What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: WiFi as a standard option  (Read 3891 times)

Sean.Mcgrath

WiFi as a standard option
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:08 am »
Ok, a bit of an esoteric "must-have," but I live in the Netherlands and the hot tub will be in our cottage in northern Michigan and be (yes, I know) left on all winter.

We had an old hot tub from when we bought the cottage, but it went terminal last winter after the pump stopped (power might have gone out) and was not detected for quite some time, freezing all sorts of things...

Now we're getting a new one, and I would like to be alerted on my phone when there are any problems.  8)

I have seen that the Arctic has an option for WiFi and a phone app. Are there other suggestions for quality brands that offer this feature? I'd rather not go with an aftermarket approach.

thanks,
Sean

Hot Tub Forum

WiFi as a standard option
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:08 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: WiFi as a standard option
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:26:48 pm »
Marquis has a wifi with a phone app as well.  It's a option that is either installed at the factory or can be done by the dealer

Sean.Mcgrath

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »
Great, thanks hottubguy. I'll check them out.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:03:59 pm »
Any major manufacturer should offer this feature

Sean.Mcgrath

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:05:05 pm »
Hi Sam,

As far as I can tell, Jacuzzi only offers it on their J-5 series tubs. Also, they charge a service charge to use the app  ::)  That one took me by surprise: do most manufacturers charge you a fee to use the monitor functions over the internet?

Sean

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:00 pm »
Hi Sam,

As far as I can tell, Jacuzzi only offers it on their J-5 series tubs. Also, they charge a service charge to use the app  ::)  That one took me by surprise: do most manufacturers charge you a fee to use the monitor functions over the internet?

Sean

Marquis comes with 1 year free then it's a pay service after. I think it's about a $100 per year. With Marquis it's not marquis charging for it its balboa who owns the patent. It's for the cloud service

Sean.Mcgrath

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:09:21 pm »
Thanks again.

Hmm, everyone is trying to make money from internet services these days. Maybe I'll kludge together my own after all...

dchris1

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »
Bullfrog Spas also uses the Balboa Water Group controller / phone app. Its $24/year after the first year according to this FAQ on their website: http://www.balboawatergroup.com/bwa-faq. I hear its a bit finicky and you need to reset the controller occasionally. (I have one on order)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:50:48 pm »
Marquis uses balboa water group as well so the fee is probably the same

Water Boy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »
It is not standard on Arctic, but you can add it for a small cost. They don't charge any annual fees to monitor it. The only extra cost would be on the upfront purchased off adding the wifi to the spa.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42