What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Occasional "buzz" from heater  (Read 5075 times)

tmaestas95

Occasional "buzz" from heater
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:28:50 pm »
So this could just be me being a paranoid new tub owner wondering about every little sound his tub makes, but I thought I'd ask anyway.  When my new Bullfrog R8 is running pump 1 on low (like during a filter cycle) every handful of seconds it makes a kind of "buzzing" noise.  It sounds as if something caused a bit of a shudder that caused a metal part somewhere to vibrate against something else.  The sound seems to be coming from the heater or somewhere thereabouts.  Here's a 30 second video that demonstrates the sound (might have to crank up your speakers a bit) - sound occurs around seconds 3, 6, 17, and 26.

https://goo.gl/photos/8ZYX3dhS9dba3nGH9

Any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Occasional "buzz" from heater
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:28:50 pm »

dukester75

Re: Occasional "buzz" from heater
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:02 am »
I'm also a new bullfrog AL7 owner and I've noticed the same occasional "buzz" coming from the heater area, so I will be curious to hear if anyone knows what it is or if its something to be concerned about it.

tmaestas95

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »
I sent the video to the dealer's technician and he said (with great confidence) that the sound is the heater element vibrating against the inside of the heater.  He said he called Bullfrog and they said to replace the heater (which will require the spa to be drained - why don't these things have slice valves??)

If your sound is the same I'm wondering if this is a common problem and if so why.....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:30:22 pm »
We really need a BF guy. There are a bunch around here but they seem to be slow to reply. I guess I would cut power and disconnect the heater then run it to help narrow the noise location. If it's a pump/sensor/switch rather than the heater you can continue to narrow.

Unless of course it is still in warranty. Then bug your dealer.
Retired

tmaestas95

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 06:26:43 pm »
2 months old - definitely under warranty.  Dealer says they'll replace the heater (although he's doing this based on my video only...he hasn't actually come out to listen to it, but he seemed pretty convinced that it was the element contacting the inside of the heater tube).

dukester75

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:38 am »
I wasn't able to listen to you video until today, but your buzz seems louder then mine. I have to get down right in front of my spa and listen carefully to hear the buzz on mine.  I'm not sure I'll even worry about mine unless it gets worse.

FL Person

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:24:55 am »
For the sake of thoroughness of the archives, I have a 2016 Bullfrog R6 and the Balboa heater was just replaced under warranty for the same issue.

FL Person

tmaestas95

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »
The dealer came out on Thursday to replace the heater, but when he got the heater out and looked at it he said he didn't think the element vibrating against the inside of the heater tube was what was causing my sound, since the element was no where near the edges when he examined it.  He went ahead and replaced it anyway since he'd already pulled it out and had a new one, but also did some nosing around inside the equipment area.  He suspects the buzz was actually coming from two of the bare copper ground wires coming off the pumps that were zip tied together on their way to the ground bar.  When I had done my initial hunting around for the sound I couldn't see behind the pack and so didn't see those grounds tied together.  The tech cut the zip tie and rerouted the grounds so they don't touch anywhere.  I just got home from a labor day weekend getaway and filled the tub - so far the sound now appears to be gone.

DKRanger22

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »
Glad to hear that you were able to figure it out!  Hope you're back to quiet and relaxing soaks from here on out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42