What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning solution for filters  (Read 9581 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Cleaning solution for filters
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
One note. TURN OFF any heating aspect of your dishwasher. Water over 140 degrees F will damage the filter
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »

Letran

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 10:15:02 pm »
One note. TURN OFF any heating aspect of your dishwasher. Water over 140 degrees F will damage the filter

Good to Note, i would not have done that. I would have handed it to wife and that would be it

Gibson00

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:27:09 am »
I recently was due to replace my first filters (disposable) for my Arctic Spa.  Went to the dealer, and they had both the pleated re-usable filters, and the disposable silver filters.
Given the solution you have to buy (or running them in dishwasher), the time to do that every month, not knowing if washing them is causing the material to clog more, etc etc....I just decided to stick with the $25 disposables.  They will cost a little extra in the long run, but completely hassle free and apparently filter even better than the pleated type.

.02  :)

summerside9000

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:22:52 pm »
I have tried the cleaning solution, and rinse and let air dry seems to work pretty good. Tried taking them to the car wash and using the pressure washer and that also seems to work well, but a pain to take to the car wash.
Tried the cascade in the dishwasher and rotate and it works ok but don't let them go through the dry cycle or it might distort the filter housing.

I bought one of those green hose attachments with the forks that fit into the grooves of the filters and blast the water at it. Filter comb I think it is called. (40$) rip off but it works well.
It takes about 5-10 minutes to really rinse them out well.

So I alternate between TSP,filter cleaner and cascade once in awhile. Soak the filters over night and rinse thoroughly. Let Air dry completely before reinstallation.

Have two or three sets to rotate so there are always a clean set laying around. Buy new ones every two years or when there is a sale or somebody is going out of business.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »
Yea I would say more than a year on 2 sets. I just hosed them off from the inside with high pressure, had a little nozzle I used, worked good. I made the one I had out of 3/8 copper tubing flattened on the end and turned 90 deg. Made a nice flat spread out pressure. Adjustable by flattening more or prying open some. Soaked them in TSP after a few months. Made it for 1.5-2 years or better depending on how dirty YOU get them....LOL Carefully massage the pleats while your spraying them off. Super chlorinate when you change filters. Not sure why this is important but some old timer said so (spiders, ants, bugs?)

Google filter sprayer/cleaner I know they sell these?
Retired

Letran

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:49 am »
Yea I would say more than a year on 2 sets. I just hosed them off from the inside with high pressure, had a little nozzle I used, worked good. I made the one I had out of 3/8 copper tubing flattened on the end and turned 90 deg. Made a nice flat spread out pressure. Adjustable by flattening more or prying open some. Soaked them in TSP after a few months. Made it for 1.5-2 years or better depending on how dirty YOU get them....LOL Carefully massage the pleats while your spraying them off. Super chlorinate when you change filters. Not sure why this is important but some old timer said so (spiders, ants, bugs?)

Thanks Tman, good tips.

Do you also cut all power (via breaker?) before you remove the filters?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 06:15:32 am »

Thanks Tman, good tips.

Do you also cut all power (via breaker?) before you remove the filters?

No I left it run filterless during the swap out. It was only a few seconds and there was no debris in my water that might effect the pump.
Retired

Muddytyres

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:30 am »
I can't speak for others, but I put my filters on the top rack of the dishwasher (by themselves) and about every 12-15 minutes I rotate them a quarter-turn.  I do this monthly.

Does this work with most filters? I have  new Jacuzzi 245 and it seems like the dishwasher won't be enough since its a big cylinder?

Do  you rinse them again after the dishwasher?
Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42