What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why will they not wet test  (Read 11512 times)

Mbains

Why will they not wet test
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:38 am »
There are only 3 dealers in my town. Jacuzzi is the only one that will let you wet test. Sundance and Hot Spring say No, insurance liabilities. Would you buy one you couldn't wet test?

Hot Tub Forum

Why will they not wet test
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:38 am »

Quickbeam

Re: Why will they not wet test
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 02:52:29 am »
I wouldn't. You're investing a lot of money and to me at least, I wouldn't be giving out that money if I wasn't sure what I was getting. And the only real way to know what you're getting is to get in the tub and feel the jets, the height of the different seats, if it has a lounger are you going to float out of it, etc., etc.

Having said all that, I think that most of the dealers on this site will tell you that most of their customers don't wet test before they buy. Really don't understand that, but I've heard different dealers on the site say that is their experience.

To me, a good analogy might be buying a car.  Would you buy one without the chance to go for a test drive? Again, I wouldn't. And the reason I wouldn't is that it is a lot of money for a purchase I would plan on having for some time. I want to know everything I can about that purchase. Same thing with a hot tub.

amy2421

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:05:26 am »
I agree with QuickBeam. Before we decided on our tub, we were fairly sure about which hot tub we wanted. I'd studied the brochure and decided on the model that looked the best.  We sat in that model dry and it felt really cramped, so we wet-tested the next model up (extra $2000) and discovered that the massage seats weren't nearly as good as they were described in the brochure. I am really glad that we didn't buy the tub and then discover those issues when it was sitting in our backyard.

We ruled out several tubs because there was no one in our area willing to fill them for a wet-test, and we ended up buying our Jacuzzi at the location that had the model we wanted to wet-test, even though there was a closer location (they are all part of the same company here, so they probably didn't care where I bought it.)

av8r

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:19 am »
Buy at a dealer out of town.  Vote with your dollars.  Simple.

orlando1

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:32:57 am »
Like I said in your other thread, no way would I invest that kind of money without knowing if you would love it or not. My experience is similar to others who wet tested first. I had my mind set on a particular tub. I first sat in it dry and found it way to cramped for me and my wife. So then I found one bigger that fit me fine dry. But once wet tested, I found I wasn't really that happy with the jets. I ended up wet testing several until I found the one that both my wife and I truly loved. When making this kind of purchase, don't settle. I wouldn't even settle on a tub I merely liked. I would have to love it. The only way to know that is by wet testing.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:39 am »
I would say the reason has nothing to do with insurance.  I would bet the sole reason is that virtually nobody wet tests for various reasons.  For some they don't feel comfortable doing it and others are content sitting in the tub empty.  This whole year I've had 3 people wet test spas and one of them came from someone on this forum.  I agree with you that it's best to wet test and I always offer but you should see the looks I get when I offer it

av8r

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:10:20 am »
I would say the reason has nothing to do with insurance.  I would bet the sole reason is that virtually nobody wet tests for various reasons.  For some they don't feel comfortable doing it and others are content sitting in the tub empty.  This whole year I've had 3 people wet test spas and one of them came from someone on this forum.  I agree with you that it's best to wet test and I always offer but you should see the looks I get when I offer it

I had a tough time convincing my wife to wet test with me.  I had to tell her we were not buying a tub unless she did so...that got things moving.

orlando1

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:49:30 am »
Lol, I had to do the same thing with my wife. Her attitude was "get whatever you like". But I kept drilling in her head that I could love a certain tub that would not fit her, and she might not enjoy the jets as much as I. I kept telling her, there was a tub out there we both would love and the only way to know is to wet test. Now that we enjoy our tub daily, she couldn't imagine going with another tub. My dealer also was impressed with the fact I wanted to wet test, and said he had done all of three wet tests in the last few years. That really blows my mind, it's not like you can return it if you don't like it.

av8r

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:54:39 am »
Lol, I had to do the same thing with my wife. Her attitude was "get whatever you like". But I kept drilling in her head that I could love a certain tub that would not fit her, and she might not enjoy the jets as much as I. I kept telling her, there was a tub out there we both would love and the only way to know is to wet test. Now that we enjoy our tub daily, she couldn't imagine going with another tub. My dealer also was impressed with the fact I wanted to wet test, and said he had done all of three wet tests in the last few years. That really blows my mind, it's not like you can return it if you don't like it.

I also laughed when certain dealers told me they wouldn't fill a tub for us to test as once they did, the tub had to be sold as used.

Really?

They just glazed over when I asked them how they managed to sell new tubs that were filled and run at the factory before being delivered to their showroom.

::)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:01 am »
There are only 3 dealers in my town. Jacuzzi is the only one that will let you wet test. Sundance and Hot Spring say No, insurance liabilities. Would you buy one you couldn't wet test?

IMO, just having been around here 10 years and visiting many dealers, if they say no because of insurance liabilities, I suspect they don't have the right insurance, or that is an outright lie they have been told to give.  Even where I work you get the "here is the answer you give"  line.

Sure you can buy and be happy without a wet test, but it sure helps ensure you pick the right model.  If I was in your shoes, I would probably let the other two know I was going to wet test and it will play a big part in my decision. Now if I had been in another persons Hot Springs Vanguard and knew I liked it I could get away without wet testing, but I would guess a large number of buyers are buing their first tub. This should be more important than it is to some dealers, but hey its an expense, if the competitors don't need to do it to make money they may not have to either.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Racenut

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 01:31:18 pm »
Let's combine this thread with the "sex in a hot tub" thread and see what happens! ;D

Mbains

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
Thank you everyone. I am going to insist on wet test

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »

Just be straight, no wet test = no need to discuss anything further.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

amy2421

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »

I think this is smart. Based on user feedback on here, it seems that a lot of people who do wet-test before buying find that the tub they thought was their "dream tub" turns out not to be based on some deficiency that was only uncovered by sitting in it with water in and jets on.

If I hadn't started reading this forum a few months before we purchased, I would not have known the importance of a wet-test and would likely have a very mediocre new LaZBoy Spa right about now!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:33:45 pm by amy2421 »

orlando1

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 04:28:06 pm »
Lol, we have one of those in my area. That was one of my first stops. The guy lost me at 2 year warranty. Plus, they weren't all that cheaper either.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 04:28:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42