What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Balboa Topside Control and Their Policy of Enforced Obsolescence  (Read 6621 times)

FrankGRUN

Balboa Topside Control and Their Policy of Enforced Obsolescence
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:09:14 am »
I have HotTub with the Balboa EL2000 Mark 3 electric heater and control system. The topside control panel is a Balboa MLM990S. To my surprise, after a little more than 18 months operation, the control panel quit. That is, there is no display on the LCD and none of the buttons are functional. I have reset the system repeatedly, checked the interface cable for continuity and found no problem with connections or obvious water damage. Now, this system is located in the High Sierra, read snow and cold in the winter, so, with the original purchase, I added Balboa's ACDM hub splitter box to support the MLM990S Topside control and a wireless transmitter/receiver to support their PC Dashboard software to enable control from inside the house on my desktop computer. After the failure of the MLM990S, the PC Dashboard software continued to give me access to the primary controls for the hottub, with no operational change.

I went on a search on the net and also contacted Balboa to purchase a replacement or get the topside control repaired. I quickly discovered that Balboa had punitively obsoleted the MLM990S control panel. By that I mean that there were no replacement units available, Balboa did not offer either repair or refurbished units, and they had a policy of not supplying component repair parts or schematics to any outside (third party) repair group. They also reminded me that there was no support of any kind available for the PC Dashboard software or supporting components.

So the moral of this story is that this is a real 90-day warranty company. The actual functionality of the PC Dashboard software system is easily the equivalent of a current 8-grade electronic hobbyist effort and the lack of any electronic service or component support is amazing. I guess I'm spoiled by 30+ years of working with Apple Mac Computers and the level of hardware and software support I've enjoyed with this obviously more professional organization.

At this point, I am not aware of the range of alternatives to Balboa systems in the Spa market, but I would strongly suggest that any new purchaser look into the obsolescence policy of any prospective hardware vendor. Its hard to see, from my anecdotal experience, how there can be a poorer choice than going with Balboa Hardware. Of course, I've not chosen to go through all the hardware difficulties I had do address in the first 90-days, in this limited comment. If anyone knows of a third party repair outfit that can tackle the MLM990S, I'd love to hear about it.

Hot Tub Forum

Balboa Topside Control and Their Policy of Enforced Obsolescence
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:09:14 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Balboa Topside Control and Their Policy of Enforced Obsolescence
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:16:16 pm »
very unfortunate, basically what they're telling you is "we developed a product that is complete garbage so therefore we are pulling all parts, support, etc and dumping it" and the bad news for you Mr. Consumer is that your basically out of luck.  At the least they could offer you some type of replacement topside/software/whatever at a healthy discount.

And yes Apple a company with a 754 Billion dollar market cap is definitely going to be a little more "with it" so to speak :-)

FrankGRUN

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:24 pm »
I fully agree with your assessment of Balboa Waterworks and their business model. I only wanted to amplify my comment about Apple and the quality of their hardware and software. I was referring largely to their formative years with very small market share and their committment to quality engineering as opposed to the then current model of random purchase of the lowest cost components around. I'm convinced that their business model has been a major contributor to their current multibillion dollar success.

I for one would love to find a spa electronics company that actually had the confidence and cajones to stand behind their products. My grandchildren are still operating my first Mac some 31 years after the purchase!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 09:17:54 pm »
Comparing Apple to Balboa is like comparing, a truck load of apples, to an orange.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Kev B

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:28 am »
 Let's see....I see all these kids blowing money on all the latest Apple upgraded phones and stuff all the time. (Unless they get suckered into a contract) I had a stupid cell phone that went whacko after two years and the price to fix it was way more than I was willing to pay so I got another one. Balboa is a great company.

FrankGRUN

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
I see that this has gotten off the track of my original post by referring to an outfit that makes the quality of hardware one would expect for the outrageous cost of Balboa Water Group electronic products.

