What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please share your winterizing tips  (Read 3404 times)

Chartreux

Please share your winterizing tips
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:33:12 am »
1.We are in Texas and they are expecting a hard freeze for us this week, What are tips for new to be spa/hot tub people?

2.Please chime in with how to protect spas from freezing, and 3. also do you use your spa Hot tub in the winter?

Many Thanks for this information!

Just trying to be informed...

Hot Tub Forum

Please share your winterizing tips
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:33:12 am »

Nessuno

Re: Please share your winterizing tips
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »
I'm in the midwest where temps are currently in the single digits with windchills in the negative area. I have a 2000 Sundance 850 series. Winter is when I use my tub the most.  :)  I don't do anything special to Winterize it. My tub has a circulation pump that is pumping hot water through the system all the time 24/7, even when the heater is off.  I have the option of running my filtration cycle 24/7 via one of  my main pumps as a fail safe to keep water flowing through it, in case the circ pump fails. My tub does NOT have an insulated service area and is vunerable to cold. If your tub's service area is insulated, you may not need that flow 24/7 like I do. If the tub has a problem, like heater going out, then I will turn the tub off and drain as much as I can out of the tub and pumps. I would think it would be a good idea to open up the air bleed valves on the pumps to minimize freezing in the propeller areas. I believe with a good cover, the water in the shell will stay above freezing for a few days (someone else confirm this please) should power go out. It's the service area I have had problems with.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:42:47 pm »
1. Enjoy your spa.
2. Check you spa daily to be sure it has electricity to it and is running.
3. This is the most popular time to use a spa.

("Winterizing" is a term used to describe shutting down a spa for the winter.)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:39 pm »
I love using my hot tub in the winter, especially when it is snowing. One of the first things I do during/following a snow fall, is to shovel a path to the hot tub. :)  As far as winterizing, just ensure that it has power and is working.   That's it. 
Good luck with the cold snap and happy hot tubbing!

Nessuno

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »
I love using my hot tub in the winter, especially when it is snowing. One of the first things I do during/following a snow fall, is to shovel a path to the hot tub. :)  As far as winterizing, just ensure that it has power and is working.   That's it. 
Good luck with the cold snap and happy hot tubbing!

What he said. One of the first things I do is shovel a path on my deck.   8)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:26 pm »
Get a thick robe and a small fuzzy rug you can bring inside to dry out after it thaws. And use a car brush to remove any snow from the cover.

Oh and make sure you maintain your tub and it's power supply.
Retired

Nessuno

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
Tman did have a nice suggestion. Keep the snow brushed off of your cover. That extra weight will make it sag over time. I use a long handle shop broom.

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
Thank You for the suggestions and advise...

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:14 am »
HomePC, I love the shop broom idea.  I've been using a regular broom.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
The only problems with a shop broom is that they are dirty and not strong enough for a lot of snow. And here in Northern Minnesota, that's the norm. But we get a lot of light fluffy snow and my leaf blower works when it's light.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42