What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used hot tub questions  (Read 2234 times)

MikeK157

Used hot tub questions
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »
So i have my new hot tub in the garage waiting for a spring 2017 install. Still planning the composite deck project.I have a few questions for working with a used spa. I got a 2 year old Artesian Grand Cayman which has broken speakers but functioned otherwise with water in it.

1) Is it best to have it inspected upon installation since it has no water in it now?
2) Should i hire a private repair company or go to the dealer?
3) What parts are needing replacement when buying used? I imagine the filter would be key here.
4) Tub was drained from overhead not with actual drain. Should I clear out the tubing of waterprior to winter or will it evaporate? Its bone dry on the inside now.
5) Are parts generally cheaper from an online business? Or through the dealer?
6) Any other advice that would differ for a used tub vs new?

Hot Tub Forum

Used hot tub questions
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Used hot tub questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:15:29 pm »
So i have my new hot tub in the garage waiting for a spring 2017 install. Still planning the composite deck project.I have a few questions for working with a used spa. I got a 2 year old Artesian Grand Cayman which has broken speakers but functioned otherwise with water in it.

1) Is it best to have it inspected upon installation since it has no water in it now?
2) Should i hire a private repair company or go to the dealer?
3) What parts are needing replacement when buying used? I imagine the filter would be key here.
4) Tub was drained from overhead not with actual drain. Should I clear out the tubing of waterprior to winter or will it evaporate? Its bone dry on the inside now.
5) Are parts generally cheaper from an online business? Or through the dealer?
6) Any other advice that would differ for a used tub vs new?

1. You could, I would inspect it myself, And then maybe if you aren't comfortable before start up. when your ready to fire it up.
2. Get quotes by the hour, travel, ect. and ask about parts mark up.
3. Filter/s are key but also sitting can dry up pump seals and make them problematic at start up.
4. If your area goes below freezing by all means figure out how to evacuate the lines or hire it out.
5. This can go either way. Surplus from a dealer can be as cheap or cheaper than online. But most try and lower surplus. So the right stuff may have to be ordered. This costs time. Online is cheaper. Good sources out there online but you loose the dealers knowledge/expertise/advice, if they have it to offer.
6. Clean it good before start up. Use bleach and a soft scrubbing cleaner. Purge cleaner after it's up and running. Rinse well. Equipment side down for storage.
Retired

MikeK157

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »
My question which is i guess hypothetical is how much water is left in the pipes at this point and would it evaporate with the high heat we are still seeing.

I am in Canada so it'll definitely freeze over at some point but how much water is dangerous. 

The tub was emptied then turned on its side for transport and again turned back  to its operating position for storage so i wonder how much if any water would be left

So far the local dealer has not been helpful and has very expensive parts compared to stores online.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47:43 pm »
How much is left? Who know. Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

How much is left? Who know... Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

How much is left? Who know...... Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MikeK157

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:26 am »
How much is left? Who know. Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

How much is left? Who know... Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

How much is left? Who know...... Are you willing to risk destroying the spa when it freezes?

I gueaa the other question then is how do i clear the lines

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42