What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Test Kit and Test Strip PH difference  (Read 2157 times)

skstephenson1

Water Test Kit and Test Strip PH difference
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:33:23 pm »
I am having a problem after a fresh refill of my Jacuzzi J280 Hot Tub, which i did last week, getting my PH to even be remotely the same when using my Poolmaster water kit vs ANY strips(currently have Nature2 Strips, Leisure Time Strips and one other brand that I cannot remember)

The drop test after putting in a drop of solution 4(also tried 0 drops and 2 drops) and 5 drops of solution 2 will read 7.8ish and ALL of my test strips will read between 6.2 and 6.8, almost orange color.  Is there something that can be making such a huge difference between the two methods?  I plan on taking a test to spa store but I do not live within 40 miles of one so it cannot be done quickly.

The rest of the test are similar with TA being just under 80ppm (due to me trying to lower the ph earlier going off drop test) FC around 2-3ppm, Hardness about 150 (i added calcium chloride due to soft water) The water looks great and no smells and before the refill the poolmaster kit and test strips would be similiar in readings.  I also tried my tap water which the strips and water kit came out to be similiar, so something is going on.

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Test Kit and Test Strip PH difference
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:33:23 pm »

chem geek

Re: Water Test Kit and Test Strip PH difference
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:58 am »
High chlorine levels can react with the phenol red dye making it turn towards purple so reading artificially high in pH, but your FC level isn't that high so that's probably not the problem.  I'd normally trust the phenol red test over test strips, but usually for pH the test strips are pretty good.  Sorry I am not of much help.

skstephenson1

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:37 am »
I was hoping that was the problem too but I've tested it with just about 0 FC to make sure to no avail. I'm leaning towards balancing the ph based off the test strips which is disappointing as now I'll probably always second guess the drop test with phenol. I even bought a new solution with same results.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42