What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking to Buy Large Hot Tub  (Read 12888 times)

DKRanger22

Looking to Buy Large Hot Tub
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
Hi guys, first post here, although I've researched and have read quite a few topics over the past few years.  A good friend of mine has a tub that my wife and I have enjoyed on a number of occasions, and after buying our house back in 2012, we couldn't help but think that our house/ deck was setup much the same as my friend's, and that all it was missing was a hot tub!

I'm a big guy - 6'4" 250, so I'd really like a big tub.   My research has drawn me to Hot Springs - the quality, reputation and local dealer option makes this a good option for me, and their Gleam model definitely meets the size requirement.   

On my lunch break today, I stopped by the other big hot tub dealer in town, who showcases the Caldera brand.  As I understand it, they're under the same umbrella as HS, and their Cantabria model seems like a clone to the Gleam size and feature wise.   I had a little but of sticker shock - $14,550 for the tub, cover, chemicals, steps and delivery.   My research here has led me to see some people getting deals on this tub around $11K.   Needless to say, some room for negotiation exists.

I plan to stop by the HS dealer later this weekend to get a quote on the Gleam, but with HS being the "higher end" of the two brands, I'm not expecting for it to be significantly cheaper.    Of the two tubs, there are some things about the Caldrea that I actually like more (I prefer the defined seats of the Caldrea over the "bench" seating of the Gleam, wrist jets, etc.).   However, wet tests of both will be in order to solidify my opinion. 

So my first question:  what prices should I be shooting for on either model?    Is there anything that should be causing me to hone in on one model vs the other?   I am open to other makes/models (i.e. Jacuzzi), but that would mean getting into dealers that are a fair bit further from my location.  Both of these dealers (HS and Caldera) are within 15 minutes from my house and are well-established, which means something to me.   

Any guidance/ feedback is appreciated. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:38:58 pm by DKRanger22 »

Hot Tub Forum

Looking to Buy Large Hot Tub
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Looking to Buy Large Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 01:03:54 pm »
Cantabria at $14,500 is what they are going for on the new 2016 models.  They are completely redesigned and the retail price on the went up about $1500 or so dollars.  I have one on the floor with same options you listed for $14,999.  The Cantabria is going to compare more to the NXT tubs from Hot Springs as far as lighting, finish and jet power.  Gleam will be priced less expensively because it's from Hot Springs mid-level tub line.  Both good tubs with great warranties backed by a great manufacturer

DKRanger22

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.   Should I expect to do any better on the Cantabria, or is $14.5 a pretty fair price?  I haven't haggled at all yet,  so I suspect there to be some wiggle room left in the price.

So if I'm understanding you right, the Gleam is actually a step down from the Cantabria?  Your comment about jet power is a bit concerning.  How noticeable of a difference should I expect between the two?

The HS dealer just quoted me $12,995 on the Gleam (same list of add on's).  Again, no haggling - just the initial offer.   The tubs seem very similar, so much so, that I think this will largely come down to price. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.   Should I expect to do any better on the Cantabria, or is $14.5 a pretty fair price?  I haven't haggled at all yet,  so I suspect there to be some wiggle room left in the price.

So if I'm understanding you right, the Gleam is actually a step down from the Cantabria?  Your comment about jet power is a bit concerning.  How noticeable of a difference should I expect between the two?

The HS dealer just quoted me $12,995 on the Gleam (same list of add on's).  Again, no haggling - just the initial offer.   The tubs seem very similar, so much so, that I think this will largely come down to price.

It's a fair price on Cantabria. If it's in stock or he is getting ready to place a truck load order you maybe able to a bit better. Tub is a heavy one and i can't just send my usual delivery crew of 2-3 guys. Usually need to send a couple extras which is factored into the price. Can't hurt to ask. The loung with multiple settings on the Cantabria is a real cool option. Wet test both for sure

DKRanger22

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »
Really appreciate the feedback.  The dealer has a few in their warehouse, and their sister store about 30 minutes away has one on their floor.  Perhaps I could get a deal on the floor model?  I'll stop by the sister store this week to see how motivated they may be to move it.

