What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Tub Help $6,000 Budget (Michigan)  (Read 6372 times)

myersbuck

First Tub Help $6,000 Budget (Michigan)
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:39:06 am »
Hello- Looking to get my first hot tub with my tax return. I have a pretty strict budget of $6,000 and I would like a one that holds 6 people.  I have been to MANY hot tub stores and they all have their own story as to what is best (I have not wet tested anything but have seen them running and felt jet pressure). I am just pretty lost right now. I did an over haul to my backyard with a new patio and all electric with GFI box is ready to go for the tub. Used tubs (few years old) on Craigslist are tempting but I hear that a used hot tub can be a BIG mess. I know this is a somewhat of opinion topic but any help is appreciated. I do live in Traverse City Michigan (northern lower MI).

Also...is there negotiation in the hot tub world? If so...how much play room do dealers typically have?

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:06:56 am by myersbuck »

Hot Tub Forum

First Tub Help $6,000 Budget (Michigan)
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:39:06 am »

Robrob

Re: First Tub Help $6,000 Budget (Michigan)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:19:08 pm »
The place I bought my tub in chicagoland had a real nice looking bullfrog that was right at 6 out the door on sale. so you could probably find something good new in that budget.

My gut says a big chain in a big city might have a bit more leeway- by all accounts it sounds like a i got a real good deal on my j-365 for 7400- and that was without any sort of haggling or negotiating.

uvmskier

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »
I paid $6k for my Nordic Encore SE 8 weeks ago in Massachusetts.  I believe they're manufactured in Michigan.  There are of course other costs such as the concrete pad and the electrical work.

jbequer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:37:11 pm »
I got my Hot Spring Hot Spot for $5700, sits 7. Great , very comfortable spa.. Lots of extras .

Sorrentino100

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:41:28 pm »
I suggest you look at a Bullfrog R6. That is their offering that closest meeets your requirements. It has three jetpaks as standard with that tub, three seats with built-in jets, a cool down seat and a pair of footjets.

There are a few good reasons to buy a Bullfrog. The jetpaks come in sixteen different varieties. I have experience with a HotSprings Envoy and I can say that there is no comparison with the Bullfrog jetpaks. The Envoy has a lounge seat with the dual MotoMassage. It's the least used seat in the tub.

With your seating requirements, you'll  need to stay away from a spa with a lounger. There is a common tale of people buying their first hot tub with a lounger; the second time 'round, they buy without. I agree with that. It seems like a good idea that you lay down and relax in the lounger. The reality is that it usually takes up a whole side of space in the tub. So, where you could have two or three seats, you have one lounger. Also, any seat can be operated close to a lounger, in that, when you're in a hot tub you are naturally buoyant and can float by angling away from the seat.

Bullfrog has an optional WellSpring filtration pump which uses a much lower energy draw pump to circulate water for filtration. It's a couple to few hundred dollar option. Also, there is the WellSpring high-output Ozone generator. This helps break down the body soaps and oils. Chlorine alone cannot do this. A couple of hundred dollar option.

Both HotSprings and Bullfrogs are extremely well insulated. In Michigan, that can help keep the electric bill reasonable.

I believe Bullfrog is having a $500 rebate on their spas beginning around Thanksgiving until the end of the year.

You should definitely wet test the unit. They can change jetpaks in under a minute, so you can test all the different ones available. To get a good taste right from the get-go, I'd have them put in the Gyrossage, Pulsator and Oscillator. Then, after you've had time with them, swap them and try the NeckBlaster and Rainshower--which is many times utilized to relax in after you've done hydrotherapy with the others.

The most important thing for you to do is to go look at the Bullfrogs, find one you like and can afford--even if it means stretching the budget and then make a no obligation appointment to wet test it. And then spend time playing with the setting on each jetpak and foot jet. The jetpaks have a dial on the lower part of the jetpak and that is how you adjust the jet power. Make sure the jet pumps are on the high speed. I think you will be impressed with how effective the jetpaks are. Don't expect every hot tub to feel this way. There is a world of difference with the Bullfrog jetpaks. You can buy additional jetpaks-- but they can be pricey (~$500 or so.). When you wet test have the dealer give you a catalog which shows the different jetpaks and then write notes after testing each one. Otherwise you may forget which is which. You get only three standard in the R6; you want to make a careful selection.

Buying new in the R-series will also give you a good warranty. Repairs on hot tubs can be expensive. There's much less internal plumbing in the Bullfrog spas which reduces chances of leaks. Repairing an out-of-warranty leak in a fully foamed spa can exceed $2000; and with good reason: it is difficult to locate leaks and it's a lot of labor and involvement.

