What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis tri valves are hard to rotate  (Read 7071 times)

sore muscles

Marquis tri valves are hard to rotate
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »
Just joined the site to get information on hot tubs. Been in many hot tubs over the years but never owned one. I'm am looking to buy a new spa that has high therapy set up. I have restless leg syndrome and lower back issues and very stiff upper shoulders.
Been very interested in the marquis reward/wish/resort 7x7. Just wet tested the resort and the euphoria and the tri zone valves are very hard to turn. Are all marquis valves this stiff? and is there any way to loosen them up so I don't need a wrench to turn them..lol ...calcium build up? design flaw? or normal ...help!

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis tri valves are hard to rotate
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »

sore muscles

Re: Marquis tri valves are hard to rotate
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:25:37 pm »
Marquis....American made, employee owned, been in biz for thirty years +. Therapeutic massage! The valve control ie: the tri zone knob seems to be hard to rotate, any one else having this issue? would like a commit from owners of marquis tubs. Looking at the resort and now there flag ship "epic." any help would be welcomed.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:51 am »
When you have 160gpm flowing through that valve, it gets a little stiff.  It's reccomened to adjust the valve before the pump is set to high speed or when the pump is off, but you can adjust it with high speed on the jets running if you need to. One other thing to note is that the 3 way tri-zone valve is significantly quieter than most 2 way diverter valves on the market.  If you pull that valve out of the housing it's about 10" long (which dampens the noise of the water), most hot tubs have a valve that is about 4" long.

sore muscles

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:06:53 am »
Thanks for the reply Marquis, but there wasn't a 160 gallon flowing on the half dozen empty floor Marquis models I dry tested. I found only one valve knob on an empty tub that turned easily. I said to myself, that's how they all should turn.
  I also know and understand there would be some pressure on the valve with that amount of water going through the valve on speed 2, but these where all dry tubs. I'm not sure if other makes and models are set up similar because I was only looking and wet tested the Marquis brand. I did wet test an artesian though and I don't remember the valve knob being so stiff. I think i'll go wet test other brands for comparison. I really do like Marquis line of hot tubs, they got a great product and have put in a lot of thought into there designs

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:41:01 pm »
Because of the size of the valve they may be a little harder to turn than a normal diverter valve, but having sold them for 11 years, I can't really think of anyone complaining about them before.  A lot of times the valves loosen up a bit when they are filled with water, sometimes they don't turn as easily when they are dry.  Some of the Marquis models will use more of the industry standard shorter 2-way diverter, and those will turn slightly easier. If the handle says Z3 on it, it's the 3-way tri-zone valve, if it says Z2, that is the shorter 2-way valve.

sore muscles

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:38 am »
Is there anyway to loosen the valves up? or take them out and finely sand the valve? or put some lubricant on the valve body. An elderly person with arthritis in her hands, would have a very hard time turning the tri valve.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »
I wouldn't recommend sanding the valve or the housing it sits in to.

I would suggest The Wish model.  The Wish has 2 valves, and one of them is a 2 way valve.  The 2 way valve will be easier to turn.  The 3 way valve you could leave on the main setting that you like, if it's hard for you to turn.

The hot water will be the best thing you can do for your arthritis.

Also, the Marquis 435, 545, 660, and 750 models will all use a 2-way valve that may be easier for you to use.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:17:56 pm »
I have removed all valves on my Marquis Epic and cleaned them (looking for grit but didn't find any). As I replace them I used some silicone grease to lube the valves.  This was recommended by the Marquis service/parts department.  The valves operate much smoother and with less effort.  Will repeat in the future when valves stiffen up.

sore muscles

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »
Those tri/diverter valves are huge, compared to other brands. You combine that with high water flow rate and you get a knob that is stiff or harder to turn. Add some grit or calcium build up and you'll need a wrench to turn them. It's in there design and I can't change that. Frankly I'd rather not deal with that for 10+ years. Don't get me wrong, I still like the marquis brand and would have bought one, if it weren't for that issue.
  I bought the Artesian Antigua elite instead, easily adjustable water flow control knobs at each seat.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42