What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tell me about portable water softener  (Read 5284 times)

Coleman

Tell me about portable water softener
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:08:52 am »
While going thru the forum learning about hot tubs and water care I came across this post about portable water softener that hot springs dealers had that you can rent or buy one for around $200 online which over a few yrs it would hardly cost anything vs chemicals for hard water. The hot springs dealer said  I have hard water in my area, I am looking to buy a tub in mid summer and trying to be more educated on the use and care of the hot tub.  Can anyone give some opinions about this option and filling a hot tub with it?
Thanks
Coleman

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,17017.msg177763.html#msg177763

Hot Tub Forum

Tell me about portable water softener
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:08:52 am »

Quickbeam

Re: Tell me about portable water softener
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
I agree with one of the posts in the link you posted. Before I did anything I would test the water I have to see how hard it actually is.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
We sell them and I also use them in our showroom here, they do work and are easy to recharge with (12-20oz depending on brand/size) of plain old salt. Like someone above noted have your water tested before/after so you know exactly what your numbers are...personally I shoot for around 100ppm calcium hardness

Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »
When i am ready i will get the water tested and go from there, I dont want to waste a dealers time till iam ready to buy hopefully by mid summer i will be ready just alot of prep work.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:29:16 pm »
Here's another idea -

HotSpring dealers (I used to be one) sell an item called "Vanishing Act." It is a one-use softener, and it comes in two sizes. Open the box, and you will find a 'pillow' which is actually a bag of softener pellets. You simply place that bag on the bottom of the Hot Tub - right over the return fitting. 24 hours later, test the water hardness and you should be good to go. If not, leave it in place a second 24 hours.

The part I'm not fond of: after one use you toss the thing. Yes, I have had customers who have soaked it in brine and used it again, but I don't know how well that worked and can't vouch for their results. Might be well worth the effort!

Vanishing Act - available at your local HotSpring dealer, part number 76029 prices range a LOT - from $32 to $50 so shop carefully.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Coleman

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:28 am »
Chas, Thanks for the input on the "vanishing act" It was your post that lead me to asking about the portable water softener. Lets run the numbers water on "vanishing act  change 4 times a year at $32= $128 per year, $128 x 10yrs= $1280 plus tax. How long does the portable water softener  last? I know you can recharge them but for how long? This Will be my first Hot tub and I want to know what the total cost of ownership per year will be!
Thanks again for your input
Coleman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:22:50 pm »
Keep in mind: the ONLY time you really want to run soft water in your tub would be if you have the "ACE" system (HotSpring). Otherwise, you can do just fine with hard tap water. If you have no ACE, but have unusually hard water - say from a local well or other out-of-the-ordinary situation, you can use the Vanishing act to just take the edge off, and you can then use it multiple times.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:22:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42