What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is it ok to use bleach as shock with a brominator?  (Read 1727 times)

hanexs

Is it ok to use bleach as shock with a brominator?
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:08:42 pm »
Hi, I've read a few articles on bleach, but some of them didn't mention my specific situation so I thought I'd ask. 

Currently i use bromine tablets and shock every few days or week with dichlor (or mps if I'm out..).   But now that I'm out of dichlorvos and waiting for the next delivery, I've been thinking why not use bleach?   I like my bro unstop, and the constant supply part, but would it be ok to use about a cup of bleach as a shock?   Anyone have experience with this?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:34:41 pm by hanexs »

Hot Tub Forum

Is it ok to use bleach as shock with a brominator?
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:08:42 pm »

chem geek

Re: Is it ok to use bleach as shock with a brominator?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »
Because you should have a bromide bank either you created initially from sodium bromide or that has built up from use of bromine tabs (unless you just changed the water), using any oxidizer such as bleach, dichlor, or MPS will oxidize the bromide to bromine.  So yes, you can use bleach if you like.  One teaspoon of Dichlor is roughly equivalent to 1 fluid ounce of 8.25% bleach and is roughly equivalent to two teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS).

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Is it ok to use bleach as shock with a brominator?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42