What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: circuit breaker tripping  (Read 1993 times)

dzusbutton

circuit breaker tripping
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:29 am »
I have a hot tub for about 6 years.  The wiring from the hot tub to the gfi circuit breaker was about 30 feet.  Everything was fine.  Recently I moved and brought the tub with me.  The wiring from tub to breaker is now about 100 feet.  I used #6 wiring.  The original circuit breaker was 50 amps.  When the pump is on high, the breaker would trip.  I thought it was possibly because of the longer run.  I installed a 60 amp gfi breaker and that also trips.  The pump runs for about a minute before the breaker trips.  Any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

circuit breaker tripping
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:29 am »

Kev B

Re: circuit breaker tripping
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:51:27 am »
 Will it run on low with the heater on? I do not believe it is an amp issue.

dzusbutton

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:08:20 pm »
Yes, it will run with the pump on low and the heater on.  The only time the circuit breaker trips is when the pump is on high, whether the heater is on or not.

Kev B

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
 Ok, there is either a wire in the wrong place a relay stuck on board or the motor is bad. I doubt the breaker is the issue.

dzusbutton

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:46 am »
OK.  Thank you.  I will first double check the wiring.  The only wires I touched were the wires going to the breaker.  If all is well there, I will get an amp meter and check the amps on each wire when running the pump on high before the breaker kicks.  Thanks again.

aeajr

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:29 am »
You can check the amp draw of the line using a gauge that clamps around the wire if you think you might be drawing too much power.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42