What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heating Problems  (Read 4721 times)

Hotrod8975

Heating Problems
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:14:31 am »
Hello All;
I am new to this forum and I need some help. I have had this tub for severall years and it has been unused for a year now. I cleaned and checked everything to put it back in service. The problem is the temp reading on the display shows 32 degrees all the time. I turned the breaker on and the 2 speed circulation came on and I had 240 volts on the heater but the temp display did not change. I replaced the heating element, which did not help. I then replaced the probe, which also did not help. Even with all that, it is still not heating the water in the tub. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bobby

Hot Tub Forum

Heating Problems
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:14:31 am »

LeoL

Re: Heating Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »
Some more info would be required to help you, what's the pump(s) configuration. Tub brand and year. I assume tub is in Celsius?

Hotrod8975

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »
Sorry, we had the tub built. Not sure of the brand of tub. It has 1 two speed main motor, 1 5hp secondary motor, blower, and 5500 watt heater. I have replaced the temp, probe, and heating element but the display still only reads 32 degrees.  If I turn off the main breaker and then back on, pump 1 comes on at low speed and I have 240 volts on the heater. After it runs for a while it will shut off. I can turn the pump back on using the control panel, but I do not have the 240 volts on the heater. The water doesn't get warm and the temp display stays on 32 degrees. I can adjust the temp setting all the way up to 104 degrees but it doesn't help. I have also checked, (and even jumped out) the flow switch.
The info on the control box is Model SC-MP-P122-P212-B1-01   Options NE-LS-H5.5-AMP-HS2   Serial # 041330177
I really hope someone can help me. I live in the country so no dealers close to call for help. My wife has joint problems and I really need to get it fixed.

Thanks Again

Hotrod8975

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:43:33 am »
I guess no one can help me with my problem. Thanks anyway.

DaveMc

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:28:54 pm »
You need an electrician!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »
Ok, so you have a Gecko S-class controller. Definitely don't want to call an electrician for this! You need a service tech experienced with Gecko....or search google for;

gecko s-class service manual

The first result (for me) is a pdf copy of the service manual.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hotrod8975

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:46:01 pm »
I am an electrician, and have checked everything I can think of. I will see if I can find a manual to ehlp me trouble shoot it farther. Thank you for your help.

Kev B

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:40:29 am »
 Get a new control system.....I would go with a Balboa.

LeoL

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:45:26 pm »
Having 240 at the heater doesn't mean its working, you have to use a clamp-on ampmeter on one of the house leads and ensure that the amperage is there. pump maybe 3A + heater 22-24A. You should have a reading around 24-28 amps depending on what size heater and pump. Are there any error codes or flashing lights on the top display.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:31:20 am »
Having 240 at the heater doesn't mean its working, you have to use a clamp-on ampmeter on one of the house leads and ensure that the amperage is there. pump maybe 3A + heater 22-24A. You should have a reading around 24-28 amps depending on what size heater and pump. Are there any error codes or flashing lights on the top display.

Like mentioned in another thread.   If you have 220v going to the heater and it's not heating.  99.9% of the time it's a bad heater.  Not often if ever is there an exception to the rule.

goneaway

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:16 am »
If you are getting 240v at the heater cables, are you measuring a resistance reading through the heater element.
If youre saying yes to both, then this may sound foolish, but how long are you waiting for a temperature increase.
Depending on your external ambient temperature, it could be 30 minutes to an hour before you see even a 1 degree fluctuation.

Failing that, how confident are you that water is flowing through the heater element ?

Clamp a volt meter to the heater wires, then power up.
If you have a flow problem, or a flow switch problem, then the voltage will shut off after a short while.

goneaway

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 06:09:13 am »
Not sure if these are of any use to you.

www.netroebuck.co.uk/spaservice.pdf
www.netroebuck.co.uk/SpaService2.pdf

i'm sure one of these manuals describes how to adjust the flow switch

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 06:09:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42