What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa as a pool  (Read 3226 times)

Jostudly

Spa as a pool
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:48 am »
I plan on turning the temp down to the lowest for July and August and using my spa as a pool to cool off on. Just wondering if sunscreen does get in the tub is it going to mess up the water as much when it's cold or clog the jets? I know after the summer I will have to drain it and start over again. Also will I need to put as much chemicals?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa as a pool
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:48 am »

JustAnotherNewbie

Re: Spa as a pool
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:50:12 am »
I was thinking of doing the same. What temp will you set it at?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:43:05 am »
Sunscreen and any lotions will foul the water. Supposed water proof sunscreen might hurt less, but I am betting it will still cause a problem because parts of the hot tub that come in to contact with your body will rub off.   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:02:08 am »
All that stuff and makeup, body lotions will come off in water. Swimming suits not rinsed enough are another problem. Our tub gets used by the two of us 98% of the time and we almost always shower before getting in and then jump straight in the tub. The other 2% of the time with guests coming over with swimwear and body lotions and all the rest I hit the sanitizer harder after and will at least check the filter the next day and most of the time clean it. It is quite noticeable normally.

A swimming pool is much more water and much colder than even a turned down tub will be. We back ours down in the 90’s when it gets hot and it is nice and refreshing. Just watch your levels closer and clean filters more often and you should be fine. It is only water change it as soon as it needs it.   

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:42:32 am »
The directions for any tub are for you to shower first prior to entering.  I understand that none of my customers really adhere to that.  However, lotions and the like will indeed cause issues as wmcall noted. 

If you absolutely must enter the water with that on your body (and I do not recommend that as its tough to remove oils) use a product specifically designed to remove said lotions and oils.  In addition, purchase a "Scum Ball" or buy a fresh sleeve of tennis balls to put in the tub to help pick up the contaminants.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Jostudly

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »
Another reason for the sunscreen is that I purchased a floating lounger to tan in my hot tub so getting in and getting out will add sunscreen to the water.

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »
Rather than putting sunscreen on your body I would suggest adding it over your tub. I have a couple sun shade umbrellas that block 80% of the sun. we have a pergola with a solid roof over ours that can be removed. It is needed for snow in the winter.

Jostudly

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
I am putting a sun shade over my hot tub so I won't burn while laying on my air mattress. How long can I keep water in my hot tub turned to the lowest setting with no chemicals in it before I need to change it?

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:29 am »
 I would say with no chemicals you could go a week or so.

Just because you turn the temp low doesn’t mean you don’t need to add some sanitizer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42