What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: n00b needs help deciding  (Read 4061 times)

tommyp

n00b needs help deciding
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »
Been lurking here for a while. Seems everyone has differing opinions on just about every mfg, make, model, construction, pump, jet count. You name it, odds are unless what you're buying says Jacuzzi, D1, or Hot Springs at least a few people will tell you that you're buying a piece of junk.

That said - I'm looking for advice/opinions without wanting, needing, or being able to spend 12k+ on a tub. I want something therapeutic - lower back, hips. Looking to keep it under 7k. Lights & water feature would be nice, able to comfortably sit 4. I understand sitting 4 means a 6 seater. Looking at the Vita Envie, but I can't find much about them. I have a decent deal locked in till Wed (sub 7k), but don't know what to do. I don't need a Rolls-Royce. I'm fine with a Chevy..so long as it don't break daily. Recommendations on other brands are welcomed. Replies of "it's crap" without some form of justification aren't.

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

n00b needs help deciding
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »

tommyp

Re: n00b needs help deciding
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:16:43 pm »
8 views, no replies. Any help would be appreciated.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:02 pm »
Don't know much about vita other then it's owned by maax. Maax makes a decent middle of the road tub. Some other options to look at would be Marquis celebrity series, Caldera vacanza series, hot spot, d-1 makes a tub under 7k (can't recall the series name), bullfrog x series, jacuzzi 200 series. If you don't want to buy a manufacturers entry level tub check to see if you have any Nordic dealers nearby. Depending on lounge or no lounge check out the jubilee or encore series. Both good tubs relatively inexpensive that should last awhile.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:03:24 pm »
What brands are around you?  What dealers are around you?  Not every brand is available in every city.  Its tough for some of us to recommend since we don't know what options you have in your city/town.

Do some homework on your end regarding what brands you have available near you and check to see if their pricing is in league with what you want to invest.  Then stop by a few places to see if any of the brands actually feel comfortable to you and fits your body type.  From there check out the dealer to see if they are reputable. 

Once you have narrowed down your decisions maybe then you should check in with forums, etc.  I'd be glad to help from that point as there is no use pushing you towards a spa that may not have a dealer near you for over 200 miles.  You may like the brand but is it in your interests to not get service?  Or if you do have a brand that we may recommend, but the dealer is just awful, again- is it in your interests? 

I hope this makes sense.  Good luck moving forward.

tommyp

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:07 am »
I actually have a good amount around me. Arcitc, Jacuzzi, Maax, Vita, Hot Springs, Hot Spot, Mira, Dream Maker, Cal Spas, Marquis, Elite, Beachcomber, Sunrise, Sundance, and I think a few more. I want it for therapy..and I noticed jet count and difference in the lower lines of the "top" brands is quite lower than the "middle of the road" brands. I asked around who I knew, found a neighbor with a Vita. Had their cheapest tub 11 yrs, and ended up replacing the heater twice and a controller once. Unsure if this is average on the repair side or not.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:22:20 am »
Jet count is not a good indicator of what is or is not quality.  A 1" jet and a 5.5" jet count the same but do they move the same amount of water?  What is the motor size?  How is the plumbing?  How do the jets *feel*? 

Therapy usually skews you away from low-end.  Not to say low end can't relieve aches and pains.  But mid-to-high-end will do it better and in more places, and likely with a better feeling jet. 

The tubs you have mentioned are all up and down the spectrum.  So there are many ways to go. It sounds like your neighbor did a fairly decent job of maintaining their tub.  Vita is a mid-range brand and with few things going wrong its likely they were on top of their water chemistry. 

In my personal opinion Sundance Jacuzzi and the high end units of Marquis are the best of the listed options (I may be an out on an island here but I never have been a Hot Springs fan.  I certainly respect the brand.  However:  They spend a ton on marketing and the units are expensive but I've never been a fan of their quality vs what you pay for.  But I am positive there are others in this forum that will dispute this and I am sure they'll do a good job representing their brand).

The rest of the brands are more mid-tier or low end.  Start at the top and work your way down.  If you cannot afford what the high end has to offer (or do not like the way they feel, don't fit you well, etc) then go to the next tier and investigate. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:57:10 am »
I actually have a good amount around me. Arcitc, Jacuzzi, Maax, Vita, Hot Springs, Hot Spot, Mira, Dream Maker, Cal Spas, Marquis, Elite, Beachcomber, Sunrise, Sundance, and I think a few more. I want it for therapy..and I noticed jet count and difference in the lower lines of the "top" brands is quite lower than the "middle of the road" brands. I asked around who I knew, found a neighbor with a Vita. Had their cheapest tub 11 yrs, and ended up replacing the heater twice and a controller once. Unsure if this is average on the repair side or not.

Vita was owned by a different company 11 years ago so they aren't the same at all.  You could have it 10 trouble free years or have it for 5 with a bunch of problems.  You just never know.  Jacuzzi, sundance, marquis, hot springs and beachcomber all make a good product.  Arctic has a lot of believers.  The rest are a step down in quality

Nick_M

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »
I am also looking at the Vita Envie and the sister tub, Elite 8000 (Elite & Vita are both under Maax and pretty much have the same guts & construction with slightly different shell mold).  Elite has a slightly better warranty (5 years vs 3 years).  Both are priced similarly (low 6s) which appears to be a lot of tub for the price compared with many other entry level models this size (92x92).  I will most likely end up buying one of these as the 2 dealers that carry these are close to me and have a A+ rating with the BBB and have been around a very long time with very good reputations.  Quite honestly, I can't stand the sales gimmicks I have gotten from other dealers regardless of what brands they carry.

Your head is probably spinning as mine was and still is and the only thing that I can say (I am an Engineer) is, be very careful with what you read on these forums and what sales people tell you.  Many (certainly not all) on here have a vested interested in promoting certain brands that they sell/represent and will give you a million and one reasons why their brand is better.  The one common theme that most will say regardless of who they represent and what their intentions are, is to dry and if possible wet test them, which I still have to do.  After that, try to compare apples to apples on specific components used, specifications, warranty, etc and make the decision that is best for you and your family within your budget.  Good luck and let me know what you end up deciding.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:08 pm »
be very careful with what you read on these forums and what sales people tell you.  Many (certainly not all) on here have a vested interested in promoting certain brands that they sell/represent and will give you a million and one reasons why their brand is better. 

I've actually found most industry people here attempt to be as unbiased as they can and are very helpful.

tommyp

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
Ended up w/the Elite 8000. Should be here in 3 weeks. The larger jets and better warantee are what sold me on it. Hoping I chose well enough. I think I got it for around 7k out the door before NYS tax. Looking forward to relaxing in it.

Nick_M

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 02:16:50 pm »
Tommyp, I just bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the same for similar reasons!  I added the CleanZone (ozonator) and AeroMaax system (blower) to mine and paid a little less, but they gave me better pricing cause I paid cash and wanted to take business away from the nearby Vita dealer and I also haggled pretty hard with them.

Bullfrog Spas Support

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:32:30 pm »
Noob,

Since you've asked about spas in the $7k range we just thought we'd make you aware of our X Series line as an option. There would be models that likely fit in that price category for you and the quality will be everything Bullfrog is known for. Built in the same factory, on the same top-quality frame, with same quality components as all Bullfrog Spas, just doesn't feature the benefits of the JetPak Therapy System.

Just a thought.

Happy shopping, whatever you choose you're going to love having a spa.

Jake
Bullfrog Spas Support

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:32:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42