What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on a used 2004 Sundance Optima?  (Read 6107 times)

linksteve

Thoughts on a used 2004 Sundance Optima?
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:50 am »
Good morning. 

I have been reading your posts religiously for a month or so as I explore tubs. All very helpful.

I am in the process of researching our first tub.  We live in Maine and are in our 50's, active (hockey, hiking, skiing, etc.) and ache all the time! Ha!  My budget is around 5K (but would prefer lower...and can go a little higher for the right deal). I have been researching, wet testing, etc.  We have a huge Hot Springs dealer and a small Jacuzzi dealer 10 min away. I want a comfortable tub it 4-5 active seats. The Jetsetter was too small.  Other HS tubs have your feet all tangled up. Not cool.  I like strong jets...lower back...foot.  I can take or leave a lounger.  Lights are nice, but stereo, smell generator, water falls are a waste. I liked the Hot Spot Relay and Tempo (new 6700/5700) for the price point, but some feedback is that they have less foam and will cost a lot to run in a cold Maine winter.  I found a 2004 Sundance Optima. Been inside its entire life. Older retired couple used it lightly...now not at all.  $4,000 (plus $500 to move it). Seems like a good deal. Am going to wet test one at nearby Sundance dealer, but I suspect I will like it.  Thoughts? Things to consider? Thank you in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on a used 2004 Sundance Optima?
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:50 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Thoughts on a used 2004 Sundance Optima?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:36 am »
Good morning. 

I have been reading your posts religiously for a month or so as I explore tubs. All very helpful.

I am in the process of researching our first tub.  We live in Maine and are in our 50's, active (hockey, hiking, skiing, etc.) and ache all the time! Ha!  My budget is around 5K (but would prefer lower...and can go a little higher for the right deal). I have been researching, wet testing, etc.  We have a huge Hot Springs dealer and a small Jacuzzi dealer 10 min away. I want a comfortable tub it 4-5 active seats. The Jetsetter was too small.  Other HS tubs have your feet all tangled up. Not cool.  I like strong jets...lower back...foot.  I can take or leave a lounger.  Lights are nice, but stereo, smell generator, water falls are a waste. I liked the Hot Spot Relay and Tempo (new 6700/5700) for the price point, but some feedback is that they have less foam and will cost a lot to run in a cold Maine winter.  I found a 2004 Sundance Optima. Been inside its entire life. Older retired couple used it lightly...now not at all.  $4,000 (plus $500 to move it). Seems like a good deal. Am going to wet test one at nearby Sundance dealer, but I suspect I will like it.  Thoughts? Things to consider? Thank you in advance.

That 2004 Optima may be a good spa if its well cared for as you indicate but $4500 for an 11 year old spa is very high even in good condition IMO. Then again that's just what they're asking and once they realize no one is knocking down the door for it at that price then maybe you can negotiate a reasonable price if you end up liking it. Of course with all used spas I would not even consider it unless I could see it filled with water and heated.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

linksteve

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:51:16 am »
Thanks SpaTech.  So, in your opinion the 4K is too high?  It looks to be in pristine condition. Unfortunately, there are few quality used tubs on the market here right now...and this fellow is in no rush to unload it.  What do you think it's really worth?

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:44 pm »

Condition is everything on used spas but overall that's a lot for an 11 year old spa.

As far as the Relay and Tempo go, they don't actually use foam in the first place but instead they are filled with something called Fibercor insulation that works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0H8K8dfns&feature=youtu.be

linksteve

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:17:25 pm »
Cool video. Cool material. Thanks for sharing. So, if the "in water" experience is the same...would you choose a new Relay at 5700 or 10 yr old Optima at 4000?  Side note: the local Sundance dealer sells refurbished 10 yr old Optimas for 5000. Ugh.

Thanks for all the help

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:05 pm »
Cool video. Cool material. Thanks for sharing. So, if the "in water" experience is the same...would you choose a new Relay at 5700 or 10 yr old Optima at 4000?  Side note: the local Sundance dealer sells refurbished 10 yr old Optimas for 5000. Ugh.

Thanks for all the help

New all day everyday. Even if that tub is in great shape your going to start needing to replace parts in any 10 year old tub sooner rather then later.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »
I would never pay that much for that tub. And in your case a couple three grand more for brand new????
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »

Thanks for all the help

New all day everyday. Even if that tub is in great shape your going to start needing to replace parts in any 10 year old tub sooner rather then later.

Ditto.

If the decision was maybe between a $1500 used spa that is operating well vs $6000 for a new spa then that's a different story because you might not mind taking a chance on how many years and how much work the used one might need over the next few years if the price is substantially better but in this case its a TKO in the first round IMO with the winner being the new spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

linksteve

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:09:53 pm »
Thanks for the feed back  I started another thread covering the ongoing saga. But to be clear, the above scenario isn't like comparing a 10 yr old Maserati to a new Chevy Tahoe?

silverbullet

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:57:59 pm »
We bought a new left over 2014 Hot Spot Relay & love it. We bought a used 7 year old Great Lakes & had it 9 months before we upgraded.
The difference in the Jet power is like night & day compared to the used one.

For what your going to spend on a used one your better off with the Hotspot. Its a very nice tub that comes with a nice warranty. And if you can find a new previous year's model, You may get a better price. My electric bill went down with the new one also. We live in Wisconsin.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 10:31:26 pm »

Lets be clear. NO ONES electric bill goes down when they add a hot tub.
Retired

silverbullet

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:17 pm »

Lets be clear. NO ONES electric bill goes down when they add a hot tub.

I can agree with that statement. So let me rephrase, My Electric bill has gone down since I pulled the 8 year old Great Lakes & replaced it with a new 2014 Hot Spot model.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42