What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum  (Read 3135 times)

wandak421

Scum
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »
I am so sick of the scum in the hot tub. Every time we run it on high we get nothing but skumy film. I have tried everything the spa company is no help at all. Any help?

Hot Tub Forum

Scum
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »

MarKee

Re: Scum
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:20:17 pm »
What kind of spa do you have and how old is it?

dlleno

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
and what do you mean by 'run it on high' and is this the only condition that produces the scummy film?  tell us please what your chemical program is like, what your sanitizer is, what the bather load is like, how many gallons is your spa, how old is the current water, etc.

wandak421

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »
When I have all of the jets on it foams and leaves film around it. We just bought it about 3 months. It is a hotsprings.

wandak421

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:56:23 pm »
Oops sorry it is a South Seas

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:51 pm »
And what is your chemical program?  When you test, what are your readings.
With a naw spa, assuming it gets heavy new spa use, it might be time to drain and refill.  You might want to purge.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:39:54 am »
I would purchase some Ahh-Some or Hot Tub Serum purge product and see if that helps your issues

dlleno

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:36:36 pm »
yea I'd agree with the above. its time to purge and start over.  and in your situation you should purge twice -- just to make sure you get everything.  get the Ahh-some hot tub and jetted bathtub cleaner (the gel, not the serum)

1.  dose with Ahh-Some per label directions
2.  drain
3.  refill, but don't balance or heat the water
4.  dose with Ahh-Some again.  the 2nd purge is to prove that you got everything the first time

I have considerable experience with this product on a troublesome spa and believe me the 2nd purge is necessary to prove that you got everything.  if, on the 2nd purge, you don't release any new material, then you can start dancing in the streets, as this will be a very good indication of success.  keep in mind that for a troublesome spa, it can take more than 2 or even 3 purges. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:23:19 am »
your going to have to make sure you are keeping oil, lotions, detergents out of the spa, you will also have to be on top of cleaning the filter in that spa...no offense, but South Seas filtration system is pure garbage, when you run 1 single 50 sq ft. filter in a 91" x 91" 450 gallon spa your going to have issues with water care if you aren't regularly cleaning/replacing that filter.

dlleno

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
ohhhh boy +1 on that -- great point BullFrogSpasMN! And Wandak421  if yours is a scheduled/timed filtration system that runs the jet pumps on low you may want to buck up for the additional electric bill and increase the schedule.  I think my Grandee is 250 sq ft per 500 gallons, and one of the five filters is dedicated to the 24x7 circ pump.  the other four are dedicated to each of the two jet pumps.  So yea, you've got a severely disadvantaged filtration system for the amount of water and associated bather capacity. 

clean the filter often and regularly, purge the spa itself often, and introduce a very meticulous set of rules around lotions, oils, and laundry detergents. Its hard to ask guests to shower first and to wash their swim suits separately, but those are the kinds of steps you may need to consider

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42