What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time to replace cover - OEM or aftermarket? Recommendations?  (Read 6542 times)

Scoobmaster

Time to replace cover - OEM or aftermarket? Recommendations?
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:40:55 am »
Hi all.

I have been enjoying my Beachcomber 350 for the past few years... but now that time has come that all spa owners have to deal with (so I am told).  The cover needs replacing and I am deciding between just having the dealer order one from Beachcomber, or get an aftermarket one.  I remember a forum member getting high praise here for covers his company manufactured (Dr. Spa) and intended on ordering one of his, only to find out that he has since retired from the business (drat). 

Sooo, anybody have some experienced wisdom on a good cover manufacturer, or should I just "go OEM"?

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Time to replace cover - OEM or aftermarket? Recommendations?
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:40:55 am »

Kev B

Re: Time to replace cover - OEM or aftermarket? Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:23:15 pm »
 Many great aftermarket companies out there that will give you a great cover. Make sure you get at least 1.5 pound density foam and I would also recommend a full length hinge seal. 5x3 would also be recommended. I would recommend a local company for you, not an online one as a good percentage of freight delivered covers are damaged.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:13 pm »
I'm retired, but the company is still there.

FYI, most spa manufacturers buy their covers from a cover manufacturer. A cover manufacturer that sells to MANY other companies. You can probably get the exact same cover as an aftermarket cover. Also, most manufacturers (not all), get the absolute cheapest cover that can get. e.g., an aftermarket cover is frequently a higher quality (not always)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Scoobmaster

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:02 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Doc, The company you used to be with is RH, correct?  I was specing a cover out on the website and noticed that when changing from the 4"x 2" taper to the 6" x 4" the default foam core changes from 1.5 lb density to 1" lb density.  I realize that the thicker foam increases the insulation factor much more than just increasing the density, but it is a cause for concern for strength of the cover?  How about water saturation resistance? 

My OEM Beachcomber cover measures 4" at the center and about 3" at the edges (less taper than the aftermarket).  I am concerned that 2" may not be enough insulation at the ends, so I would like to go 6" x 4", or do you think that with 1.5 lb density foam the 4" x 2" would be fine?  I live in upstate NY so it is a pretty cold climate for the winter (tub is on my deck) but I don't let snow sit on the tub for long (clean it off within 24-48 hours) and we rarely get snowfall totals of more than 20" in a single storm.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:51 am »
Actually, the 6x4 @ 1 pound is stronger than the 4x2 @ 1.5 pound. (about 15% stronger).

A 1" taper really isn't enough for proper water run off. Personally, I'd go with the 6x4 (I'm in San Francisco, and I wouldn't use a 4x2 cover)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Scoobmaster

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I checked with the dealer and an OEM Beachcomber cover is $399 (plus the exorbitant NYS sales tax).  So I can get the 6 x 4 with the full hinge and double wrapped cores for about the same (actually slightly less) delivered from RH.  Sounds like a win to me - thanks.

If I call in the order, do you think they will already have a template for a Beachcomber 350 tub?   

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 03:11:29 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I checked with the dealer and an OEM Beachcomber cover is $399 (plus the exorbitant NYS sales tax).  So I can get the 6 x 4 with the full hinge and double wrapped cores for about the same (actually slightly less) delivered from RH.  Sounds like a win to me - thanks.

If I call in the order, do you think they will already have a template for a Beachcomber 350 tub?

I did buy a cover from RH and can say the measuring instructions worked well and I got a cover that was advertised and fit really well in a quick delivery. I only kept the tub a little less than 2 years after i bought the cover so I can't give a definitive statement of quality beyond that it looked good after nearly 2 years.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hopvader

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »
The 1st 9 years my Hot Springs Grandee went thru 2 Hot Springs covers (91' x 100") which were poor design and and quality. 6 years agoI shopped the internet and purchased a aftermarket cover from Solis Spa Covers at $399 including shipping. Much improved design and quality and at 6 years old still looks good. Very exact measurements of existing spa tub are required.

MNgolfgal

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »
I just got done ordering a replacement hot tub cover from Robert's Hot Tubs (RHT).  And I did so after reading several threads here...so THANK YOU to everyone who had written, responded, or shared their replacement cover experiences or recommendations.  I can honestly say that I wouldn't have ever found Robert's if I hadn't found this forum...for all the Google searching I did, it never came up in at least 10 pages of search results.

It's tough searching online for a replacement cover if you do any research...it seems every dealer has a horror story review(s) that made me second guess the choice.  I'm a frugal gal and wanted to go the cheap route, but after reading here, I realized it was worth spending a little more and going with a company with a good reputation (except for the awful thread with a lot of emails in it)  ;) 

I'm a little nervous on my measurements - so many places say EXACT - and that Z measurement was a killer - a couple sites where I could put in my model # (Bullfrog 251) defaulted with same numbers so I went with it when it came within a 1/2 inch of what I think I got.

It will be VERY exciting to get rid of my water logged old cover - and thanks for the recommendations on the 303 spray (I have to write that down) - I will try to make sure I take good care of this new cover.

Now that I look at my cover I'm pretty sure I got the cheapest/lowest R value available (I had no idea!), so I hope to save a little on utilities, too.

Thanks again for having this forum and for all those so willing to share. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42