Let me clarify then. Balboa Water Group spa controls are expensive, offer embarrassingly poor levels of functionality for the price and are considered disposable by company policy should and when they fail. Throw your money away on them at your leisure!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
I see that this has gotten off the track of my original post by referring to an outfit that makes the quality of hardware one would expect for the outrageous cost of Balboa Water Group electronic products.

Let me clarify then. Balboa Water Group spa controls are expensive, offer embarrassingly poor levels of functionality for the price and are considered disposable by company policy should and when they fail. Throw your money away on them at your leisure!

Sorry you have had a bad experience with them. My experience with them has been quite positive. Never had had bad luck with them. How long ago did you buy this equipment?  In google searches it seems you can still find that controller. They may have discontinued it but it appears there are still some in circulation

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:11:47 pm »
I see Franks point but our throw away society has a lot of multi billion dollars company's that got there through customer service. Its tougher for smaller pump and fitting manufacturers/suppliers to supply "exemplary" customer service to earn a reputation and grow, like Apple did for example.

But labor for disassembly and re-assemble of spa control systems is more costly than full component replacement and that business model is not all that uncommon in several industry's.

Is it just a phone cord topside? There aren't others that will plug in and fit your opening? I have made SS cover plates to correct a smaller control in a bigger hole. Or cut a bigger hole to accommodate a bigger control. Its not that difficult.
Retired

FrankGRUN

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:47:46 am »
Bought the tub and Balboa Water System two years ago with completed installation in June of 2013. The system is their EL 2000 Mark 3. The MLM990S is connected to the main circuit board with a Molex connector. I'm assuming that the microcontroller that operates the LCD panel and transmits the button pulses to the main controller is gone. If so it will have their proprietary control software loaded into the microcontroller. I have the skills to replace the microcontroller but would have to have access to their software loaded chip. Despite Google searches, I have yet to find a vendor with the controller. They apparantly advertize availability, accept an order  without stock then contact Balboa for the item. Then Balboa announces "nothing here".

The microcontroller chips are inexpensive and their software costs are fully amortized because they have obsoleted the system. Any competent manufacturer with a warranty program will (or should) have a database of susceptable failed components. Making asmall stock of proprietary components available to third party component repair vendors should not jeaprodize the corporate  profit!

Kev B

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:48:49 am »
 One of my wholesalers, Allied Innovations has the board in stock, but I am not sure if I am able to do business with you on this forum. Find a dealer that uses Allied and have them see if topside is available. I know of no company that was using the 2000 in 2013 on their tubs so you must have done it yourself and got your hands on someones old stock they wanted to dump. The V series Balboa would be a great one to retrofit and I would take Balboa any day over Gecko.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »
Yeah, I see it in stock as well.  Have you tried any of the local spa retailers?  Most of them should be able to order the part for you. 

FrankGRUN

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:38 am »
Thanks guys, I had only been searching for online vendors, as every SPA dealer I have contacted here in Reno told me that they had no access to Balboa parts other than to order them from the factory. The online dealers first said they had it in stock, then announced that they could no longer get the part from Balboa. I will open the search to dealers outside Northern Nevada. I've just checked the online store for Allied Innovators and the search engine on there site says nothing available. I'll call them tomorrow!

Kev B

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 09:44:21 am »
 I have been in the industry for 30 years and have never ordered a part from Balboa. If there is a dealer in Reno buying direct from Balboa, I would be pissed.

FrankGRUN

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:15 am »
Wow! Just passing on the oral comments I received. I really had no idea about how the wholesale distribution system worked in this industry. BTW I made the purchase of the tub in late 2012 and took delivery in 2013. At the time I was warned by the vendor that Balboa was discontinuing the PC Dashboard system that I had included in my order since I wanted remote control of the tub from inside the house - given winter weather issues. Nothing said about the planned obsolescence of the EL system.  Admittedly, I was focussed on the details of the tub and was assured by the manufacturer that the supporting hardware was the best available, thereby justifying the price I paid.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42