What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Balboa Wifi Module  (Read 7926 times)

Letran

Balboa Wifi Module
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:15:18 pm »
I'm having a hard time getting to set this thing up. I've reset it twice now.

I'm good with everything up until the point of me saving my SSID/password. After choosing the network name and entering the password it won't let me SAVE. The button is there I keep on pressing it doesn't do anything.

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar issues with these wifi modules.

Hot Tub Forum

Balboa Wifi Module
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:15:18 pm »

JustAnotherNewbie

Re: Balboa Wifi Module
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »
I had the same problem. just couldn't figure it out. eventually while messing with my phone, io notices the spa has it's OWN Wi Fi. Mine is named BWGSpa_23D42, I was able to connect directly to it and monitor and control it, etc. But no matter what I did I couldn't connect it to my home WiFi . I gave up and just use it directly.

Letran

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »
I managed to get it all connected last night after at least 4 tries.

Yes The wifi-module initially and upon reset will have its own. Once you enter the your wifi for local and cloud control the BWGXXX will no longer broadcast. BWGxxx is what you need to connect initially then enter your own personal wifi-settings so that you are able to connect to the tub even when you are far away from the tub but have local access to you home router, which will then also allow you to control the tub via any internet connection (well as long as your tub is connected to your router)

Balboa has youtube instructions. Are you connecting to Android or iOS?

Letran

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:09:34 pm »
wow, does this $%#&# module/app lose connection all the time?

I've got it all working one day and now no connection again. grrrr

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
I hear you! I'm using android and have tried and tried, still can't get it to connect to the home WiFi with zero success. Definitely regret adding it on .

Letran

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 02:50:09 am »
I hear you! I'm using android and have tried and tried, still can't get it to connect to the home WiFi with zero success. Definitely regret adding it on .

try connecting with an iOS device FIRST

I tried desperately a few times. deleting, installing etc. no cheese

I tried on an fully updated iPad. it finally saved and transferred the connection to all my devices including my Android devices.

keeping the connection active is another issue.

Good Luck

dave48103

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »
We have never been able to keep the connection going for more than a day or so. Spoke to a couple techs at balboa. I've tried a wifi extender, placing my router about 5' from the tub, and even moved their unit outside the tub. The tech says I have to power the tub off then on to reset the connection.  Kind of defeats the purpose. I've concluded its just a crappy piece of technology and balboa knows it

Letran

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 11:52:15 pm »
We have never been able to keep the connection going for more than a day or so. Spoke to a couple techs at balboa. I've tried a wifi extender, placing my router about 5' from the tub, and even moved their unit outside the tub. The tech says I have to power the tub off then on to reset the connection.  Kind of defeats the purpose. I've concluded its just a crappy piece of technology and balboa knows it

I was going to dry all of the above to make it work. Now that I know it still won't work. that is just depressing. I paid $500 for this POS.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:58 pm »
I've sold one wifi add-on from Balboa with a spa to a customer and have had nothing but fits.  I've replaced almost everything that is a component with the app and I am having all the same issues as you guys.  Additionally, I've spoken with others in the industry and they're all in the same boat.  I will not be offering wifi as an option on any of my units until this issue is remedied.

emichael

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
After having a very negative call with "Joe" at Balboa who blamed my wifi for the problem I have proceeded to install additional wifi access points closer to the hot tub.  The most recent was actually installing an access point inside my hot tub.  Here is the statistics from the wifi management console for the hot tub:

Take a look at the dBm, it doesn't get much better than that!  Balboa wanted better than -50dBm.  The first access point I connected this to was at -49dBm - on the edge, but still within the limit.  That is on a tower about 75 feet away.  Balboa complained that it was over 50ft, which is all they support.  The second wifi access point was 12 feet away, and this one is now 10 inches away.  (Yes, all the access points are on separate channels and are not interfering with each other).

Talking to the dealer, they suggested it could be interference from the motors in the hot tub.  That doesn't fly for two reasons.  1) This thing is (or should be) designed to work inside the hot tub enclosure.  2) The disconnects happen after 5-7 days.  If it was interference from the motors, the wifi module would disconnect whenever the motors ran - which is more than ever 5-7 days!

Anyway, Marquis is doing their due-diligence to take care of me as a customer - even though I believe the problem is actually with Balboa.  They sent a tech out today who swapped out the wifi.  That is the obvious next step for troubleshooting.  We'll see how long this one stays connected, but I am not holding my breath!

Thanks,
-Eric

Letran

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »
I tried to actually get my Artesian dealer to send me a new module but he just said that from what he has read everywhere that a new module will not help.

When it get's warmer I'll try to bring the module inside the house via the flex tube connected to the breaker. I'm going to have my electrician do this of course. But I'm hoping that one its okay to do it that way, two that it is not against code. Well and three that the wifi module cable is long enough (which it should be the breaker is less than five feet from the tub)

Once the module is inside my basement wall, I pray that I doesn't drop signal any more.

emichael

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:04:49 pm »
The replacement Balboa WiFi module made is 16 days without disconnecting.  This is 2-3 times what the original module did.  Keep in mind, this is with a WiFi access point mounted inches away from the Balboa module inside the hot tub.

Curiously, I noticed drops in connection performance.  It would run a full strength at around -22dBm.  Then it would slowly worsen to around -74dBm.  Then it would cycle back to full strength. 

I have marked this test as complete and I removed the temporary WiFi access point from inside the hot tub.  The current access point it is connecting to is around 15 feet away under the eves of the house.  I will see it stays on-line or whether it drops off again.

...ll try to bring the module inside the house via the flex tube connected to the breaker. I'm going to have my electrician do this of course. But I'm hoping that one its okay to do it that way, two that it is not against code. ...

Good luck with that.  It is a big no-no to run low voltage cable in the same conduit as electrical wires.  Plus this is data on the Balboa module wire - it is prone to interference from electrical wires - especially the 220v your spa is probably using.

Thanks,
-Eric

swilly1000

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 07:13:59 am »
Took me a while to get it working but it's up and running now with continuous connectivity from anywhere for the last few days.

You have to be diligent and orderly when setting it up. I had to delete and reinstall the app a couple of times until I got it to work but so far so good.  It's definitely not plug 'n play.

I'm guessing by the lack of recent posts in this thread that Balboa has improved the app.

Anyone else?

emichael

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:27 pm »
Original poster here....

So it works now.  Somewhere along the line Balboa changed some stuff internally and now the little device stays connected to my Wifi for the most part.  Once in a while it will disconnect for about 20 minutes or so and then automatically reconnect.  That is relatively rare - like every 3-4 months. 

As for the app....  Yeah, they made it worse in my opinion.  The functionality is the same, but they put a different GUI on it.  The GUI is more cumbersome than the old one - very difficult to change the temp, etc.  For example the temp control is a 'round slider bar' that is difficult to be precise with.  A temp number along with an up/down arrow would be much more intuitive and easier to work.

And finally....  Why, oh why, can't they remove the mandatory opening question for "Spa Mode".  Why do I have to select "Connect" or "Demo Mode" every time I open the app?  As a customer, of course I want to connect!!!  "Demo Mode" should really be a settings option so that the retailers can turn it on when needed and it is pretty much buried for the rest of us.

Thanks,
-Eric

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42