Do yourself a favor and go check out the Bullfrogs and wet test, taking notes about the jetpak performances. You may also want to look into purchasing a Capo deluxe spa pillow; it's arguably the best one out there. It can make the spa more functional and enjoyable for the shorter members of your family and friends.

You will be impressed with the jetpak performance. All spas heat water, have jets and filtration. It's just that the Bullfrog jets are better, in my opinion, by a wide, wide margin. They are one of the most energy efficient, too.

That's my carefully thought out advice and I hope you take it into consideration and post back on your buying experience.

Good luck!

Fireman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:46:09 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what the dealers are making per unit but I can say that I negotiated and purchased a Jacuzzi j-245 for $5900 which was listed on sale for  $7500.  My budget was no more than $6000 so with tax I came pretty close to what I budgeted. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 07:38:00 pm »
I suggest you look at a Bullfrog R6. That is their offering that closest meeets your requirements. It has three jetpaks as standard with that tub, three seats with built-in jets, a cool down seat and a pair of footjets.

There are a few good reasons to buy a Bullfrog. The jetpaks come in sixteen different varieties. I have experience with a HotSprings Envoy and I can say that there is no comparison with the Bullfrog jetpaks. The Envoy has a lounge seat with the dual MotoMassage. It's the least used seat in the tub.

With your seating requirements, you'll  need to stay away from a spa with a lounger. There is a common tale of people buying their first hot tub with a lounger; the second time 'round, they buy without. I agree with that. It seems like a good idea that you lay down and relax in the lounger. The reality is that it usually takes up a whole side of space in the tub. So, where you could have two or three seats, you have one lounger. Also, any seat can be operated close to a lounger, in that, when you're in a hot tub you are naturally buoyant and can float by angling away from the seat.

Bullfrog has an optional WellSpring filtration pump which uses a much lower energy draw pump to circulate water for filtration. It's a couple to few hundred dollar option. Also, there is the WellSpring high-output Ozone generator. This helps break down the body soaps and oils. Chlorine alone cannot do this. A couple of hundred dollar option.

Both HotSprings and Bullfrogs are extremely well insulated. In Michigan, that can help keep the electric bill reasonable.

I believe Bullfrog is having a $500 rebate on their spas beginning around Thanksgiving until the end of the year.

You should definitely wet test the unit. They can change jetpaks in under a minute, so you can test all the different ones available. To get a good taste right from the get-go, I'd have them put in the Gyrossage, Pulsator and Oscillator. Then, after you've had time with them, swap them and try the NeckBlaster and Rainshower--which is many times utilized to relax in after you've done hydrotherapy with the others.

The most important thing for you to do is to go look at the Bullfrogs, find one you like and can afford--even if it means stretching the budget and then make a no obligation appointment to wet test it. And then spend time playing with the setting on each jetpak and foot jet. The jetpaks have a dial on the lower part of the jetpak and that is how you adjust the jet power. Make sure the jet pumps are on the high speed. I think you will be impressed with how effective the jetpaks are. Don't expect every hot tub to feel this way. There is a world of difference with the Bullfrog jetpaks. You can buy additional jetpaks-- but they can be pricey (~$500 or so.). When you wet test have the dealer give you a catalog which shows the different jetpaks and then write notes after testing each one. Otherwise you may forget which is which. You get only three standard in the R6; you want to make a careful selection.

Buying new in the R-series will also give you a good warranty. Repairs on hot tubs can be expensive. There's much less internal plumbing in the Bullfrog spas which reduces chances of leaks. Repairing an out-of-warranty leak in a fully foamed spa can exceed $2000; and with good reason: it is difficult to locate leaks and it's a lot of labor and involvement.

Do yourself a favor and go check out the Bullfrogs and wet test, taking notes about the jetpak performances. You may also want to look into purchasing a Capo deluxe spa pillow; it's arguably the best one out there. It can make the spa more functional and enjoyable for the shorter members of your family and friends.

You will be impressed with the jetpak performance. All spas heat water, have jets and filtration. It's just that the Bullfrog jets are better, in my opinion, by a wide, wide margin. They are one of the most energy efficient, too.

That's my carefully thought out advice and I hope you take it into consideration and post back on your buying experience.

Good luck!

What a bunch of BS....

The MOST important thing you can do is test the tubs your looking at.
Retired

Sorrentino100

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
Here is a very good review of the Bullfrog R7L: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/reviews/bullfrog-r7l/771-0-1.html

Hope this helps your purchase decision.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:13 am »
Here is a very good review of the Bullfrog R7L: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/reviews/bullfrog-r7l/771-0-1.html

Hope this helps your purchase decision.

The beginning of this tells us how HE LIKES the jets and tub (meaningless for anyone else) But the end is very true about Hot Tubs in general.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42