What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pseudomonas Bacteria  (Read 4032 times)

Gman1971

Pseudomonas Bacteria
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »
So after a long week now of frustration and time (still not over), and lots of money on a few new filters and chemicals I hope I have this figured out.

Got what i think is Pseudomonas Bacteria.  It seems to be extremely sticky around my water line and spreads with the consistency of toothpaste when I wipe it away. In the tub it floats around and seems to clump up as I cycle the water. Been skimming it with a net to help clean it out of the water its just like glue. This stuff is extremely nasty and as a new hot tub owner (10 months now) I hope I have learned a hard and valuable lesson on hot tub care.

Hope this won't be a recurring issue now that i have had it once. Assuming I can even get it all out.

Anyone else that's had this issue before I would love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Pseudomonas Bacteria
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pseudomonas Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:30:06 am »
 Pseudomonas bacteria lives in the water column and will usually result in a rash on your skin.  What you have sounds like a scum line, just wipe it off with a dish rag or something like that with some baking soda.  It's basically from people and heavy use of the spa, and from the water, specially if it's well water.  It can show up after using a clarifier type product, or after shocking.   

Sam

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:14:43 pm »
I would do a heavy dose of chlorine and then a system flush a few days later.  Ahh-some is probably the best product, imo.  There are instructions on here somewhere for a full decontamination as well. 

Good luck!

dlleno

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »
what you describe could be as benign as grease/oils build up or as nasty as a biofilm.  you should do a decon/purge routine.    I've come to the point in my maintenance process that I recommend a full blown purge in these situations:

1.  purge all new tubs when they are delivered from the factory. combine with a 50ppm decon
2.  purch all "new - owner" hot tubs that you take ownership of.  combine with a 50ppm decon
3.  purge a tubs a minimum every other water change and preferably every water change.  no need for a decon unless there is a problem

I now purge my spa on every drain.  it takes such little extra effort and cost, and after I started to see what material I release from my pipes its just a no brainer.  So what I recommend now is that you start purging every drain, and then based on the amount of material you release during the purge, you can consider purging every other drain.   

I'm afraid that stores and manufacturers have understated the importance of purging and even understated the dangers of biofilm buildup.  After fighting the problem of biofilms in my own tub (delivered contaminated from the factory) I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't purge more often, as I find it to be a necessity. 

JacuzziJack

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:33:45 am »
For new hot tub owners, can you please describe the 'purge' process?

Thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:00 am »

Thanks

You ever have to prep for a colonoscopy?  Pretty much the same thing, but easier on the hot tub.    ;)   

You basically pour a product into your spa, run the jets for how ever long the instructions say, then drain.   He suggest before every water change, I think most here would agree that's not necessary, but it's his spa.  I have never done mine, though I probably should. 

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16592.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:48:10 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

dlleno

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »
FYI I'm a big believer in purging at every drain and I personally do this. 

Sam

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 04:37:57 pm »

Thanks

You ever have to prep for a colonoscopy?  Pretty much the same thing, but easier on the hot tub.    ;)   

You basically pour a product into your spa, run the jets for how ever long the instructions say, then drain.   He suggest before every water change, I think most here would agree that's not necessary, but it's his spa.  I have never done mine, though I probably should. 

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16592.0

;D lol

I usually recommend a system flush maybe once per year or any time it may have gotten a little funky. 

dlleno

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 08:20:00 pm »
I have performed some lengthy experiments on this topic which are documented here:

http://boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge

In the above work I present several  evidenced-based recommendations and conclusions based on experimental results.  I personally think that the issue of biofilms is under emphasized and need to purge frequently  is under appreciated, especially the need to purge even when there is no water maintenance issue.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 08:20:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42