DKRanger22

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:45 pm »
So the Hot Springs dealer really seems to be running away with this.   They are really going above and beyond to earn my business, and the Caldera dealer really seems to care less if I buy from them or not.   While I really like the Cantabria, it's so similar to the Gleam that this will really come down to price and dealer service.    The HS dealer is $3k less than the Caldera, so it seems like a no-brainer.

The only twist in the plot is that the Hot Springs dealer made a good pitch to step up to to the HighLife series.  At the price point of the Gleam, I could also be in a Grandee.  Two different tubs (one lounger, one without).    I'm not totally sold on the lounger, but my logic behind the Gleam was that it's such a big tub, I wouldn't be sacrificing much space if it turns out I didn't utilize the lounge much (best of both worlds).    Is the lounger and the dynamic experience that it offers in the Gleam worth it, or should I go for the better insulation and upgraded features of the Grandee?I assume that internals (pumps, jets, etc.) are the same between the two? 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:12:32 pm »
I think it's time for some wet tests

maddigital

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »
I also think its time for wet tests. After wet test of Grandee and Gleam, my wife and I realized we didnt like the seat contours and the open bench seats. We moved around. The Caldera tubs had more defined deep seats that made it easy to find your seat location.  It's hard to explain but a wet test will confirm. Also I didn't like that the lounger in the gleam took up a long side and the cantabria has the lounger on the short side with the more effective massage jets.

DKRanger22

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:24 am »
Wet testing will definitely be in order. 

Digital - I know what you mean regarding the defined seating of the Cantabria.  Did you find the bench-style seating uncomfortable, or was the issue more related to simply being able to find/stay in the designated seat area?  It looks as if the seats are a little more defined on the Grandee than the Gleam, but not as much so as the Cantabria. Also curious to know about your comment on the effectiveness of the lounger jets.  The Gleam has the Moto Massage, which is supposedly very highly regarded.   Did you not care for them?  If so, curious if you could elaborate in more detail about the differences between the two?

Also hoping for some feedback on the insulation / components used in the Grandee (Highlife series) as compared to the Gleam/Cantabria?   I believe the main components (i.e. Pumps) are the same, but am not positive.  It seems like the main difference is insulation and the type of jets, but it's hard to decipher reality from sales speak / marketing. 

DKRanger22

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 03:13:30 pm »
So with the Labor Day weekend upon us (and the corresponding "deals" on hot tubs pending), I decided to expand my search and explore a Sundance/Jacuzzi/Bullfrog dealer.   The closest thing that they had in-stock that would compete directly with a Gleam or Cantabria would have been the Sundance Aspen.   Beautiful tub, no lounger by plenty of room and really deep, excellent fit/finish.   The dealer only had 300 series of Jacuzzi's in the showroom, although I could order a 400 series through them if desired.   The 355 (lounger) and 365 (no lounge) that they had in-stock looked nice and seemed to offer good bang for the buck, but are a little smaller than I would like.   That's all that was in the store for the Jacuzzi line aside from a few really small tubs.    In exploring the Bullfrog line, the dealer had a number of A series tubs on the floor and a few X-series models.   The salesman made a really aggressive offer on a base model X8L, which was the largest Bullfrog tub in the store:  $6,500 including cover, steps, chemicals & delivery.   

I've come into this search thinking that I would spend a bit more to get into a really nice tub that was efficient to run and would last for years to come.   I'm a firm believe that you get what you pay for.    I understand that Bullfrog is considered to be one of the better manufacturers out there, but that their X-series is the entry-level offering.    Having said that, I hear that their "entry level" line is actually pretty well done compared to others; composite base, pumps attached using stainless hardware & rubber grommets, no diverters (each jet is individually controlled/adjustable), 3 yr component/shell/plumbing warranty, etc.    This tub isn't as aesthetically pleasing (to me) as the higher-end tubs that I've been focused on thus far, but at this price point, it's really got me thinking.    Every other 8-person tub that I've explored thus far would be approximately double in price (or slightly more).  I realize that I would be sacrificing some features/build quality and that it's not fair to compare a base tub such as the X8L to others like a HS Grandee.   However, I'm going to do just that and will hopefully be arriving at a decision here shortly!               

