What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Newbie  (Read 6532 times)

momofmany

Hot Tub Newbie
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »
I am new (VERY new) to the hot tub world.

While we've always wanted a hot tub, it has never been an option.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, it is now a bittersweet possibility.

I have been researching hot tubs relentlessly and have tried to educate myself.  I want to be knowledgeable when I visit the local dealers as I am always concerned that I'll be taken advantage of as a single mom (you know what I mean).  It is frustrating that prices aren't available on-line and I feel like I am at their mercy.  It is hard to feel like you have any negotiating power when you don't even know what the ballpark figures are.

With a large family (and the kids always having friends over), we'd like as large of a hot tub as possible.  Unfortunately, I don't think the budget will allow that.   ::)  I was thinking a 7-8 person spa, but perhaps a 6 person spa will have to suffice.  We have cold winters and hot summers, so I'd like good insulation.  I'd also like an energy efficient heater, simple maintenance and a good warranty.  Adjustable jets would be great.  The other bells and whistles like lights , waterfalls and stereo are not necessary.  It will be used frequently by MANY teenagers (as well as myself).

Dealers in our area include:  HotSpring, FreeFlow, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Sundance, Dimension One, Nordic, and Bullfrog.

Might anyone have any advice for me?  I'd like to have some concrete information ... a minimum/maximum budget (even in my head - yes, I know how much cash I have obviously, but perhaps I will finance some depending on what the price turns out to be - it is so hard to plan for anything when I don't even have a starting point), some hard and fast "must haves," some optional "would be nice" features, and then some specific brands/models I should look at and wet test. 

I'm counting on all you hot tub veterans to help a girl out.   :) Pretty please?

Thanks so much,
Sandy.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Newbie
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hot Tub Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  One thing that might set your mind at ease about the buying process.  If you live in an area with some competition, as it sounds like you do, you're in charge.  Let them know you are a serious buyer and your shopping around.  Don't be afraid to walk out and come back another day.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »
You have quite the options and price points. Free flow will be the least expensive followed by Nordic. The other tubs will probably prices from 6k to 14-15k depending on what tub you are looking at. Some tubs to look at out of those while trying to stay in a budget would be the Nordic jubilee ls which is probably in the mid 6's price wise. Nice open tub that can fit 6-7. The vacancza series caldera and hot spot series hot springs should have a tub that would fit in the range of 6500-7000. The others have similarly priced tubs as well

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:45:28 am »
Dealers in our area include:  HotSpring, FreeFlow, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Sundance, Dimension One, Nordic, and Bullfrog.

Might anyone have any advice for me?  I'd like to have some concrete information ... a minimum/maximum budget (even in my head - yes, I know how much cash I have obviously, but perhaps I will finance some depending on what the price turns out to be - it is so hard to plan for anything when I don't even have a starting point), some hard and fast "must haves," some optional "would be nice" features, and then some specific brands/models I should look at and wet test. 

I'm counting on all you hot tub veterans to help a girl out.   :) Pretty please?

Thanks so much,
Sandy.

Hottubguy gave you some good feedback but otherwise there's not much to help you with yet. Fortunately you have a good number of options available to you and from that list there isn't anyone you'd want to avoid so shop them all and see what you like/what fits your budget. Then when you have a short list and more specific questions about the models you're interested in then maybe we can give you more specific feedback.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:30 pm »
Sandy,

Don't forget to budget in things like an electrician, a spa pad... we even had to replace our window with tempered glass to meet our city code and have our patio cover bonded to the spa.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »
Sandy,

Don't forget to budget in things like an electrician, a spa pad... we even had to replace our window with tempered glass to meet our city code and have our patio cover bonded to the spa.

This....your going to spend $8,000 - $14,000 for a good quality premium spa that will comfortably fit 6....that includes a "typical" electrical run from a certified electrician which ranges $500-$1,000.  Other potential costs to consider would be: crane (if needed), sand/gravel/ez-pad if you don't have a wood deck or cement slab already in place.

bmw328i2008

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 10:08:40 am »
Do your self a favor and call hot tub dealers from Florida and California. Tell them that you live in a town near that spa location and ask for a price. They will give you the price over the phone and you can use that as a way to gauge how much the tub really is. For example, I recently purchased a Caldera Salena Tub. Im from NJ and dealers around me wanted between $9000.00 and $10,000 for the tub. I called a Caldera Tub Dealer in California and found out I could get the same tub for $8100.00. I then had a base idea of what the tub was worth and how much profit they were trying to make off of me. With this information, I went back to my dealer and had them shave $600.00 off the price. I got it for $8,400 which is kinda of unheard of in my area. Hope this helps you.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:20:12 pm »
Do your self a favor and call hot tub dealers from Florida and California. Tell them that you live in a town near that spa location and ask for a price. They will give you the price over the phone and you can use that as a way to gauge how much the tub really is. For example, I recently purchased a Caldera Salena Tub. Im from NJ and dealers around me wanted between $9000.00 and $10,000 for the tub. I called a Caldera Tub Dealer in California and found out I could get the same tub for $8100.00. I then had a base idea of what the tub was worth and how much profit they were trying to make off of me. With this information, I went back to my dealer and had them shave $600.00 off the price. I got it for $8,400 which is kinda of unheard of in my area. Hope this helps you.

That may work with certain dealers...with our staff you'll get "good luck on your trip to California to pick it up"

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:14:27 pm »
400 dollars on shipping is about right even if it is cross country. If a dealer can put 10-20 on a truck and get 400 bucks shipping on each unit he could make a couple grand or more. Seems fair for the logistics and storage of said units.

And he didn't even sell a tub yet.........and if he buys 10-20 he likely can get a volume discount of several grand on the lot.

Still ain't sold a tub.......each customer dictates any additional profit they want to give the dealer through negotiation. But most dealers have a bottom line and know where it is, on every tub. The problem lies in the ones that don't sell quick.

Even if you get a great deal from the dealer (slightly over cost) he still made money. Hopefully enough to stay in business in case you need him again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:22:45 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

momofmany

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:08:07 am »
Just to follow-up ....

I went with a Caldera Vanto Vacanza.  I got the floor model with full warranty, start up chemical kit, cover, stairs, prolift, delivery and set-up and tax for a total of $7,001.05.

I think it's a good fit for what I was looking for.

Thanks for all your help.

aquaman617

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 06:31:46 am »
Good luck with the new tub!  I'm late to offering my advice, but perhaps it can help with lurking newbies... I wanted a spa for years and only decided to take the leap about 18 months ago.  I looked and knew the dealer I wanted to work with and had a rough idea about what I wanted.  I waited until the middle of a very snowy winter - people were barely digging themselves out of their driveways, let alone spa shopping.  I'm sure I was the only customer who came in for weeks when I walked in to the showroom ready to buy.  LOL  I ended up getting a Sundance Edison, including delivery, start-up kit and cover at a great bargain price.  So happy with the purchase.  But others are right, you need to factor in other expenses - site prep (concrete pad), electrical work, etc.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 06:31:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42