What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi 495 vs. Caldera Cantabria  (Read 4523 times)

Paul1211

Jacuzzi 495 vs. Caldera Cantabria
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »
Hi I'm looking for opinions on the Jacuzzi 495 or 480 (for lounger)  vs the Caldera Cantabria.

I'm going to be wet testing both this next week.

I have 6 people in my family so I need a big tub.

Preciate the help in advance.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:34:23 pm by Paul1211 »

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi 495 vs. Caldera Cantabria
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Jacuzzi 495 vs. Caldera Cantabria
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 04:22:43 pm »
Hi I'm looking for opinions on the Jacuzzi 495 or 480 (for lounger)  vs the Caldera Cantabria.

I'm going to be wet testing both this next week.

I have 6 people in my family so I need a big tub.

Preciate the help in advance.

Two reputable spa makers so if both dealers seem like they'll be good to do business with this really should come down to the wet test results and the deal you can get.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

maddigital

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
Paul,
I can help if you have any specific questions about the Cantabria. I have a 2014 Cantabria with the sound package but no experience with the jacuzzi models. We are in our tub at least 2 times a week since we got it.

Rich

Paul1211

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:55:02 am »
Paul,
I can help if you have any specific questions about the Cantabria. I have a 2014 Cantabria with the sound package but no experience with the jacuzzi models. We are in our tub at least 2 times a week since we got it.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I mainly wondering about the lounger?  The Jacuzzi 495 and the Hot Springs Grandee that I looked at did not have it.  Is it a big deal?  Use it often?

Thank you

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:20 am »
Great responses so far. As for the lounger, my first tub had one, my 2nd didn't.   I think my simplest advice, and maybe this only works for me. If you are buying a bigger tub than you  think you will need, got ahead and get the lounger.  If you are buying a smaller tub and it will be full more often, go without .
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

maddigital

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
The lounger is such a personal preference, especially between different manufacturers. My thought going into wet tests was that I wanted a lounger. (This was before I tried one. After my first few wet tests, I realize that for a medium to large size tub, the sacrifices you make in seating space isnt worth the few times I would want to lounge. I felt better sitting upright.

What I liked about the Cantabria size was that you got it all, lounger and all the other seats. I really like that the lounger has the massage settings which makes it feel unique to the other seats and can switch up the active jet patterns. There hasn't been one soak that I didn't wind up sitting in the lounger at least for 5-10 mins before I get out. Its a good complement if the lounger is not taking up the space of entire section of the tub IMO.

Another thing about the size was that even with 4-5 people in the tub, you never felt like you were too close to the person next to you because of the deep seats. I didnt have that feeling in the similar size Hotspring Gleam which has more of a bench style seating.

I hope to finally get around to posting my install pictures in the other section soon.

Here is a pic of my tub color combo just in case you are curious. Are you looking at a 2015 leftover or 2016 redesign?

Day it was delivered..

Placement in the backyard

Other angle

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:32:32 pm by maddigital »

Paul1211

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:21 am »
Looks good Rich!

We are looking at the 2016 model

DKRanger22

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:23:21 pm »
Can someone tell me the differences between the 15' and 16' models?   Is it just the cabinet, or are there other significant changes?  It seems like there was a pretty significant price hike for the 16' model, which I might be willing to swallow if it's more than just cosmetic gingerbread. 

maddigital

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
I have taken a look at the 16 model over my 14 and here is my take as a consumer
  • New cabinet that resists cracking and looks modern
  • New shell design. Old one was the same since the cantabria launched. Curves are smoother and little tweaks to the seats and valve switch locations
  • filter opening now has a grating to stop bigger things from floating in. Same filter
  • Jet housings are redesigned. Not sure this helps against the covers popping off easily from mine
  • removed old popup speaker locations that were covered when the small ones were added
  • illuminated exterior Cabrera logo with power indicator and sos light. Hotspings had this and now added to utopia series.
  • lounger seat handle now solid color and not clear. My transparent one shows micro cracks and this would fix that
  • control touchpad are the same
  • added more underwater lighting. The old one only had a light in the volcano jet and one in the footwell. New one has more led points that illuminate the water better

That's about what i saw. Lots more cosmetic and a little to address past issues that were more annoying thab anything. I would go for the updated model as it has some changes to the aging old design. It would be a hard decision if there was a significant discount on a leftover 2015. The jets and internals are essentially the same.

Mad

DKRanger22

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 09:11:47 am »
Great feedback - thank you, Rich!

richierich

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »
I really like the look of the redesigned 2016 Caldera Utopia series. Looked at them in 2013 and liked the Niagara. The neck jets from the headrest and the mini lounge seemed odd though and the price was higher than what I ultimately ended up with, an Optima. The Cantabria is such a large tub that the lounge makes sense, it doesn't take up so much room. In some tubs the lounge seems to take up half the tub. I wet tested the Sundance Cameo and didn't like it much. If I were looking for a bigger tub, the Cantabria would be on the list.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42