What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Newbie here...  (Read 8880 times)

Ohio45424

Spa Newbie here...
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:16:16 pm »
I will start out by saying I’m rather new spas, only owning one for a couple weeks now. However through this sites search and the help of my local spa company, I feel that I’m on the right track. There is one question that seems to be asked a lot here and I’m going to ask it again, what spa cover should I go with? My local company wants to sell me a cover made by a company called The Cover Company Inc. When I ask them about details and specs of the cover, they can not give me any answers, other than it’s a “good” cover. I see there are two well known cover vendors on this site, both having a good reputation.  As much as I like to buy local, I think I would be better off buying from one of these vendors. I have a couple of basic questions that I would like to get some advice on.
1.   Should a cover have any over hang? If my spa measures 84” X 84”, should I order a cover with some wiggle room?  Example 85” X 85”.
2.   I see a lot of talk on foam density and I’ve read a lot about it. I live in Ohio and we do get snow. Will 1 lbs density be strong enough for weather conditions or should I upgrade to 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs?  If I keep the snow brushed off, does it really matter?
3.   One of the questions I asked my local company is, whats the R value of there cover. They could not give me the answer. I know with house insulation, more is better.  I would think the same goes for covers as well.  What R value should I have here in Ohio?
Thanks for taking the time to read my newbie questions. I appreciate any advise and answers.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Newbie here...
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:16:16 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Spa Newbie here...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:59:28 pm »
Snow in Ohio?  Not in the 38 years I've lived here!   Just kidding. What part of Ohio?   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ohio45424

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:43 pm »
Some years there no snow and others, way to much. I'm in SW Ohio here, how about you?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:39:05 am »
Some years there no snow and others, way to much. I'm in SW Ohio here, how about you?

Columbus.  Plenty of rain this summer. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ohio45424

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:49:51 pm »
Can anyone comment on my first post? Just looking for some general info. Thanks

Sam

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »
I like to add 1/2" to the spa dimensions for a replacement cover.

1# foam is not sufficient.  Get 1.5# minimum, but 2# is better.

I wouldn't worry about R value because the sales guy can tell you any number and you wouldn't know the difference.  The most common OEM cover is a 4" to 2" taper with 1.5# foam.  In Ohio, there is certainly a benefit to going thicker and/or heavier density.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:12:43 pm »
1# foam can  be quite sufficient, if the cover is tapered 6" to 4" (In fact, a 6x4, 1# cover is stronger and more insulating than a 4x2, 1.5# foam.)

For reference, the R value of just foam is as follows (per 1" of thickness[the rest of the cover materials add about R-2]), and keep in mind, what's sold as a 4" thick cover is rarely 4" thick, or at least the foam isn't;

1.0#    - 3.85
1.25# - 4.0
1.5#    - 4.17
2.0    4.35

Different sellers and manufacturers may tell you different R values for the same thickness of foam, as there are different ways of testing to come up with the stated R value, BUT, 1" of foam is 1" of foam, and has the SAME R value, regardless of brand or manufacturer....however, some covers use "nominal" density foam (which can be up to 20% lighter weight than what's claimed), while others use nominal thickness specs (e.g. a 2x4 board is NOT 2" by 4").

1# density foam is what most manufacturers supply with their spas...and they tend to have a rather short life.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

HotTubLover57

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »
I live in the mountains in central Oregon and we experience several feet of snow per year.

I purchased a 5">3" cover with a 1.5 lb. core that has an R value of 20. My out-the-door price was about $425 after I added a few options (extra handles and longer straps). I've had the cover for three years now and it has held up extremely well and far better than the hot springs cover I owned previously.

I bought this cover from Spadepot.com, where I purchase all of my spa supplies. If I recall correctly it did take about 2 weeks to arrive, but it was worth the wait. I think they also have free delivery.

~Maria

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 12:30:02 am »
Do we have a new spammer?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Ohio45424

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:17 pm »
Thank you to all that have replied. I've been doing alot of reading online and feel that I have enough information and knowledge now to place an order.

Sam

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:18:01 pm »
I live in the mountains in central Oregon and we experience several feet of snow per year.

I purchased a 5">3" cover with a 1.5 lb. core that has an R value of 20. My out-the-door price was about $425 after I added a few options (extra handles and longer straps). I've had the cover for three years now and it has held up extremely well and far better than the hot springs cover I owned previously.

I bought this cover from Spadepot.com, where I purchase all of my spa supplies. If I recall correctly it did take about 2 weeks to arrive, but it was worth the wait. I think they also have free delivery.

~Maria

Based upon your post history, you are most definitely an employee of spa depot trying to spam this board for advertising purposes.  Very lame....

HotTubLover57

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »

~Maria

Based upon your post history, you are most definitely an employee of spa depot trying to spam this board for advertising purposes.  Very lame....

Hi Sam,

I'm not a spammer, just a very enthusiastic hot tubber!

Your posts favor several brands/companies. We all have our preferences :)

~Maria

Sam

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »

~Maria

Hi Sam,

~Maria

You just happen to know all kinds of technical things about hot tubs, but you bought a Beliz?  Sorry dude, not buying it.  You are a an employee masquerading as a customer to advertise your company.  I am very open and honest about my affiliations. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »

~Maria

Hi Sam,

~Maria

You just happen to know all kinds of technical things about hot tubs, but you bought a Beliz?  Sorry dude, not buying it.  You are a an employee masquerading as a customer to advertise your company.  I am very open and honest about my affiliations.

It was pretty obvious when looking at past posts, well done Sam.

Whatever you post can be seen by others if they know where to check so think twice before hitting enter and walking away.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »
To have that kind of technical knowledge, but buy a Beliz is the dead giveaway.  I guarantee that if you polled all of the industry people on this board, not a single one of them would ever consider putting a Beliz in their yard, lol.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42