What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spot SX Pump Upgrade? Can it be done?  (Read 8837 times)

WeakpumpGuy

Hot Spot SX Pump Upgrade? Can it be done?
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »
I recently purchased a home that has a relatively new Hot Spot SX.  The jets just don't seem very powerful and I was wondering if anyone has changed out the Watkins Wavemaster 6000 with a stronger pump.  The 6000 is a 2 speed 1.5 HP I believe.  The Moto-Massage jet doesn't move up/down as it should, I bought and installed a new one and it still doesn't move.  Filter is brand new and intake is clean and clear.   First time using this model hot tub so maybe this is normal and as strong as the jets get?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spot SX Pump Upgrade? Can it be done?
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hot Spot SX Pump Upgrade? Can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »
Sounds like it may not be enough tub for you. Have you tried running it with the filters out? You probably can upgrade it but that's a bullet proof pump/motor. Maybe flush the lines with a flush product and see if that helps.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:49:01 pm »
I recently purchased a home that has a relatively new Hot Spot SX.  The jets just don't seem very powerful and I was wondering if anyone has changed out the Watkins Wavemaster 6000 with a stronger pump.  The 6000 is a 2 speed 1.5 HP I believe.  The Moto-Massage jet doesn't move up/down as it should, I bought and installed a new one and it still doesn't move.  Filter is brand new and intake is clean and clear.   First time using this model hot tub so maybe this is normal and as strong as the jets get?

Are you running that 110v or 220v?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

WeakpumpGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »
Yes I've run it with the filter out and there's no real noticeable improvement. I'll try the flush product and see if that works.  It's a relatively new unit, only two years old I believe but I have no idea what it's maintenance history has been.

It's 220v

Could be that it's just not enough tub, capacity wise it's fine for my wife and I. I think we were spoiled by the hot tub we had at our vacation rental a few years ago.  I think it was a thermo spa with a huge motor and a thousand jets.  Seems like most small 6x6 tubs that Ive looked at online don't have very strong motors or lots of jets. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:31 pm »
 I think the biggest you will find in the 110v range is a 2hp, doesn't matter if your running 220v it's still a 110v motor for the pump.    Might help though.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:04 pm »
If the spa is hooked up 220v, I'm sure this is a way to use a 220v pump. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:33:13 pm »

Not really.  I don't think I have ever seen a 110/220v spa that can use a 220v pump.     Tman? 

mjb

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »
We have installed larger pumps on a few different brands of spas
that were 110/220 volt convertible and were wired 220v.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:21 pm »

Not really.  I don't think I have ever seen a 110/220v spa that can use a 220v pump.     Tman?

I would think the control is designed to support a 110v pump. You could actually put a 220v pump in but it would take more than just a pump.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »

I've done it on Celebrity and Nordic Tubs

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »
 I think a lot depends on the equipment pack itself.   With Jacuzzi you can run 220 but the motor will still be 110 as that's all the system will send for power to the pump.  Some may have dp switches that change it? 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:10:00 am »
If a brand new Moto Massage assembly still doesn't go up and down, I can think of a few things to check before you start trying to modify things.

First, check to see that you have installed the Moto correctly - there must be air coming out of the Moto before it will have enough 'umph' to move. Check the air tube, look to see if a mixture of air and water comes out. If you shut off the air control ("Comfort Control") so you only have water coming out, the Moto will stop.

Be sure the line across the front of the round moving part - the 'head' - is horizontal: perfectly.

The other jets need to be working correctly as well - air/water mix, no missing parts, etc. They need to be the same as each other as well: there is a nozzle in each of the small jets ("Precision Jets") which sometimes gets removed or loosens and comes out by itself. Easy to check, run the tub and check that all the small jets work, and work equally.

The pump may have been replaced in the history of the tub - the SX uses a 1.5 HP pump, but the TX and RX models use a 1 HP pump. Check to see if the correct pump is still in there.

The pump may have something in it - I have removed an amazing array of items from pump on these things - the top of the filter standpipe is open (so you can insert a Nature2 mineral purifier cartridge) and that forms a direct path to the pump. If you are thinking about putting in a bigger pump, try pulling the existing pump first to simply check that there are no fun little items in the pump impeller.

Once you get the Moto to move, if you are still not happy with the pressure, try to find another similar tub and check to see if your tub is putting out what it was built to put out. If that is the case, you may have to live with it. I say this because I have installed 2HP motors in these things at the behest of customers, only have have the jets run exactly the same. I was able to put in larger orifices in all the small jets, but the change was not noticeable. The plumbing is what it is - Watkins never did put in oversized plumbing on anything they made. That is not a negative statement: they have pretty good engineers who match the plumbing to exactly what the pumps need. Upsizing the pump to larger than they designed it to run just doesn't move more water. Also, many of the pumps they install have custom impellers, and buying a pump on the open market doesn't guarantee the same (or greater) output than the OEM unit. If you do replace the pump, l would recommend getting a Watkins unit.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:11 am »

I do it all the time on Sundances and Nordics.

WeakpumpGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:08 am »
Chas thank you for such a detailed response.  I'll look at the moto jet to make sure it's installed correctly.  I do notice that the comfort control valve doesn't seem to do much after the halfway point, it noticeabley increases the jets through the first half of the dial but from halfway to full there is no noticable difference.  Since this is a new tub to me I have no idea what is normal and what isn't.  All of my other jets are assembled correctly.  I do have a mineral purifier cartridge and noticed the line seems to be open going to pump, last owner had kids so who knows what might be in there.  I'll try some less invasive tests before I remove and inspect the pump itself.

THanks again...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:04 am »
Maybe something as simple as a spa purge to clean the lines?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42