What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Vs Hot Spring  (Read 20966 times)

dishdude

Sundance Vs Hot Spring
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:44:38 am »
So in the market for a tub, and one of the big differences seems to be the filtration system. I was at a Sundance dealer and they were telling me the Clear Ray UV light system is the best - only use a cap full of chlorine a week, no worrying about pH levels, etc. They also warned me the ozone system in the Hot Spring will deteriorate the pillows and cover, and poison me!  ::)

Any input on maintenance for hot tubs and which system is better? From what I have read I would avoid ACE if I go Hot Spring.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Vs Hot Spring
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:44:38 am »

hottubhannah

Re: Sundance Vs Hot Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
From reading what you have written, I have to say you can't let the sales person try to manipulate you. There is no way in a million years ozone would poison you-that's crazy. 1.) the uv light system is like sanitizing water with UV Rays. Remember this is a light. That will burn out. 2.) Ozone is an extra added on to HotSprings that give you just one more source of sanitation- it is NOT a stand alone system by itself. The best chemical systems (besides ACE-which is actually a great system if used and maintained properly) use a small amount of chlorine. If you don't want to go with ACE, use Silk Balance which is low chlorine based system that keeps your water balanced for longer and conditions your water. Your skin actually feels like silk using this. It's amazing. And also, it requires only one capful of enhanced shock (chlorine/shock mixture) a week. ANY low chlorine system will NOT deteriorate your pillows, etc. These questions you had were all about chemical systems, not filtration. So to go onto filtration-HotSprings Highlife collection is the ONLY tub on the market that has TRUE 100% no bypass filtration. Which means every drop of water that comes out of a jet gets filtered first (no foot water on your back jets). The Highlife collection also has multiple filters (not just one). And they also have 24 hour circulation meaning the water is continually being circulated all day. Highlife collection also has the best insulation (which is one reason why they give you an energy effeciency guarantee). But if you want the best of the best you'll have to fork a little more out of your wallet. BUT it will be worth it in the long run because these tubs last a long time and will save you money on your energy bill compared to Sundance spas.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:57:24 am »
 Ozone is not going to poison you, but it does help deteriorate pillows and cover, and it takes quite awhile.   The chlorine thought is on but depending on use and how many people using it you will probably add more.  And you WILL have to maintain or lock in your PH/ALK as well. 

Filtration wise both are good, and I wouldn't let it sway you too much.  Which models on each brand are you looking at?

Quickbeam

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:23:53 pm »
Sundance and Hot Spring are both great tubs and I’m betting you would be happy with either one. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the filtration system. They will both do the job, although I do agree with you on ACE. Just a personal opinion, but I have read too many complaints from unhappy users and if it was me, I’d stay away from it.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:42 pm »
So in the market for a tub, and one of the big differences seems to be the filtration system. I was at a Sundance dealer and they were telling me the Clear Ray UV light system is the best - only use a cap full of chlorine a week, no worrying about pH levels, etc. They also warned me the ozone system in the Hot Spring will deteriorate the pillows and cover, and poison me!  ::)

Any input on maintenance for hot tubs and which system is better? From what I have read I would avoid ACE if I go Hot Spring.
m

Welcome to the forum.   I have a Sundance tub that is more than 2 years old and I love it That said, The statement above worries me a bit. How much Chlorine used or needed can vary for a lot of reasons.  According to Sundance the bulb in the clearay last a year. I haven't changed mine yet and I haven't seen any big change.  The part about the PH seems pretty inaccurate too
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dishdude

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:52:08 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. This was the first dealer I visited, they were very high pressure and although I had done some research, I really hadn't looked into the UV or Ozone systems. It sounds like those systems might have some benefit, but maintaining the water is still going to be key to keeping it clean (which I am fine with).

I still need to visit a couple other dealers. I really liked the Sundance Hamilton, but not too thrilled about the idea of heading back to that place!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:28:23 pm by dishdude »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:40:01 pm »

horribly inaccurate statement...just terrible for a salesperson to even say something so foolish

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 02:46:38 pm »
Ignore all the silly salesmanship and talk of things like ozone and UV bulbs, they're sales points and you frankly can do without either. If the bulb goes out you probably won't even notice it stopped working. Wet test both spas and go with the best spa/dealer combo.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Quickbeam

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:53:18 pm »
Ignore all the silly salesmanship and talk of things like ozone and UV bulbs, they're sales points and you frankly can do without either. If the bulb goes out you probably won't even notice it stopped working. Wet test both spas and go with the best spa/dealer combo.

+1 - Good advice!

dishdude

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 09:23:34 pm »
The more I read, the more I think Costco might be the way to go. I'll try a couple more local dealers, but if I leave feeling all slimy like this last visit I might just do that (and save a few thousand in the process).

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 09:38:02 pm »
The more I read, the more I think Costco might be the way to go. I'll try a couple more local dealers, but if I leave feeling all slimy like this last visit I might just do that (and save a few thousand in the process).

Both sundance and hot spring are a great choice. Is one better then the other?  It's like comparing a ferrari to a Porsche. Both are great choices and much better quality, much more therapeutic and will have much better warranties then anything you will find at Costco. Good luck in your search. The other tubs that I would put in the same category as though 2 are marquis, caldera, jacuzzi dimension one and lots of people will say bullfrog. Maybe check out websites for those brands and see if you gave local dealers

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:07:17 pm »
 Hello Costco, I have a question about chemicals for my spa? Just a minute I will transfer you.    Hi Mr... what was your name again?   Yeah I work in the Pharmacy sorry I can't help you  :'(   
   Hello Costco, my spa is not heating?  Hang on a second let me get my manager.   Hi Mr.. what was your name again?   Yeah sorry we don't work on spa's, oh but your under warranty.   Well lets see, geez ya know we don't work on spas but you can return it if you like.     I know sir it does weigh a lot, but you can hire someone to move it for you for a couple of hundred dollars and we will refund you.   Well maybe if you read the fine print.  I understand, sorry not much I can do as I work in the photo lab.

Skip the Costco.   

dishdude

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:26 pm »
Hello Costco, I have a question about chemicals for my spa? Just a minute I will transfer you.    Hi Mr... what was your name again?   Yeah I work in the Pharmacy sorry I can't help you  :'(   
   Hello Costco, my spa is not heating?  Hang on a second let me get my manager.   Hi Mr.. what was your name again?   Yeah sorry we don't work on spa's, oh but your under warranty.   Well lets see, geez ya know we don't work on spas but you can return it if you like.     I know sir it does weigh a lot, but you can hire someone to move it for you for a couple of hundred dollars and we will refund you.   Well maybe if you read the fine print.  I understand, sorry not much I can do as I work in the photo lab.

Skip the Costco.   

After my experience at the local dealer, I think I'd be better off dealing with a Costco employee working in the photo lab. I'll shop around a bit more before making a decision, visiting a couple more local dealers.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:14 pm »
 Please do. Doesn't matter what brand, well it can but buy from a dealer.   you can thank me in 10 or more years. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »

Skip the Costco.   

After my experience at the local dealer, I think I'd be better off dealing with a Costco employee working in the photo lab. I'll shop around a bit more before making a decision, visiting a couple more local dealers.

Sounds like you visited one dealer. Can't paint them all with a broad brush like that. For every sh@tty dealer there are 10 good ones

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42