What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Zeroing in on a HS Sovereign or Bullfrog A6L  (Read 5132 times)

Tumblebug

Zeroing in on a HS Sovereign or Bullfrog A6L
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »
As a soon to be new spa owner I would like to express my appreciation for this site and all the helpful folks who share what they know to help those of us trying to learn.

I have been shopping for a 4-5 person spa, which will probably be used most often by 2. I have visited most of the area (North Texas) spa dealers and have read the literature for most of the major brands for sale in this area.  I tend to agree that the dealership is at least as important as the spa manufacturer and I have been particularly impressed with the dealers and the spas of Hot Springs and Bullfrog. The salesmen have been helpful, informative and courteous, which may be why I am narrowing my decision, at present, between these two spas.

In a perfect world I would be able to wet test, etc, but the Bullfrog model A6L isn't available to be seen here, although I did look at the larger Bullfrog models, both A and R series.  The HS Sovereign is available to look at and dry test.

It seems the consensus on this forum is that both are probably good choices.  The Bullfrog dealer is pricing the A6L at a significantly better price ($8,600 + tax) including cover lift, etc.  The HS dealer is at $10.9K + tax with the "platinum package", which seems to make it pretty much an apples to apples comparison with the A6L.

When discussing circulation pumps with the Bullfrog dealer he said he could have one installed if I wanted one and he would probably have one if it were for him. He would absorb the cost.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Zeroing in on a HS Sovereign or Bullfrog A6L
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »

Quickbeam

Re: Zeroing in on a HS Sovereign or Bullfrog A6L
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »
You're absolutely correct that finding a good dealer is important. But so is a wet test. I had a tub all picked out that had a lounger. On the wet test we discovered that both my wife and I floated out of the lounger. Without that wet test, we probably would have ended up with a tub we weren't happy with.

At the very least, try and wet test a similar model. As an example, you mentioned the particular model of Bullfrog you wanted is not available to wet test. Can you test another model with the jet packs you are interested in? I'd also be asking why the Hot Spring dealer won't let you wet test the Sovereign if there is already one on the showroom floor? That does not make any sense to me.

Being a good dealer means many things. Salesmen that are "helpful, informative and courteous" is a great starting place, but I just don't see any reason that a wet test can't be accommodated for the kind of money you're laying out.

Sam

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:03:22 pm »
That's a good price on the A6L.  Can't comment on HS pricing as it's been awhile.  Both are great manufacturers. 

Good luck!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:26:36 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I will only add, it looks like you have good choices. I hope you will let us know how it works out for you.  Personally I've only seen the Bullfrog online, haven't had a chance to look at one in person.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dporter22

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »
I recently purchased a Bullfrog A7 and did not add a circulation pump based on my dealer's recommendation.   He said a circulation pump reduces filtration by the main pumps and causes premature wear of the ozonator.

I asked other Bullfrog owners on a different post about their experiences either with or without but never got a response.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »
I recently purchased a Bullfrog A7 and did not add a circulation pump based on my dealer's recommendation.   He said a circulation pump reduces filtration by the main pumps and causes premature wear of the ozonator.

I asked other Bullfrog owners on a different post about their experiences either with or without but never got a response.

You will be fine either way but the premature wear of the ozonator is funny to me. Yes it would in theory wear out sooner because it will be on and cleaning the water more but that's like someone saying if you brush your teeth 3x a day instead of 1x you'll wear out your toothbrush sooner!

Besides the benefit of the ozonator being on more it also is quieter and allos for the main pumps to be off more and since the cir c pump should be more economical to run there is a small benefit there too.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42