What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Essentials chemicals  (Read 3917 times)

Spatime

Spa Essentials chemicals
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »
First off I've only had my spa for 4 months and this forum has been incredibly helpful.

I've been using Spa Essentials line for my spa as reccomended by my dealer.  I have a few questions that i'm hoping you guys may be able to help with.  Google searches havent been all that helpful. 

I'm using the Brominating Concentrate which according to the label is 52.7 % Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione and 14.7 % Sodium Bromide.  Im told to treat it like a bromine spa but it seem like thats alot if Diclor, is that normal percentages for a bromine spa?

The spa shock I'm using comes in a six pack of single use packs but is kinda expensive $20 for six and I shock weekly and after any party I have (which is common).  I'm trying to find a different option and have been pointed in two directions, Quick Clear http://www.discounterspoolandspa.com/Spa-Essentials-Quick-Clear-Shock-1kg-P2591.aspx and Spa Shock http://www.spa-essentials.com/mp/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b50ddf3ef1678110VgnVCM10000053d7010aRCRD&vgnextchannel=b50ddf3ef1678110VgnVCM10000053d7010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

The bags of Spa shock http://www.discounterspoolandspa.com/Spa-Essentials-Spa-Shock-6-Pack-6x48g-P2570.aspx work really well and I've tried the Quick Clear that works ok except for after a heavy bather load dosent seem to work as well (water a little cloudy).  The container of Spa Shock isnt carried by my dealer and I would have to order it but I havent yet cause the single packages say oxizider in orange and the container doesnt.

Just wondering if anyone has used this line and had the same problems.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Essentials chemicals
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »

chem geek

Re: Spa Essentials chemicals
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:43:57 am »
The Dichlor will oxidize any bromide in the spa as well as the bromide added in the product to bromine.  If you initially added any sodium bromide during startup, then you'll have bromide in the spa already.  If not, then the initial uses of the brominating concentrate will produce a mixture of bromine and chlorine but over time the bromine will get used up and build up a bromide bank.  So any oxidizer added, including chlorine, will create bromine.

Spa Essentials Spa Shock according to this MSDS is basically non-chlorine shock (MPS) but with some additional trade secret ingredient.  Spa Essentials Oxidizer Quick Clear is similar in that it is non-chlorine shock (MPS) but I can't find an MSDS so don't know if it has anything else in it.

In general, chlorine does a better job keeping the water clear than non-chlorine shock, but that wouldn't explain why Spa Shock works better for you since it doesn't list any chlorine in it (and the Trade Secret can't be chlorine).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:06:04 pm by chem geek »

Spatime

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:32:01 am »
Thanks for that,the brominating concentrate makes sense now.  When you're referring to the Spa shock are you talking about the full container, or the individual single packs(or are they the same)?  The packs are what i've been using but I would like to order the container cause I think it would be way cheaper.  $20 a month for shock alone is kinda expensive aside from other chemicals. 

FWIW my sales rep said the Quick clear was the same as the shock packs except for an added ingredient to make the water feel nicer.  So that makes sense sort of.

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »
There weren't separate MSDS forms so it's probably the same, just packaged differently.

If you want to save money then there's really no reason for you to use a specific brand such as Spa Essentials.  You don't even have to use non-chlorine shock since that is an expensive oxidizer.  You could just add sodium bromide after a water change and then use chlorine as an oxidizer to create more bromine.  For background dosing if you don't have an ozonator (since ozone will create more bromine from the bromide) you can use bromine tabs in a floating dispenser (the kind made for spas that has a closed top).  If you want to save even more money, then you can use bleach as the chlorine oxidizer instead of Dichlor.

Spatime

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:40 pm »
Thanks for the help Chemgeek.  i have a water change coming up and may do the floater option as Im in central Canada and I dont want to go out daily to add chem in -40.  I have an ozone only running a few hours a day as no circ pump.  To go that route it would be the add sodium bromide during the new fill then the the Diclor everytime i get out as i've read alot of ppl do? Or just use the chlorine as a shock weekly to create more bromine.?

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »
How can you have ozone running without a circulation pump?  If you meant that the ozone is only running a few hours a day when the circulation pump is running, then with your added sodium bromide the ozone should produce bromine and if it produces enough on its own then you won't need a floater.  If it doesn't, then you can use a floater with bromine tabs as well.

Yes, you would add an oxidizer after each soak to handle the bather load and that can be Dichlor, bleach, or non-chlorine shock (MPS).  You should not need to shock weekly if you add an oxidizer to make enough bromine after each soak.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42