What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera wet test and D1 bargain  (Read 3822 times)

CCC

Caldera wet test and D1 bargain
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:38:06 am »
I wet tested a Caldera Niagara today and while I really wanted to like it, it just wasn't comfortable. My tallness and long torso made it so that not one seat was really very comfortable. The pillows were just in the way, and I had to scrunch in every seat. Not what I was expecting for a 38" deep tub. The tubs looked very nice and they were blowing out their Genevas and Niagaras for 10K or 10.5 K. I liked the woman who worked there as well. Alas, it is not meant to be. I'd recommend them for anybody to look at, but it just didn't fit me.

Then, on a whim, I stopped by the D1 store. The building was kinda run down and it seems their bread and butter was Cal Spas before taking on D1 in December. I didn't even know this dealer existed until about a week ago. I wanted to see a Nautilus and a Chairman, but they had neither. I cannot find much information about how their service department rates, However:

They had an Amore Bay sitting on the floor filled up. It had an outrageous price on it and wasn't even going to bother wet-testing it until the owner said he would sell it for 13,500. That is more than I intended to spend, but it seems like a smoking good deal because it has every damn option on it including the sound system (which I never intended on buying but hell, if it's already there, why not? I am going to measure and how well it will fit in our spot.

Is that a pretty good deal for an Amore Bay floor model that's been full since December? I know that D1 has a lot of fans but on the other hand they are owned by Jacuzzi so is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are they still made in the USA?

The minute I sat in that lounger and the water came up to my neck I was in heaven. No other tub has come close to allowing me to sit in a seat and feel that deep. The rest of the spa was great, too, and the foot and leg jets in the lounger were awesome. Of course all the fru-fru stuff is nifty and their water features were pretty damn cool, and I never really though that about any others I've seen.

Anybody in the Portland area know about this dealership? (Spas of Oregon). I talked to both the owner and a salesman and they were very helpful and non-pushy and they never once trash-talked the competition which was pleasant. Their newness at dealing with this brand is a little concerning. This tub is not much more money than a Grandee (which I cannot wet-test).

I think I'll go back tomorrow and look at the Marquis and the HotSpring again just to be sure. Should be a good day to shop on Super Bowl Sunday. Conversely, I may not get many responses on here for the same reason!

Happy Super Bowl everyone!

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera wet test and D1 bargain
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:38:06 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Caldera wet test and D1 bargain
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:36:43 am »
D1 makes a great tub. As good or better that most of the top brands on the market.
Retired

gonzo1

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »
Thanks for sharing! I've been doing a lot of research and really like what I see with the D1 Amore Bay, so this is very helpful. Unfortunately there isn't a dealer in my area (Charlotte, NC), so don't think we'll be able to wet test before purchase. I've reached out to a local dealer who doesn't currently carry D1 to see if he could resell it, and he seems open to it. As someone who services all types of spas he's familiar with D1 and said good things about them, his primary concern was the FF (full foam) insulation and difficulty of repairing leaks. I'm new to all of this so hadn't considered that, and based on some more searching here it seems like a legitimate consideration, although not necessarily big enough to disqualify a spa if it otherwise fits your needs.

Good luck with your decision, interested to hear how it goes!

Go Panthers!!!

Sam

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
IMO, the Amore Bay is one of the best spas you can get, period.  That thing is incredible and that is a good price.  If you can swing it, you can't go wrong.  The bay series spas by D1 are incredible.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:51 pm »
After D1 was bought by Jacuzzi, the factory was moved to Mexico.  Spas of Oregon has been around for awhile, the Cal brand seems to be dying off so I wonder if they will be around in the long run.

Let me know if you want to wet test an Epic and I can arrange to get one filled for you.

CCC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:54:47 am »
Markee, got a story to tell you about that but you can P.M. me if you want the skinny. I stopped by your store on Superbowl Sunday.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:54:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42