What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 110v Plug & Play Models  (Read 11200 times)

lysistrata3000

110v Plug & Play Models
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »
I'm relatively new to hot tub ownership, as I have an (antique) Jacuzzi acquired last year that now has to be retired.  It leaks and considering its age, I'm not sure it's worth the expense for repairs. 

As far as replacements are concerned, I'm on a tighter budget than many of the posts I've seen here ($3000-$4000 preferred), and I'm not going to fall into the trap of going in with that budget and walking out with a $10,000 tub

So my list:

1) $3000-$4000 out the door (I already have supplies and a nice set of steps purchased last year). My plan was to put down $1500 and finance the rest. While I have enough to pay cash outright in that price range, I'd like to take advantage of the 18 months same as cash deals that pop up in my area rather frequently.
2) 110v Plug & Play is mandatory.  I have a licensed electrician in the family who has agreed to install dedicated service for free as long as I purchase the wiring and other items. The available outdoor 110 outlet is not dedicated, and we've had some issues with that.  I don't want to go to the expense of going the 220v route.
3) Seats at least 3. My partner is 6'5" and 250 pounds, so he displaces a LOT of water.  I'm 5'2" so we need something that can adequately serve despite our height discrepancy. 
4) I have fibromyalgia so I anticipate daily use, probably 30 minutes to an hour a day.  It would have plenty of time for reheating every day.
5) At this time, I'm not sure if I'd be using it heavily in the winter. I live in Kentucky, and some winters are pretty mild.  The last one was NOT.  While my aches and pains tell me I'd use it year-round, I'm not sure I could find a plug & play model that could withstand active use when we have weather like that.  There's a possibility we just won't want the hassle of dealing with it in the winter so we'd just winterize it.  Thoughts?

I've already checked out the majority of our local dealers.  One is primarily a Hot Springs dealer, and they carry the Fantasy spas line from HS.  I'm not coming up with much in the way of reviews for the Fantasy line though.  The Cascina model in the Freeflow brand looks very similar, if not identical, to the Drift model in the Fantasy line.  The Hot Springs dealer is about 20 minutes from my house, whereas the nearest Freeflow dealer is about 90 minutes away.  The FF dealer is not accredited with the BBB and their online reviews via several sites are not very flattering (mostly warranty squabbles). The Hot Springs dealer is BBB accredited and most of the online complaints have been about the pools they sell, not the hot tubs. 

If I'm reading correctly, Freeflow and Fantasy are both Hot Springs lines.  If so, what's the difference?

I've still got several dealers to check out (they carry Nordic and Bahama brands that have plug & play models). I have absolutely no clue what the price range is on those.  There's also a Maax dealer in the area, but again I haven't been out to look at their selection yet either. Same goes for the Sundance dealer.

After perusing the boards, I understand the importance of wet testing. Like most folks, I have a feeling I'd get the side eye from my local dealers for that. They only seem to fill the $10,000 & up models, not the p&p).  After using hot tubs on various vacations, I know I'm not super picky.  Even the ones with 10 jets were fine for me.  Since I'm short, I can always be underwater. My partner? Not so much, but he's not the one that hurts.  :P   He sat in the Drift model dry and was fine with it.

Up to this point, we've both agreed we like the Drift.  The current offer is just under $3000 out the door (delivery, cover, steps I don't need, supplies) and they're offering 18 mos SAC.  I'm leaning more toward waiting until Spring though. The electrical service will be installed this fall before the ground freezes, but since I'm not sure we'd use a new spa in the winter, I would rather just sit back and accumulate some more cash in my savings account, then see what's available come Spring.

I think that about does it. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions based off the above?  Opinions on p&p spas in general?  Fantasy/Freeflow in specific?  Are there other brands that offers a p&p in this price range?  Any help would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

110v Plug & Play Models
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »

Racenut

Re: 110v Plug & Play Models
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:04:05 pm »
If you're going to install a new dedicated circuit anyway, why not 220V?  The hard part is the labor and you have that covered...  the cost difference between the wire and breaker shouldn't be that bad and would open up a lot more options in tubs.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:49 pm »

Check out Nordic.  They have some plug n play and they also have some that you could wire 110 and then later on convert to 240 if you would like.  They will have some choices in that price range

lehacf

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:25:25 pm »
Since it does not appear that your partner is really crazy about or needs a tub, have you considered indoor models that would fit regular tub footprint. Total installation costs might be comparable but it would probably lasts longer since it won't need to be exposed to elements, plus you'll have year around use of it.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:34 pm »
dealers don't fill the Plug & Play's because the jet pressure is sub par, its not a "slam" against Plug and Play's just simply the truth so if good jet pressure is on your list of needs then you may need to explore a higher end used spa

lysistrata3000

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:49:36 pm »
My partner doesn't really NEED a hot tub, but he certainly wants one.  As it is, I have a pretty tiny house so fitting an indoor model would be problematic. 

When the family member comes down to take a look at my set-up, I'll ask him to quote me the supply cost for 110 vs 220.  I really like some of the plug & play's features such as portability, one-piece construction (more or less), and lighter weight.  While I don't anticipate moving the hot tub frequently, having the option to do so without hiring a 4 man crew would be preferred.

I don't feel comfortable going the used tub route.  Even the most careful moving companies can bork a move, and I don't want a tub arriving with new cracks (which is what happened with the antique hot tub last year).   From most of the research I've done, going with used usually winds up turning into a money pit.

Still wanting to know if anyone has knowledge of Fantasy/Freeflow. 

Is there any problem with having the wiring installed before purchasing?  Location is already predetermined. 

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »
I am on my second 110 volt plug and play tub and have had no problems with either one. We had a Hot Springs Prodigy for 22 years outside in New England and it served us fine and we now have a 1 year old Jacuzzi J325 and it's also fine. My one caution about a cheaper tub is operating costs, pay me now or pay me later. You might be better off looking at a used tub from a dealer in your price range but most tubs made by Hot Springs should be fine I think.

Good Luck.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 05:28:42 pm »
If they have Garden Spas by Artesian in your area, check em out.  Your budget is severely limiting.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 05:30:37 pm »
My partner doesn't really NEED a hot tub, but he certainly wants one.  As it is, I have a pretty tiny house so fitting an indoor model would be problematic. 

When the family member comes down to take a look at my set-up, I'll ask him to quote me the supply cost for 110 vs 220.  I really like some of the plug & play's features such as portability, one-piece construction (more or less), and lighter weight.  While I don't anticipate moving the hot tub frequently, having the option to do so without hiring a 4 man crew would be preferred.

I don't feel comfortable going the used tub route.  Even the most careful moving companies can bork a move, and I don't want a tub arriving with new cracks (which is what happened with the antique hot tub last year).   From most of the research I've done, going with used usually winds up turning into a money pit.

Still wanting to know if anyone has knowledge of Fantasy/Freeflow. 

Is there any problem with having the wiring installed before purchasing?  Location is already predetermined.

yes, I sold Freeflow for 2+ years....small basic roto-mold spa with a 1 year warranty with very light jet pressure, if its outdoors in a cold weather area it will run ALL the time on 110 volt, no base on them so they are basically a "mouse hotel" in the winter months as well.  I'd save up a few more bucks, if you can go from 3-4k to 6k you can get a MUCH better hot tub

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 05:30:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42