What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need some help with easier water testing  (Read 2305 times)

Chum

Need some help with easier water testing
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:12:18 am »
I am currently using Aquachek test strips on my Sundance spa to check calcium hardness, alkalinity, ph, and bromine. I don't like the strips. The colors sometimes never match up to the chart on the bottle so I don't have good accuracy of what the levels are and it seems like I am guessing when I add chemicals.

I've heard about a Taylor test kit that is supposed to be more accurate but doesn't that also come down to more work and in the end, still trying to match colors to a chart?

My spa dealer has a fancy tester that is hooked up to a computer. The pour a bit of water into black circular tester and enter the gallon capacity of my tub into their computer. Then a minute later their computer prints out a report detailing the exact levels of each (calcium hardness, alkalinity, ph, and bromine) and tells me exactly how many ounces of whatever chemicals are needed to get everything as it should be.

What kinds of testers are the spa dealers using? I would love to switch to a testing system that checks an actual water sample and then tells me the exact levels of everything. I guess I don't need something as fancy as the dealer's computer hook-up but it would be nice to remove the guesswork and get a digital reading.

I appreciate your responses.
Chum

Hot Tub Forum

Need some help with easier water testing
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:12:18 am »

Quickbeam

Re: Need some help with easier water testing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:41:20 am »
My advice is to get the Taylor test kit. Much more accurate than test strips and not a lot of work. If you want to make it easier still, get Taylor’s “Speed Stir” magnetic stirrer. You can find it here https://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_Partinfo.asp?MarketID=1&ReplacementPartID=2300  I have one and it works great.

As for accuracy, my dealer has what sounds like the same kind of testing mechanism as your dealer. When I told my dealer I had the Taylor test kit he told me he thought that it would be more accurate than the computer set up he was using. There is also another dealer I go to once in a while and they only use the Taylor test kit to test customers water.

Waterlogger

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »
Your dealer is using the Spin Lab.
Test strips are OK, they will let you know if you are low or high, but will not give you accurate results. The Pentair Rainbow Pro-11 kit is a good option, does everything but TDS...Best bet is to get your tests done by your spa dealer bi-weekly.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:31 pm »
I say weekly to start, that's why the taylor is your best bet. Tough to get to the spa store weekly. Make sure your stips if you use them are fresh. Your less likely to have water/component problems if you keep it closer to balanced, always. Its a little work but the soak is worth it. Eventually you will know what your water needs monthly and weekly, may be nothing some weeks.

We can tell you what our recommendations are for helping you balance your water.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42