What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stainless steel vs plastic housing low-flow heater for Sundance 2001 850 series  (Read 4052 times)

Nessuno

I have a 2001 Sundance Cameo 850 series. I've had to replace my heater (Sundance 6500-310)(Therm Products C3314-1) 3 times due to leaks in the plastic housing. Here's what it looks like.

http://www.spaandpoolsource.com/Sundance-Smart-Heater-6500-310.aspx?gclid=CMusypj_t8YCFQmKaQoda0wO1Q

Because of this, I was looking at a stainless steel type alternative. (Therm Products THP2550-3314).

http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/therm-products-spa-heater-5-5kw-240v-lo-flo-13-x-3-vertical-with-box-e2550-3314

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on which of these two heaters would have better longevity in the midwest with harsh winter climate?

Hot Tub Forum

Nessuno

I don't check my PH religously, but I do keep an eye on it every few weeks. I wonder if my water is too acidic and that causes my plastic housing to erode prematurely.

Anyone have any ideas on what is better between the plastic housing "smart heater" with titanium element and the stainless steel? I would think stainless steel would be more durable but might be prone to rusting.

Nessuno

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
The (stock) plastic heater usually lasts for 10 years or more. But if your experiencing premature failure with the plastic unit try the SS one and see if it last's longer. They are cheap enough. Honestly I don't think either will outlast the other.
Retired

Nessuno

I'm going to try the stainless steel one. It seems it was made to specifically replace the plastic housing model. Both are made by Therm Products. We'll see what happens. On sellers that carry both models, the Plastic is more expensive than the SS. I thought that said something, but it may be because the plastic is original manufacturer equipment.

Nessuno

Follow up: It's December 2020 and the stainless steel heater is still operating effectively. I have recently started getting an "OH" error occasionally which may be the result of how the old sensor attaches to the new type heater. FYI

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42