What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replaced Icon 15 with new VS500Z not working correctly.  (Read 2650 times)

Lanster!

Replaced Icon 15 with new VS500Z not working correctly.
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
First the problem, The new balboa Model #54368HC3 is causing the pump to surge. I can hear it switching on and off about every three seconds. Two speed pump, no circulator pump. It is not low on water and it appears all the air has been purged. Second the settings; 1/ Switched to 220 volts, No jumper wire between J11 and J32. Dip switch A10 in off position. A1 through A9 also in off position. Light plugged into J20. Ozone plugged into J29, pump plugged into J23, control panel plugged into J1. Neutral, L1 and L2 wired correctly. When it comes out of the priming mode, the pump comes on but will not run at a constant RMP on either pump speed. Temp is also displayed. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!

Hot Tub Forum

Replaced Icon 15 with new VS500Z not working correctly.
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:50:39 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Replaced Icon 15 with new VS500Z not working correctly.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:20:01 pm »
Possibly you have incorrect voltage going to the pump. What voltage is the pump rated for, AND what voltage is it getting (you should test with a volt meter, rather than trusting any settings specified).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Lanster!

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »
Pump is rated for 220 Volts, and worked fine, until the other controller died. Since I replaced Balboa with Balboa, the plugs on the pump are the same, so I just plugged it in without installing the new pump wire, However, the wire colors match up, on both plugs. As far as testing voltage, that is how I killed the old controller, (testing voltage on heater and apparently shorted something out) so I hate to try that. If it comes to that, I guess I will have to pay for a service call. If I can find someone to work on a controller they didn`t sell.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:27 pm »
It sounds like you may only be getting 110v to the pump...plug configuration and wire color is irrelevant.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Lanster!

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:24:59 pm »
If I can`t go by wire color, how do I know which wire goes where? The new Balboa controller came with no installation instructions. It does have a schematic on the cover, but it only shows where to plug things in. It does not show how to wire the pump, therefore I felt the wire color should be the same. I will pull out the pump, and use the new wire that came with the controller. I will say, it does sound like the pump isn`t getting the voltage it needs, when it is running / surging. Again thanks for the input, I`ll let you know what I learn.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
The wire you have is probably fine. The controller itself though, may not be properly set to supply 220v to the pump, and is supplying 110v.

Lanster!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 03:36:46 pm »
You are correct, the wire was exactly the same as the old one. I installed the new one while the pump was out. Still doesn't work! I am starting to think I damaged the pump, when I shorted out the old controller. Is that a high possibility or a remote possibility? I hate to buy a pump just to try out that theory! I just can`t see any mistake in the way it is wired.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:15:39 pm »
TEST THE VOLTAGE GOING TO THE PUMP.

Lanster!

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:55:06 pm »
I ordered a new pump. It will be delivered next week. I`ll let you know if that was the problem.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:55:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42