What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water temperature  (Read 9967 times)

n.one.one

Re: Water temperature
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:11:27 am »
I would assume that everyone is different in terms of both sensitivity to heat and also simply what they prefer.
I have always enjoyed 103/104 for about a 20 minute soak.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:11:27 am »

Quickbeam

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:17 am »
After reading this post , last night i tried to go to 100, it felt like i was in a sauna, it was almost difficult to breath. Definitely not for me, i want to be confutable and not be sweating in water. The best temp for me is between 96 and 98.

I understand that we all have different bodies, and different sensitivities, etc. It just sounds a little strange to me that you would get that kind of reaction to water at 100 degrees. Have you checked what the set temperature on your tub is reading to what the actual temperature in the tub is (by using a good thermometer)? It's just a suggestion, as I know at one time the set temperature on our tub was reading differently than what the water temperature actually was.

sore muscles

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
My tub stays at 104 for a 20-30 min. soak/massage. Really helps relax my body much better and faster.

jbequer

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »
I did check the temp when I got it, it was dead on about 7 months ago. I've been in other tubs that have been 100 or more and started to sweat in there, not comfortable at all for me. My wife is the same, after 98 she gets red and flushed, doesn't like it. Like I said , at 97 or 98 it's perfect for us.
We've had friends over they feel pretty comfortable at these temps too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:26:17 pm by jbequer »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »
We don't like our tub too crazy hot, so we've had it set at 100 since we got it at the beginning of October and it generally varies between 99 and 100.

I noticed last night that it felt too cool, it was very cold outside, so I considered bumping it up a bit.

Do most people run the same temp year-round or do you find that you like it a bit warmer when the air temperature is colder?

(We're also considering running it at 80 in the summer to use it like a pool.)

Where do you call home?  I can see people in Texas leaving their tubs at 100 all year long.  If you live far enough north to be familar with the term WINDCHILL FACTOR  then be aware 100 isn't going to keep you warm long when the outside air is 20F with a bit of a wind.     Our normal summer temp is 102 (its rarely about 80F at night and we go into an airconditioned house afterwards.       

Part of it is also how long you want to spend in your tub.   If my muscles are really achy for some reason I want 104 to relax.  In the summer when its warm you can't stay in a 104 tub very long.    When its 0F I can comfortably stay in a 104 tub 30 minutes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

amy2421

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »
Where do you call home?  I can see people in Texas leaving their tubs at 100 all year long.  If you live far enough north to be familar with the term WINDCHILL FACTOR  then be aware 100 isn't going to keep you warm long when the outside air is 20F with a bit of a wind.     Our normal summer temp is 102 (its rarely about 80F at night and we go into an airconditioned house afterwards.       

Part of it is also how long you want to spend in your tub.   If my muscles are really achy for some reason I want 104 to relax.  In the summer when its warm you can't stay in a 104 tub very long.    When its 0F I can comfortably stay in a 104 tub 30 minutes.

We're in Canada, specifically near Toronto, Ontario. Sadly we are VERY familiar with windchill! :) LOL!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »
I did check the temp when I got it, it was dead on about 7 months ago. I've been in other tubs that have been 100 or more and started to sweat in there, not comfortable at all for me. My wife is the same, after 98 she gets red and flushed, doesn't like it. Like I said , at 97 or 98 it's perfect for us.

It can be worth checking again.  My Sundance is 3 years old now. The only problem I had was with the temp sensor.  If you turn  your tub down to 98 or 99 it should feel pretty nuetral when you put your hand in.     When I did this it felt still hot. The service guy said it was 105 and replaced the sensor.     BTW, this happened right after the neighbor kids poured some white liquid into my tub, but Sundance honored the warranty.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:07:09 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jbequer

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 04:28:16 pm »
Yeah, 98 feels like a warm tub, not hot. It's felt the same since I got it.

mrpenguin

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:29 pm »
We're in South Florida.   The dealer questioned and warned we would not get any therapeutic help having our tub under 100.  We usually keep it at 96.  When "winter" comes and the outside temperature drops below 50, we might bump it as high as 98/99, but that is it.  Like a few others, it is just too hot.   We enjoy just sitting in there relaxing, even with the jets off.  It is just too hot if we have it over 100 - we'd hardly use it.  Only a few times have we bumped it up because we were really sore and wanted to see.   It is just too hot for us.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 01:24:33 am »
Relaxation IS therapeutic!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 05:55:38 am »
Always 104 in winter. Maybe 102 in the summer. Live in Mass.

Compatico

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »
I did check the temp when I got it, it was dead on about 7 months ago. I've been in other tubs that have been 100 or more and started to sweat in there,
That's what I want in my hot tub - the heat. We keep it at 104 in the winter and 102 in the summer. We sweat in the tub which is exactly what helps to get rid of toxins. Saunas are hot for a reason, so is our tub.  :)
not comfortable at all for me. My wife is the same, after 98 she gets red and flushed, doesn't like it. Like I said , at 97 or 98 it's perfect for us.
Everyone is different...at first my wife didn't like anything over 100 saying it was too hot and her showers are not as hot as mine. But after a while she got used to the 104 in winter and now prefers it. It's more relaxing to get out and feel warm and cozy after a soak.

YMMV.

TLWR

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:55 pm »
we keep ours at 97 and often sit in it until the timer kicks off at an hour. 98 is too warm to be enjoyable for us.

Compatico

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 02:47:23 am »
we keep ours at 97 and often sit in it until the timer kicks off at an hour. 98 is too warm to be enjoyable for us.
Everyone is different...and tolerances vary from person to person. I know this from health and safety programs.
Having said that, I like the heat for therapeutic value. My wife didn't like it at first, but has become accustomed to the fact that to get therapeutic benefit, you need the heat to be above normal body temp - it's like the natural immune system raising the body temp to fight a virus. She's a nurse so she knows the value of therapy from heat. But she just didn't like sweating that much in a tub thinking it was "dirty". And to be honest it is kinda dirty, but that's what a tub is intended to do...sweat out toxins and let the heat relax the muscles. Hence the need for sanitizers to keep the water clean.

The Romans knew the value of hot water...and a few thousand years before that water heated with fired rocks was used to relax...it's not new.
Heat is good...lots of heat is gooder.  ;D
My point is simple...the high level of heat is therapeutic and near 98' or body temp, is not hot enough to be beneficial. It's more comfortable, but it's not therapeutic.

Typically our soaks are 2-3 cycles of 20 mins (timer limit) at 102-104' with a brief cool down in between so we don't overheat ourselves. We bring out bottles of water to sip as we know we're going to sweat a lot. After a long day at work and having to come home to more work, a 20 mins soak at 102-104' before bed is awesome and very relaxing.

bud16415

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:19 am »
We live on the great lakes in Pa and summers hit 100f a few times per season and winters reach -30f. We have been in the tub at -20 and you need it 103 at least with a winter hat on to make up for the heat loss in your head. When the temp outside is around freezing 101 is fine and in the summer 98,99 is fine 100,101 if you want a sweat :P.

Our Caldara has a summer setting that keeps the heat off all day so you can use it like a pool and the heat kicks on at evening for a night soak. That is a very nice feature.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42