What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which Ozonator to get?  (Read 5096 times)

Nessuno

Which Ozonator to get?
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »
I've done a lot of research and seem to have several options to fix/replace my old Sunzone CD (250mg/hr) in my 2000 Sundance 850 series Cameo:
  • I can get the DEL 5PA0213 renewal kit which is a high output at 250mg/hr
  • I can get the DEL MCD-50 which outputs 50mg/hr
  • I can get the DEL Spa Eclipse Next Generation with AGP (don't know its ozone output) (why is it cheaper than the MCD-50 if it's newer?)
  • I can get the Jed 103 which outputs 100mg/hr
  • I can get the Sundance 6473-150 with AGP which outputs 125mg/hr

I think they are all good ozonators. I would just like to know if the AGP is that much better of a technology and if any of the techs out there have had any issues with any of these brands. It almost seems the renewal  kit would give me the most bang for the buck at 250mg/hr. Is there such a thing as too much ozone output?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:34:39 am by HomePC »

Hot Tub Forum

Which Ozonator to get?
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »

Nessuno

Re: Which Ozonator to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:41:13 am »
Just in case anyone else is comparing ozonators, I've done a lot of googling, but have found very little in reviews or comparisons of various ones. The only thing I can really find out is that CD is better than UV and that it is preferred to have a 24/7hr circulation pump when using an ozonator. I did read one item (and only 1 item) that said DEL has a big marketing share and hence, is popular, but that they don't actually produce anything better if as good as the other manufacturers such as JED, Prozone, or the others. I'm leaning towards the JED 103 because it has higher ozone output.

jacuzzidude

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »
Prozone pz1 with the red prozone venturi injector.  It produces a ton of ozone, rated for 20,000hours and has a two year warranty.  I installed it last night and I'm thrilled at the performance. Go directly to the company for the best deal.

http://www.prozoneint.com/poolproducts.php

jacuzzidude

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:43:54 pm »
I was in your boat trying to get the highest output.  The pz1 can produce up to 8 grams a day.  24 hour runtime assumed puts the output at 333 mg per hour.  This is best case of course but then the rest of the figures you posted are also best case I'm sure.

Nessuno

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
Thank you for pointing out the Prozone. The 2 year warranty is impressive, as is the output. I believe it is an UV though, and I was under the impression that CD is the way to go now. I wasn't even sure anyone was still making UV. I wonder how long the UV will put out 8g/day. I've read they go down hill over time.

I was leaning towards the Jed 103, but then I read that it uses CD Chip technology. Isn't that an older technology than CD Electrode?  The Sundance, I've read, uses Del internal parts. I think my old one, 2000 Sunzone CD, was using CD Electrode, and that was when Electrode was just coming into the market. I may be way off.   ???  I'm trying to find out if there is a difference between chip and electrode. Will report back.

Nessuno

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:19:38 pm »
The following comes directly from the JED owner's manual for the 103 -

"CD SUBASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

The anticipated life expectancy of the CD subassembly is approximately 1-4 years, depending on the ozonator run time. After 2 years, we recommend replacing the CD subassembly. The red indicator light on the enclosure has a similar life expectancy to the CD subassembly. When the red light fails to illuminate, it is time to replace the subassembly. Specify JED Engineering part number 80-39-70000 when ordering replacement subassembly."

I guess if you run the Jed 103 24/7, it's not going to last but a year or two.

jacuzzidude

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »
The prozone is some sort of hybrid of the CD and UV.  Definitely a UV as the whole thing lights up when its on.  The build is high quality as well....and its priced right.  I'm tempted to get the fiber optic light But my tub doesn't run the ozonator when the main pumps activate.  Lame but true.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42