What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost of Parts  (Read 3773 times)

Zeeb

Cost of Parts
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:28 pm »
I am in the market for a new hot tub. I want a quality design, components and workmanship. I am also concerned about the cost and convenience of replacing parts that will inevitably go: pumps, heater, instrumentation. What is your opinion about the cost parts for the various top brands.  have heard that some companies have not parts interchangeability and you have to always buy their parts at high markup.

Hot Tub Forum

Cost of Parts
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:28 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Cost of Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »
Propitiatory parts can be slightly higher priced that standard parts. But they also have a track record of lasting longer.
Retired

Kev B

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:55 am »
Propitiatory parts can be slightly higher priced that standard parts. But they also have a track record of lasting longer.

How is a Marquis spas 5 year old proprietary topside made by Balboa something that will "last longer?"
What do you mean by that? So Proprietary circuit boards last longer?...HMMMMM

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:26 pm »

How is a Marquis spas 5 year old proprietary topside made by Balboa something that will "last longer?"
What do you mean by that? So Proprietary circuit boards last longer?...HMMMMM

If your topside is made by balboa for Marquis it can likely be replaced by another topside. However that DOES not mean it will be the same topside that Marquis buys from Balboa.

Do you think the topside supplied to a company like Strong Spas for Costco by balboa is the same topside supplied to Marquis?

Do you think a company like Balboa makes several levels of quality topsides?

Some spa companies tell manufacturers what they want in the topsides made by Balboa for them. Other companies tell Balboa how much they want to pay for their topsides. Do you think Balboa uses the same topsides for both companies?

Have you ever heard of the term "seconds" Every company with a quality control program has certain standards that have to be met in order to ensure their product is top notch. Some don't meet these standards. But are they disposed of? Not necessarily.

To make a run of lessor expensive topsides there are a lot of corners than can be cut to save money in the manufacturing process. This allows the manufacturer to sell them for less and still remain profitable.

Marquis is not the kind of company that tries to save money by asking for a "less expensive" topside. They are they kind of company that likely tells Balboa to meet their specs. for their topside. And that means more than just putting their name on it.

Make sense? The only way to know for sure is to get the part number off of a Balboa topside and compare it to a replacement.

I went to Walmart and looked at a Sony 55" TV that had the same specs as the 55" Sony TV I looked at from Best Buy. The part number was 2 digits different but both TV's looked exactly the same. Huh? 220 bucks different in pricing. Huh?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:14:53 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Kev B

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 11:21:54 am »
 Being as that I work on all brands, I see no difference in the amount of repairs from one company to another. I am always out on Marquis and Hot Springs calls just as much or more than the Costco tubs and other lesser brands. I can't tell you how many Hot Springs/Tiger River heaters and heater relay boards I have replaced. Clearwater does not put in proprietary controls and I don't see any difference in their quality.
Just tore out a 5 year old Marquis control system because they wanted 700 dollars for the circuit board (not counting labor) and I installed new topside, heater, and board. The v-series Balboa is just as good as anything Marquis puts out. It is all about the money and keeping it in house.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
Yep, Hot Spring uses proprietary parts that are a lot more expensive.  I'm not sure that their pumps are any better than a less expensive aqua-flo that lot's of companies use.  It does force you to buy directly from a Hot Spring dealer at a higher cost.  2 cents.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42