What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Awesome outside in the cold but how do you deal with the ice?  (Read 2530 times)

Chum

Awesome outside in the cold but how do you deal with the ice?
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:31:05 am »
The hot tub is great outside and has made the early winter weather more bearable. I put some secure step strips (these things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8se3IOYL50) on my patio steps and they seem to do a good job.

We're not using them for our plastic steps into the hot tub because the secure step strips are too long, and I worry about them slipping off of the plastic tub steps. However, the tub steps are crazy slippery. Any suggestions to keep them free of ice, aside from bringing the steps into the house or garage between uses? We don't have room inside the house and it is quite a walk around the house to get to the garage.

I appreciate any tips, thanks!

Chum

Hot Tub Forum

Awesome outside in the cold but how do you deal with the ice?
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:31:05 am »

Topline Mike

Re: Awesome outside in the cold but how do you deal with the ice?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »
I'm dealing with the same thing, Chum.  Last night is got down to 2°.  Ice on the steps, and very slippery.  I don't want to use salt, as this will get dragged in the tub.  Maybe I'll lay a towel on the steps before we go in, and last person out will take it inside.  Icicles in your hair, slushy beer, hard to beat! 

DaveMc

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:37:35 pm »
There are "sandpaper" tape available at hardware stores--non skid tape--yellow---black---however if it freezes over--it will freeze over the tape too---I sunk my tub into my deck 19 inches---so it is step in not climb up and get in.

KenZ71

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »
I am looking for suggestions as well. Maybe a couple gutter heat tape strips under the deck in a path to the tub?

buba

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »
Low tech... Textured rubber soled swim shoes
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:38:45 pm by buba »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »
Keep the snow cleared from on and around your tub. Even at 10 below the sun will take care of it.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:54:40 am »
Low tech... Textured rubber soled swim shoes

That's it!  I'll just add, extra care getting in and out using the grab bars. I've been doing it for 10 years.  The ice may form but doesn't seem to stick, a few kicks and it breaks up and can be brushed away.  Of course we are out almost every night and it doesn't build up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:54:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42