps others and is ok to post here.

Good Luck

Hot Tub Forum

The Price I Paid for a Hot Tub
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:50 pm »

39lasalle

Re: The Price I Paid for a Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:18:43 am »
Just bought the Bull Frog A7L and was quoted the $9200, agreed to $9000 plus the was the $600 rebate over Labor Day weekend, brings total down to $8400.      I put my deposit $2500 on my travel credit card for the points.     I also just opened up two new credit cards to use for the balance.   The first card I am only going to put the minimum of $500 Purchase so I receive the cards $100 cash back.  The second card I will put the remaining balance on to take advantage of the $150 cash back, 1.5% earn back and 15 month interest free period!

So, once we add tax and subtract all this above, we walked out with the A7L for $8600!

DKRanger22

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 09:30:49 pm »
$7,394 for a Bulfrog R8 over the Labor Day weekend in Cleveland, OH area.   Comes with the normal list of usuals (cover, lifter, chemicals, steps).  This tub is outfitted with the stainless jets, color-matched jet packs, circulation pump, ozonator and speaker system.  Pretty good buy with all of the add-on's by all accounts. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:50:29 pm »
$7,394 for a Bulfrog R8 over the Labor Day weekend in Cleveland, OH area.   Comes with the normal list of usuals (cover, lifter, chemicals, steps).  This tub is outfitted with the stainless jets, color-matched jet packs, circulation pump, ozonator and speaker system.  Pretty good buy with all of the add-on's by all accounts.

I don't even believe you paid this price, it's not realistic....and not in the not realistic because its so low but in the its so low your dealer literally made no money, 0 profit on that spa....but hey congrats if true because you found literally found a dealer who just sold you something at basically cost after everything was "paid for" accessories/delivery/etc.

I need a new vehicle, do all the local Cleveland area business's sell at cost? lol

DKRanger22

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:03:16 pm »

I don't even believe you paid this price, it's not realistic....and not in the not realistic because its so low but in the its so low your dealer literally made no money, 0 profit on that spa....but hey congrats if true because you found literally found a dealer who just sold you something at basically cost after everything was "paid for" accessories/delivery/etc.

I need a new vehicle, do all the local Cleveland area business's sell at cost? lol

I posted a copy of my bill of sale in another thread.  That's what I'm paying...

tmaestas95

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
I posted a copy of my bill of sale in another thread.  That's what I'm paying...

That is a killer deal and is quite literally thousands less than I paid in northern California for my R8.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:48:21 pm »
Dealers around here try and get upwards of 2-3 grand margin per tub. That's hard to do all the time with the purchasing public being more and more savvy. It helps if a dealer buys them by the truck load but then your forced to choose for others/help others choose in your sales, what you have in stock or left in stock. And may even end up sitting on a color/model that is a harder sell. Till a deal is made. With orders from the factory (LTL/smaller) the freight increases the cost a bit. Large healthy service group is expensive also. Selling from property you own versus a lease. Lots of things effect how much margin is enough for each and every tub. Maybe the dealer DK bought from had a tremendous year and wanted to clear the warehouse before he made another full truck load order. Car dealers do it also and if your a savvy purchaser.........
Retired

Rockstarbass1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »
What dealer was this??? I'm from the Cleveland Ohio area.

DKRanger22

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:29:19 pm »
Not sure if I'm able to post dealer specifics here, but I'm happy to PM you details.  I called them today to ask a few questions about delivery on my tub and asked what pricing would be if I referred them a few more people.   My contact (sales manager) claims that they have one more R8 floor model located at another store that he is willing to extend the same price on.  Once the floor model is gone, price will be 10% higher.  He also has floor models of a Sundance Marin and a J-365 that were special ordered, but deals fell through.  The colors are not common, so he's having a hard time moving them.  He's at $7,600 on the Marin and $7,415 on the J-365 - again, both floor models.  The Sundance is a Monaco Brown w/ teak and the 365 is a midnight blue color w/ teak (not sure on the exact color names and I was driving, so I'm recalling the color names from memory).  Neither model has speakers.   

I don't think enough credit is being given to their size and ability to order large QTY's.   I believe their annul sales are somewhere in the $120 million range annually (again, recalling from the sales spiel given when I bought the tub).

Edited to add:  I have zero affiliation with this dealer or any other dealer.  Aside from researching this purchase for the past few months, i'm new to the hot tub world and have nothing to gain from posting here, other than trying to help others.  If this post can help someone else locally score a great deal, I'm happy to do so.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:34:14 pm by DKRanger22 »

ray

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 06:21:48 pm »
just purchased sundance aspen for $12800 out the door... of course with the usual stuff... free delivery, chemicals, cover/lifter (with upgraded cover material), steps, booster seat, and a bunch of rubber duckies.  :)

was also quoted the jacuzzi j495 for $13995 + tax + $300 deliver... comes out to $15500+

that's why i went with the aspen

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
Not sure if I'm able to post dealer specifics here, but I'm happy to PM you details.  I called them today to ask a few questions about delivery on my tub and asked what pricing would be if I referred them a few more people.   My contact (sales manager) claims that they have one more R8 floor model located at another store that he is willing to extend the same price on.  Once the floor model is gone, price will be 10% higher.  He also has floor models of a Sundance Marin and a J-365 that were special ordered, but deals fell through.  The colors are not common, so he's having a hard time moving them.  He's at $7,600 on the Marin and $7,415 on the J-365 - again, both floor models.  The Sundance is a Monaco Brown w/ teak and the 365 is a midnight blue color w/ teak (not sure on the exact color names and I was driving, so I'm recalling the color names from memory).  Neither model has speakers.   

I don't think enough credit is being given to their size and ability to order large QTY's.   I believe their annul sales are somewhere in the $120 million range annually (again, recalling from the sales spiel given when I bought the tub).

Edited to add:  I have zero affiliation with this dealer or any other dealer.  Aside from researching this purchase for the past few months, i'm new to the hot tub world and have nothing to gain from posting here, other than trying to help others.  If this post can help someone else locally score a great deal, I'm happy to do so.

That would mean they would be selling 15000 or so tubs a year. They must have 40-50 stores

MarKee

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:25:08 pm »
I think he's referring to The Great Escape which is probably one of the largest pool/spa/backyard retailers in the country.  When a large dealer like that buys in bulk, it may save them 10% wholesale or somewhere around that price, which wouldn't make it a huge savings to the consumer, but maybe $1000+ depending on the price of the spa.  The Great Escape has tons of product categories, I think spas is a smaller percentage of their overall business.  They are really big in outdoor furniture, gameroom, and pools if I'm not mistaken.

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:32:03 pm »
I think the point people are trying to make is the price is unrealistic in 99% of the markets.  Great price and many dealers will liquidate a spa that has sat for awhile.  I got a Prodigy and Gleam I'd love to get rid of...

DKRanger22

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
I think he's referring to The Great Escape which is probably one of the largest pool/spa/backyard retailers in the country.  When a large dealer like that buys in bulk, it may save them 10% wholesale or somewhere around that price, which wouldn't make it a huge savings to the consumer, but maybe $1000+ depending on the price of the spa.  The Great Escape has tons of product categories, I think spas is a smaller percentage of their overall business.  They are really big in outdoor furniture, gameroom, and pools if I'm not mistaken.

Bingo...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »
  You got a great price, who cares how you got it..   ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42