What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: GFCI distance  (Read 4758 times)

Bigralphy

GFCI distance
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »
Hi folks,

New tub coming in a couple weeks but I have a question. In my area code states the gfci must be 3 meters from the tub.  How far from the tub can the gfci be to not have false tripping?  I have read that if the distance is too far it can cause false tripping but what is considered too far?

Any help is appreciated and if some owners could mention how far their gfci panels are from the turn that would help as well

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

GFCI distance
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: GFCI distance
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:53 pm »
 I don't think it matters how far it is away for false tripping.  It matters what the code is on what's the farthest it can be away.   In the states I believe it's not greater than 25 ft away and (insight of the spa kinda grey area)  So where you are it might be different need to confirm what your code is.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »
Isn't it no more than 25 and within sight. But no closer than 5-6'. You shouldn't be able to reach it from the tub.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:18 pm »
Isn't it no more than 25 and within sight. But no closer than 5-6'. You shouldn't be able to reach it from the tub.

Yes, but 25' within sight can be determined by the inspector.  In other words if he is a -ick or not.   ;)  I have had some say it's fine and I have seen some say no way.  Really depends on how it's ran.

Bigralphy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:59:12 pm »
CEC states minimum 3 meters from spa but it does not need to be in sight and there is no maximum distance.  At least from what I can read in section 68 of the code

Thanks for the input guys

mai95

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:39:31 pm »
Not sure about GFCI, but my breaker box had to be located at least 5 feet away from the spa. And any fan above the spa had to be at least 12 feet away (even outdoor fans). For Lights it had to be at least 7 feet above the waterline.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:14 pm »
The first 2 w's in www stand for "world wide". Bigralphy is NOT in the United States and therefore is not governed by US building codes, or laws.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42