What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning solution for filters  (Read 9540 times)

Jostudly

Cleaning solution for filters
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:04:49 am »
My dealer says I should deep clean my filters once a month and rinse in water weekly. I have used Mineraluxe and found it does not clean much better than water. I would like to know if this is necessary since I swap filters each week and also if there is a homemade solution I can make rather then buying it?

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning solution for filters
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:04:49 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Cleaning solution for filters
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »
Cascade dish washing detergent works good. Stick them in your dishwasher.
Retired

joelmaners

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:14:37 pm »
I spray mine with a little degreaser and rinse them off.

skizit

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:18 am »
Cascade dish washing detergent works good. Stick them in your dishwasher.

Any more details on how to do the dishwasher cleaning? Like how to position the filters, what cycle should be used, etc.

Chief Kyle

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:01:58 pm »
I can't speak for others, but I put my filters on the top rack of the dishwasher (by themselves) and about every 12-15 minutes I rotate them a quarter-turn.  I do this monthly.

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:10:55 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:39:01 pm »
I use to put mine in the dishwasher, but my Sundance filter is too big.  I find a high pressure jet attachment to my hose is enough to clean the filter for re-use.  I try to use the cleaning solutions twice a year.    The brands I have tried leave a residue behind that you really have to rinse the filters heavily after use or you will foam up your tub.   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

skizit

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:51 am »
I can't speak for others, but I put my filters on the top rack of the dishwasher (by themselves) and about every 12-15 minutes I rotate them a quarter-turn.  I do this monthly.

I bought some new filters a few weeks ago and then tried washing the 2 old ones on the top rack of the DW rotating them every 10 min or so. We used cascade. They now appear much whiter than before though I did do some extra rinsing under the faucet after the DW rinse cycle ended. I'll post the results when I try them in the HT.

n.one.one

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
For many years I cleaned my two spa filters the old fashioned way, I'd spin it with one hand while holding a hose in my other hand. It worked, but I never liked doing it.

I got a new spa recently and decided to try the Blaster 1000 Automatic Filter Cleaner 20" to see if it would make things easier for the new spa's five filters. I just got it and it seems to work even better than I expected. Fortunately I have excellent water pressure and short filters which is probably an optimum situation to use this equipment. Only time will tell if it really cleans the filters as they age and get dirty.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
I've used the Filter Blaster for YEARS and would NEVER consider anything else. It just doesn't get any easier. ONly thing I might suggest is to not keep it outside stored under a deck ;-). Mine is a bit rusty...but it's probably about 8 - 10 years old.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Sam

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 02:53:09 pm »
Can't imagine putting nasty hot tub filters in the machine that cleans my dishes.  Ewww.  It's not hard to rinse with hose and soak in a bucket.   weird......

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:10:12 pm »
Can't imagine putting nasty hot tub filters in the machine that cleans my dishes.  Ewww.  It's not hard to rinse with hose and soak in a bucket.   weird......

I never though of that ick!!! With proper sanitation everything in your filter should be dead? Protein?
Retired

Letran

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:20 pm »
After wash and re-washing filters, what signs do you look for to say its time to throw it away and get new ones?

silverbullet

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »
Dishwasher Eh! never thought of that! Gonna have to give it a try! Still being somewhat of a newbie here, The dealer had me convinced that i should buy his expensive cleaners & soak them overnight.

Dishwasher sounds to good to pass up!

Letran

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »
After wash and re-washing filters, what signs do you look for to say its time to throw it away and get new ones?

Just re-read my notes from the dealer. He recommends swapping & dishwashing every month and replacing the filters every year.

I'm thinking since I have two sets of filters, and if i'm going to be swapping them one month on, one month off then each filter would have only been used 6 month each over the year. Or can you just go by how the filter looks and replace them when it starts to look worn maybe. What do you guys do?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42