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:37:01 pm »
I can tell you, as a fellow BF dealer, $6500 for an X8L is insane... like going out of business insane. The dealer is no double losing money.  Whenever dealers do that I always tell folks to check into their service... you might be totally hosed in a year.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:42:50 pm »
Having said that, I hear that their "entry level" line is actually pretty well done compared to others; composite base, pumps attached using stainless hardware & rubber grommets, no diverters (each jet is individually controlled/adjustable), 3 yr component/shell/plumbing warranty, etc.    This tub isn't as aesthetically pleasing (to me) as the higher-end tubs that I've been focused on thus far, but at this price point, it's really got me thinking.   

You hear from? The dealer? They have a diverter at every jet pac, because they call it an individual control does not make it not a diverter. If you turn it down or up it "diverts" water to the pac or away. Don't let a sales pitch sway you. All tubs have individually controlled jets. Composite base, very common. Stainless fasteners also very common except on the lower value lines. I'd shoot for a 5 year warranty. Step up to the higher end BF if your interested in BF and wet test against the others.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 07:02:05 pm »
Having said that, I hear that their "entry level" line is actually pretty well done compared to others; composite base, pumps attached using stainless hardware & rubber grommets, no diverters (each jet is individually controlled/adjustable), 3 yr component/shell/plumbing warranty, etc.    This tub isn't as aesthetically pleasing (to me) as the higher-end tubs that I've been focused on thus far, but at this price point, it's really got me thinking.   

You hear from? The dealer? They have a diverter at every jet pac, because they call it an individual control does not make it not a diverter. If you turn it down or up it "diverts" water to the pac or away. Don't let a sales pitch sway you. All tubs have individually controlled jets. Composite base, very common. Stainless fasteners also very common except on the lower value lines. I'd shoot for a 5 year warranty. Step up to the higher end BF if your interested in BF and wet test against the others.

well first of all the X Series doesn't even have JetPaks...again you comment on things you know nothing about which is pretty comical

DKRanger22

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:00:51 pm »
I can tell you, as a fellow BF dealer, $6500 for an X8L is insane... like going out of business insane. The dealer is no double losing money.  Whenever dealers do that I always tell folks to check into their service... you might be totally hosed in a year.

I misspoke in that this doesn't include steps or cover lifter, but they offered to bundle them in for $200.  So I would be at $6,700 + tax.   From the sounds of your response, I probably should be jumping on this...

I dropped by the Caldera dealer again to see if they had any other tricks up their sleeves, and while they're not budging on the Cantabria, they are willing to play ball on a leftover 2015 Geneva (a little smaller, but still a good sized tub).  They offered this at $9,500 with cover, steps, lifter, chemicals and delivery, but will be checking to see if the upcoming promotion will be able to improve upon that.    Hoping to have some feedback from them tomorrow. 

These seem to be my leading contenders at the moment.   Thinking of putting a deposit on the Bullfrog while I wait for the final offer on the Geneva.   I know they won't be in the Bullfrog price territory, but if they can close the gap, I'd be willing to consider upgrading to the Caldera.  Otherwise, I'm thinking there's going to be an X8L coming to my backyard for the Fall...

39lasalle

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »
Dk, not really sure what your budget is but we just ordered a BF A7L for less than they quoted you on the Geneva,  we did not inquire about the 8 size as we did not want to go that big.   Might want to ask you Bull Frog dealer about the R8 series/size.   They do have a factory rebate going on til Monday.  I do realize prices are all over the place depending on regions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42