What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: will clearwater blue make my water corrosive?  (Read 2495 times)

jacuzzidude

will clearwater blue make my water corrosive?
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »
Hi, Clearwater blue is a water treatment system that uses copper ions as an chlorine/bromine alternative.  In order to make it work all of the calcium is removed from the water.  Isn't a minimum amount of hardness needed  to keep the water from becoming corrosive?  What am I missing?   Any Clearwater blue users want to share their experience?  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

will clearwater blue make my water corrosive?
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »

jacuzzidude

Re: will clearwater blue make my water corrosive?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
Never mind.  Read some threads which question the basis of the Clearwater product.  That fact alone made me revert back to dichlor and oxy spa.  The corrosive issue is iicing on the cake.  However, I am still interested in how the soft water doesn't lead to some corrosion issues.....if anyone knows.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:49:36 am »
soft water is fine in an acrylic spa, salt water systems like copper systems also require Calcium Hardness levels to be on the lower end of the spectrum, around 50-75ppm to be exact.  What you don't want is super low pH, at that point your water is acidic and can be very harmful for the components of the spa

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 02:01:06 am »
Why is the calcium supposed to be lower in metal ion systems such as copper or silver?  The only system I know that required CH to be very low was the ACE saltwater sanitizing system and that's because it used boron-doped diamond electrodes that were prone to calcium carbonate scaling (more so than regular saltwater chlorine generators).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 02:01:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42