What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice on planning deck around a sunken Tub  (Read 6488 times)

Letran

Advice on planning deck around a sunken Tub
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:12 pm »
I have been enjoying my new hot tub the last few weeks.

It is currently on a concrete slab two feet away from the back wall of my house.

I've been sitting in the tub planning things around me. Who better could give me better insight than members of this forum.

Here is the background.

The deck is attached and will span the back of most of the house. The door coming from the house leads directly to the kitchen. Privacy was very important for my wife when i was planning the deck around the tub.

I've planned the tub to be flushed with the deck floor. (not knowing much about using the tubs then) I'm considering raising the tub up 18" above the floor but my wife is still not convinced. My reasons in raising the tubs are, placement of cover lifter- most in the market needs some clearance - I have seen lifters designed for flushed tubs that is installed on the deck, ease of entering the tub - my wife wood rather install a grab handle and still flush it, another reason for me not flushing it is that being so close to the floor might also affect the cleanliness of the water from splashes, I imagine. Aesthetically though I would prefer a flushed tub

I'm also considering raising the side near the wall to be a convenient place to rest drinks towels etc. although I was also thinking of a dedicated towel warmer inside the cabinet in the wall where the BBQ is backing onto

I also thinking of putting an outdoor gas fireplace on the deck wall as well as maybe an outdoor TV enclosed in a glass cabinet.

I'm finding it hard to place speakers around the tub because of metal objects 10ft rule

I will put an outside shower right beside the tub

Since the deck is not built yet, I'm toying with an idea of creating a built-in drainage system extended all the way to the drain on the street which is the front of the house. I'm a little concerned where I drain this water. I have a basketball court cement slab in the backyard that I'm avoiding to drain tub water on due to frost heaving.

Just considering all the things I could do before the deck comes up. Any input is appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/93lg1m6mcadeyol/11.png

http://www.mediafire.com/view/aji1cu3j0jil5k2/22.png
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:00:14 pm by Letran »

Hot Tub Forum

Advice on planning deck around a sunken Tub
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:12 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Advice on planning deck around a sunken Tub
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
I have been enjoying my new hot tub the last few weeks.

It is currently on a concrete slab two feet away from the back wall of my house.

I've been sitting in the tub planning things around me. Who better could give me better insight than members of this forum.

Here is the background.

The deck is attached and will span the back of most of the house. The door coming from the house leads directly to the kitchen. Privacy was very important for my wife when i was planning the deck around the tub.

I've planned the tub to be flushed with the deck floor. (not knowing much about using the tubs then) I'm considering raising the tub up 18" above the floor but my wife is still not convinced. My reasons in raising the tubs are, placement of cover lifter- most in the market needs some clearance - I have seen lifters designed for flushed tubs that is installed on the deck, ease of entering the tub - my wife wood rather install a grab handle and still flush it, another reason for me not flushing it is that being so close to the floor might also affect the cleanliness of the water from splashes, I imagine. Aesthetically though I would prefer a flushed tub

I'm also considering raising the side near the wall to be a convenient place to rest drinks towels etc. although I was also thinking of a dedicated towel warmer inside the cabinet in the wall where the BBQ is backing

I would absolutely recommend keeping the spa above the deck level but the cover lifter would be my second reason for doing so. My main reason would be the ease of getting in/out of the spa vs having it even with the deck. When the spa sits even to the deck level you'll be crawling in/out of it which sux. When you raise it above the deck level so that the seat and deck are on the same plain its SOOOOOO much easier to get in/out, you're just stepping over a short 18" or so barrier or whatever the height might end up being (I'd measure bar top to seat level on the spa and whatever that is would be how far I'd let it protrude from the deck, whether its 15" 18" ...).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Letran

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »
I would absolutely recommend keeping the spa above the deck level but the cover lifter would be my second reason for doing so. My main reason would be the ease of getting in/out of the spa vs having it even with the deck. When the spa sits even to the deck level you'll be crawling in/out of it which sux. When you raise it above the deck level so that the seat and deck are on the same plain its SOOOOOO much easier to get in/out, you're just stepping over a short 18" or so barrier or whatever the height might end up being (I'd measure bar top to seat level on the spa and whatever that is would be how far I'd let it protrude from the deck, whether its 15" 18" ...).

Yeah, This is most likely what is going to be ending up happening. The only good reason for me to avoid this is because it will add another step down from first level of the deck to the lower tub deck. Anything more that two steps requires a railings, that I'm trying to avoid.

In every sense of practicality seems to point in this decision. My wife is aware of the ease of getting in and out but preferring to install a single grab handle to help in getting in to the tub. What are the member's experience with that? She argues that since we have a 75 year old aunt that (might use it once or twice a year) that we will still need to put one in regardless if we flush or elevate the tub.

