What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: trex or something else?  (Read 5762 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
trex or something else?
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »
Ok, time to get the old decking off and replace it. I made the very regrettable mistake of using Deck Restore and now have a nightmare of peeling paint...Just talking about the tremendous amount of work that went into prep and painting makes me angry...so I will  ask for advice on a composite product! I have a great contractor and he has figured out how we can roll the hot tub as he finishes an area (I won't have to pay to have it removed from the deck and reinstalled). But he has deferred to me for the product choice...Trex? Moistureshield? I have no clue but I know lots of folks on here have composite decks :). thanks for any suggestions
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

trex or something else?
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »

Chief Kyle

Re: trex or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:49:23 pm »
We removed are are old wooden deck and replaced it with Trex about 10 years ago, and we love it.  There is some maintenance involved (cleaning); I do mine every spring...piece of cake.  Just make sure if you or somebody else is doing it to follow the manufacture's directions, composite lumber is not like regular lumber...needs more support.

And....it is more ???'s

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:28:01 pm »
Boni,

I have Timbertech and it is nice. Some thoughts though ... it needed 12 inch joists on center to support it, not 16 inch; it gets hot in the sun; it is virtually maintenance free but we do go out every spring and scrub it down with a bleach, dish soap and water solution and the decking that I got has two negatives - it is tongue and groove (they do't make this anymore) and it cupped a little over the years and for some reason my fascia board kind of cupped as well and I'm not sure why. I went with Timbertech as Trex was having a mold issue back then (11 years ago) and the tongue and groove is virtually bug free for our screen room. The cupping problem is not in our screen room just the area by the tub so I am assuming that I installed it too tight and the expansion caused the cupping. Anything else that you think of - just ask!

Chief Kyle

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:44:27 pm »
Vinny is correct Trex did have a mold/mildew issue but it has been resolved, Timbertech is good choice too. Trex also gets hot during the summer, we have an awning over half of our deck...that part doesn't get hot 😊 They also make hidden fasteners that give you the proper spacing between the planks.  Spacing for The Trex decking is 1/4" - 3/8".  I follow the same cleaning recipe as Vinny but also add a little Simple Green concentrate and then I pressure wash it gingerly, if you're not careful it can damage the decking.  It is more money than cedar or fir I built mine when they were having the mold/mildew issue and if I remember correctly we paid $6000.00 for materials it may have been more...it has been a decade ago.  Our deck wraps around our house one part is 12x12 and the other is 12x30.  Low maintenance....no treating or staining....but some people love wood...I like less work😀

summerside9000

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:15:04 am »
I went with Trex about three years ago. 12 inch spacing yes. Hidden fasteners yes. Easy clean yes. looks great yes. Clean up the greasy stains asap though or they are hard to get out.
It seems like any cleaner will do really. I have used TSP and dish soap a few times.
Anything other than a special cleaner voids the warranty but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Use simple green as the other reader suggested and a scrub brush and hose.
Yes it gets hot in summer so buy an umbrella.
Feels great on the feet when the sun goes down. Timber tech would likely be the same.

htnj

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
I have EverGrain decking made by Tamko.  It was put down in 2001 I believe, well before I bought our house.

It's really impossible to keep clean.  Because it uses a wood fiber filler, mixed with the composites, it still has organic properties and it molds and mildews like crazy.
Because the deck is large (~ 1600 sft) it takes me about 6 hours to powerwash it, and in 2 months is nasty and dirty like I never touched it.  I would def NOT use it again in the future unless they come up with a new formulation or something.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:12:42 pm »
I know there is maintenance involved but nothing beats a nice wood deck imo...just not a fan of the plastic stuff, especially after I nearly broke a tailbone twice slipping on the crap

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:44 pm »
I have only played with composite decking for a couple customers. I think both times it was Trex, it was solid, easy to install and looked good. We were adding on so older composite was butted to newer and you could see fading and dirty areas that stained and it was tough to scrub if you didn't clean up acidy spills quickly (juice, coke, others) same as wood.

I am thinking about my 1100 sf deck as the current green treat that was originally installed in 1980 (I built this deck for a customer and 8 years ago bought the house from them.) They or I have never stained/or coated it with anything. And it is in bad shape. Not fall down rotten, but faded, some warpage, shady/moldy areas get cleaned regularly, yearly. But it has been very low maintenance for 36 years....... sans slivers. That's not bad longevity. I will be dead long before it needs another deck. But you have to be willing to have a grey deck. And it requires power washing yearly as does composite. To me either option will have to be considered but cost will be the deciding factor. I like grey, matches my house. I don't think either has an advantage.

But I do live in logging country  ;)

I prefer cedar 5/4" decking. I love working with it. Great camp fires with the scraps. Looks great grey, and as it ages. Lasts for 30-40 years. Maybe 60-80 with composite??? Or less??? I guess I don't know??? But I've never owned a house that long. And never will. I have a feeling cedar cost will overrun composite in my research because I have to change out more material (posts, joist facia). I've owned 3 and built 20-30 big cedar decks. The last one I owned the wife made me stain. Had to divorce her to get out of staining that thing every couple years. Built a few since and always recommend not staining or treating or god forbid, painting. Most people choose colors other than fade to grey. I don't stain decks.

Did I mention I will likely stay with treat because it's the least expensive option. They make brown treat now. Fades a little different but catches up to the same grey in a few years.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:41:02 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »
I know there is maintenance involved but nothing beats a nice wood deck imo...just not a fan of the plastic stuff, especially after I nearly broke a tailbone twice slipping on the crap

The Timbetech decking I have is not slippery with water although Ice is another story! I don't believe Trex is slippery when wet either.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:51:58 pm »

The Timbetech decking I have is not slippery with water although Ice is another story! I don't believe Trex is slippery when wet either.

The stuff I installed was patterned. Didn't seem like it would get slippery. But I suppose certain kinds/patterns.
Retired

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 09:24:09 pm »
Thanks so much! I just don't want the wood deck that I have now. Like I said, I used Rustoleum Deck Restore and it ruined my deck! To remove it would be more costly than any composite replacement. It's on the north side of the house so I'll have to deal with the algae but anything would be better than his mess that I have!  >:( ! I was so angry over this stuff that I actually hung around Home Depot paint department to tell people NOT to buy it!lol...so the tub will also be fine on Trex? I'm pretty nervous about moving my tub, but my friend says he will put it on pipe and roll it out of the way and on to the completed part of the deck. 

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 05:18:37 pm »
So my project has started! Thanks for all the help. :) :) :) I selected Azek (same as TimberTech or same mfg). Taking the advice you all gave, it is light in color (actually matches my siding) and textured! I am so excited but kind of sticker shocked  :o that stuff is expensive! Iam just so happy that after 30 years of cleaning, sanding preping and painting or staining I can retire from that!...I have only to wash my deck each year. Finally a job I can handle  (Oxyclean does wonders) with minimal doses of Advil!! Tomorrow (weather permitting) they will roll the tub over to the completed side of the deck. I super shocked it and drained it so I'm ready!   ...Vinny, do you still have the same email?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:12 pm »
Neat, send us a photo.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42