What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Yet Another Patio question  (Read 12570 times)

tmaestas95

Re: Yet Another Patio question
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 12:25:40 am »
I had the city tell me today they want a building permit for the tub - at an estimated cost of $800!  And that's before the electrical permit.  You want to talk about crazy?  After hearing that, I'd jump for joy if they had told me ~$250....

Did you tell them it was a portable hot tub?

Yes - although I have reiterated it to them in my last reply asking, basically, WTF.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 12:25:40 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
I had the city tell me today they want a building permit for the tub - at an estimated cost of $800!  And that's before the electrical permit.  You want to talk about crazy?  After hearing that, I'd jump for joy if they had told me ~$250....

a $800 building permit for a hot tub? do they provide lube when you go and pay? In 15 years I've never heard of such a thing

tmaestas95

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 11:28:26 am »
a $800 building permit for a hot tub? do they provide lube when you go and pay? In 15 years I've never heard of such a thing

Supposedly (still trying to get clarification) the municipal code classifies the tub as a "swimming pool" - the definition for which is: a “Swimming pool” means a pool, pond, lake, or open tank capable of containing water to a depth greater than one and one-half feet at any point.  The building permit fee for 1-100sqft is $628, and the plan check fee for same is $136, plus $38 issuance fee.  Seems insane to me - if anyone wants to check out my City's fee schedule and tell me if I have any ground to stand on arguing this I'd appreciate it - http://www.cityofamericancanyon.org/home/showdocument?id=987  (section 7).

htnj

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 12:25:30 pm »
Same in my town; not as expensive, but all the same.

It's considered an above ground pool and has to follow all those rules.  I too needed building, plumbing, electrical, and zoning.

tmaestas95

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »
It seems "prefabricated swimming pools" with a capacity < 5000 gallons and a depth of <24" are exempt from needing a building permit according to this http://www.cityofamericancanyon.org/home/showdocument?id=5028

I'm pretty sure the Bullfrog R8 is deeper than 24" in the deepest part of the tub, but I'm going to point out this exemption to them and see what they say.  Some surrounding cities list the same exemption but without the 24" specification.....

tmaestas95

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »
So I decided to go ahead and start with the frame/gravel idea on top of my existing patio and see where it takes me - can someone take a look at this photo and let me know if I'm moving in the right direction or if I'm way out in left field?  I intend to finish this off with a couple inches of stone dust/decomposed granite (same thing, right?  No?)  With the weight of the tub do I need to be concerned about the frame bowing out or is all the force basically straight down?  The frame is screwed 2x6s, with 2x4s attached (screwed) around them and 3 concrete wedge anchors per side drilled into the patio.

bud16415

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:32 am »
I think it will take the weight fine that way.

It will be a bit more effort getting the tub up on top the pad. I personally wouldn’t like the extra height. I considered setting mine half way into my deck as that would be my ideal height for a hot tub same level as my top step is now. My steps bump up tight to the panel on the side of the tub yours will be set back by the 2x4 and framing. That space you will have to watch getting in and out.

Think about how you want the tub orientated on the pad. We have 6 seats but 3 that get the most use and I wanted them to also have the best views of the yard and stars etc. Also where you get in and out from the steps we placed out stairs so that when you step in you come down on the cool down seat. It is the highest and also the flattest seat and the seat that is the least likely to have someone sitting in it.

Another thing to preplan is where the control panel is located and how much clearance you have for the cover lifter. If in your photo the cover will hinge back in the direction of the planter you will want to be able to get at it from one of the two sides where the benches are to walk it back. Try and have your cover when open in a location that blocking the view in that direction doesn’t matter. The lifter we have takes about 24” of room and we have it flip to the house. Having a space there is nice when the cover is closed to get behind the tub for cleaning and such. 

Lastly figure out how your power will be run. I brought mine under the wood deck and thru the base of the tub but yours will have to enter one of the two front corners of the tub. Will you bury the conduit or run it on top of the slab.

tmaestas95

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 01:04:20 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts.  Entry into the tub is an area of concern because of the offset caused by the 2x4s as you mentioned - I may just enter from the bench sides, unless I end up extending the frame out further somehow so the steps can sit flush against the tub.

The plan at this point is to have the cover lift back towards the planter box - this will act as a privacy shield against the neighbors in that direction.

I had my electrician out to plan the power run - it will run against the house, which is off-photo to the left behind the bench, then a short run from the house buried under the rocks at the back of the slab and come up at the back side of the frame (the bullfrogs have entrance points on all three non-"front" sides)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:37 pm »
   What is the size of that base?  I think it would be fine as is, no need for any added stone dust, but that's me. 

Since you seem to be handy building stuff?  I would build a nice one or two psc removable step from the end of one bench to the other, kind of a wrap around the corner of the spa look.  That would hide the raised base, be easier to get in the spa and generally look really nice to finish it off.    You could even add a flat spot at each corner for planted pots or something..

And please tell me you didn't pay 800+ for a permit!    :-\

tmaestas95

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »
The base is 8'x8'x5.5".  Adding stone dust was mostly to more easily level/flatten it out - the base rock/road base that's in there now is giving me fits trying to get it flat and level.  Interesting idea with the steps, I'll have to give that some thought.

I came to the conclusion that I was going to...stop interacting with my city's building department regarding this matter :)

bud16415

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 02:05:52 pm »
I think the benches will get in your way opening the cover. It looks like on the R8 you will enter stepping over the control panel and the filter compartment will be on the left side then. That position looks like it is the big flat seat so that should be good.

Will you still be using the bench seats once you have the tub in place? You would have to sit with your back to the tub. I have seen setups where something like your bench is higher like table height and people can sit on stools facing the people in the tub. It is nice having something like that next to the tub to hold stuff for the people in the tub also. 

Looks like a nice place for a tub.

As to getting the city involved I didn’t mention a thing to anyone. Built the deck set the tub and wired it myself all to code. Every town is different but make sure it is all done correctly/ especially the electrical. Keep your GFCI breaker panel in site of the tub but not too close and test it once a month.
You will love every minute of owning a hot tub. 

tmaestas95

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
For posterity and the archives, thought I'd upload a few final pics showing where I ended up.

Here's the pad finished off with the stone dust

Here's the tub, cover closed.  I still need to figure out a final solution for the steps, but shimming them with a left over piece of 2x6 to get them level with the 2x4s surrounding the frame works for the time being.

Cover open:

DKRanger22

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 04:58:13 pm »
Looks great!  How are you enjoying your R8?  I just closed a deal on one today. 

tmaestas95

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:21 pm »
Looks great!  How are you enjoying your R8?  I just closed a deal on one today.

Loving it except for one very minor issue which you can read about here if you're so inclined http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,20140.0.html

JacuzziJack

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 10:17:42 am »
$800 for permits would upset my stomach. Looks like you found a good solution. Looks nice. Now time for some patio gas lamps??
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:19:43 am by JacuzziJack »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 10:17:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42