What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Limelight Glow Extra Insulation  (Read 2982 times)

bobaloo

HS Limelight Glow Extra Insulation
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:04 pm »
I have a 2014 HS Glow model and the manual states the following shown below.  I was wondering if anyone has bought the equipment compartment insulating kit or if you think I'm ok without it.  I live in Northern NY and it can get below 10 degrees here.

PREVENTION OF FREEZING
Your spa has been designed and engineered for year-round use in any climate. In some areas, extremely cold temperatures (below 10°F) combined with strong wind, may cause partial freezing of the jet pump, even though the water inside the spa remains at the selected temperature.
The energy efficiency of the spa may also decrease during these cold periods, as the heater will cycle more frequently. As an additional precaution against partial freezing of some of the components, the equipment compartment can be insulated with an insulating kit (available from your local dealer). This insulating kit will also help to maximize the spa’s energy efficiency. NOTE: When warmer weather returns (approx. 60°-70°F), the insulating kit must be removed to prevent overheating of the jet pump.

Hot Tub Forum

HS Limelight Glow Extra Insulation
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:04 pm »

Hot Spring Ace

Re: HS Limelight Glow Extra Insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »
I have a 2014 HS Glow model and the manual states the following shown below.  I was wondering if anyone has bought the equipment compartment insulating kit or if you think I'm ok without it.  I live in Northern NY and it can get below 10 degrees here.

PREVENTION OF FREEZING
Your spa has been designed and engineered for year-round use in any climate. In some areas, extremely cold temperatures (below 10°F) combined with strong wind, may cause partial freezing of the jet pump, even though the water inside the spa remains at the selected temperature.
The energy efficiency of the spa may also decrease during these cold periods, as the heater will cycle more frequently. As an additional precaution against partial freezing of some of the components, the equipment compartment can be insulated with an insulating kit (available from your local dealer). This insulating kit will also help to maximize the spa’s energy efficiency. NOTE: When warmer weather returns (approx. 60°-70°F), the insulating kit must be removed to prevent overheating of the jet pump.

I think its a wise idea that can pay for itself over time, just be sure to remove it come spring time.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:43:42 pm »
A must here in Northern Minnesota.
Retired

H2OTub

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:28 pm »
I purchased a Flair a month ago and had the same question as the OP....even live in upstate NY too!. Have noticed that when my jets first turn on, the ones near the equipment bay shoot out chillier water for a second. It's not really that cold out yet, was wondering if just stuffing fiberglass insulation in there would work...don't want the pumps to overheat though.

bobaloo

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:07:45 am »
Anyone know the cost of the Watkins insulation kit?

Has someone made their own insulation and placed it in the equipment bay?  I would love to see some pics.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:13:46 am by bobaloo »

DaveMc

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
Adding insulation is a not brainer---it increases temp sustainability and reduces cost of heating--in California energy is .31 per KWH---3 times the .10 in most parts of the country--but then again this is California the land of fruits and nuts and save the frog and never clear a forest of dead or downed trees---let them burn.
Insulation works by trapping air between surfaces so that the radiant loss or gain of temp is minimized.  If the foam to enclosure space will accommodate then a layer of insulation attached to the enclosure panels and stuffed in the corners helps trap the air---so now cold air hits the enclosure but is impeded from reaching the foam.
Sundance has what they call "ecowrap---foil backed 1/2 inch insulation for a hundred to 2 hundred buck---a good investment in lowering your heating bill.
The only downside mentioned is over heating in the summer--so check for or install a bottom and top closable vent in the panel near the equipment---in Sundance it is all in the "front"

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42