Any thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:10:23 pm by Letran »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:49 pm »
A grab rail would be a good addition to having the spa about 15" above the deck. Personally I would never have a spa at deck lever regardless of how old I was, how fit I was, whether it required a extra step and railing... I know from experience how much I hate climbing in/out when its deck level so there its simple for me.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:56 pm »
Don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that a deck level spa is THE most difficult to get out of (and even MORE difficult to get into).. First you have to get onto the deck, then basically get up off the ground. Personally, I like just stepping over the side, standing the entire time, and just stepping in and out.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:23:46 am »
My tub's lip is about 23 inches above the deck. This gives a great height to be able to sit on the lip and swing your legs into the tub. The tub sits on its own deck underneath the regular deck. Cover lifer - no problem, as I have the type that attaches to the tub (cover mate 3 ?).  I was given the advice Doc gave when I was shopping and I am so glad I listened.

The only other advice I will give you is with the tub sunken make sure you can access any pump for future service and make sure the screws are removed anywhere you will not be able to access them (below the deck line); you don't want to be stuck not able to take a panel off.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »
Removable deck panels the last 2' to the tub. The trick is making them light enough for easy removal yet sturdy enough to feel solid and be safe. The photo shows 2 removable panels, I was younger they were a bit heavy. The other 2 sides were open, no deck. Tub sat on a 4x4 and treated 3/4 plywood base to get the perfect height. Railings added even more shelf sitting places. It's pretty easy to make a slot for the bottom of the equipment panel and only put screws/fasteners on the top. Specially if you'll never see the bottom. Good DIY project. Be sure to maintain the integrity of the panel seal. Or improve on it.

There are advantages and dis-advantages to "building in" a hot tub. Building in looks, well built in. And that can be a good look. Having the deck high allows for a nice table for "stuff" for everyone and some others sitting outside the tub. It can work well. And it's actually easier to make equip. access with the deck all the way up.

But a railing will be required. They make nice single pool rails that will swing out of the way for the cover. Mine was removable. It was mounted to one of those removable panels talked about earlier. Taking the rail off made it lighter. I actually used the rail to get the big panel up then remove it and slide the panel out of the way. There was a 6" cantilever on the panel from the joist but you could get in there and work good around the joist with the panel removed. There was actually room underneath from the garage side. So easy stuff didn't require deck panel removal.

Half way down is the most comfortable for entry and exit, or first tub step height. Gives a nice comfortable place to grab (edge of the tub) easy step over and in, sit on the edge and pivot, ease down.

But removable sections will be required or spa removal for repair. Access has to be maintained. And comfortable access is better. You don't want to be crabby when your cramped in trying to facilitate a repair. Imagine doing that to a guy who could charge ya 150 or 300 based on his ease of access.

Large steps are nice also from a slab level. To me it seems like your view is better when everything is lower than the tub lip. Depending on tub location.

What ever you decide make sure to consider views and privacy. My last tub was in my garage and it had great privacy and a lousy view.

Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:06 pm »
Retired

Letran

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:18:11 pm »
Great pics. thanks for sharing. I might have more questions later.

Where is the GFCI breaker?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:44:37 am by Letran »

CCC

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 04:06:29 am »
That looks awesome! I wish I had that kind of ambition.  I can imagine the privacy/view thing can be a conundrum. I'm weighing that out now myself.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:13:12 am »
That was my third tub. About 10 years ago.
Retired

Letran

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:21 pm »
In reference to noise and vibration

Not that feel any sort of vibration but with powerful motors inside the tub i'm sure there is something there.

When you build the deck around the tub is it advisable to leave a bit of gap i'm guessing not only for vibration but also for expansion and contraction in the winter and summer times. is there a prescribed width?

Noise pollution is not something i took in consideration. It is winter now and with all our windows closed unless all pumps are running i don't really hear it. Although I also need to consider my neighbor ten feet away two stories up. Specially I'm a night owl I find myself soaking till 1 am in the morning at times.

Having the most if not all of the tub covered sunken in the deck hopefully will muffle the noise further and not amplify it.

My tub is on a concrete pad independent and two feet away from my back wall. i run the filter cycle 7am in the morning for two hours and again 7pm for two hours.

Any neighbor issues encountered by anyone?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
Here's my take on noise. Yes, the pumps make noise but so do the jets, add air and your tub is rumbling. You can hear the tub even with the windows closed, if at 1 AM you decide to go in and a neighbor has their window open - they are going to really hear it. I hear neighbor's AC units kicking on and off when I'm outside and that has to be at least 50 feet. The only way not to hear the tub is if you soak without the jets running; at what point noise pollution become excessive - it all depends on the neighbors. I had a dog that would go outside at 6 AM and announce the she was there. My next door neighbor talked to me about it ... another person had their dog outside barking and nothing was said - it isn't fair but the world isn't fair!

Letran

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
Don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that a deck level spa is THE most difficult to get out of (and even MORE difficult to get into).. First you have to get onto the deck, then basically get up off the ground. Personally, I like just stepping over the side, standing the entire time, and just stepping in and out.

I hear ya, but it looks like I'm going to lose that battle with the wife she wants it flushed.

TMan22 - Where do I get those single hand rail you have on your tub. I'm also going to need those lifters that is attached to the deck. I think I saw one from Cover Mate.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42