What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need to fix leak  (Read 4409 times)

LWRardin

Need to fix leak
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:51:30 am »
Hi everyone,
   recently got a 2000 Hot Springs Grandee and after getting it setup, and new heater, found it had a leak which I've at least located A leak and hopefully the only leak but we'll see. The leak is on a 1/4" black hose behind one of the corner seats (back left as looking at the tub from control panel.  It is where the hose goes into the tub. Not sure if the hose is cracked or whatever it attaches to.  Tub is full at the moment. So questions are.  1 should I drain to at least below this tbe?   2 what do I use to repair is there a nipple that can be fused on for the tube to connect to?  3  If it is just the tube being old should I cut off and reattach shorter or is it better to add a length of new tube. 4  what do I replace the foam that I dug out to find the leak with?
  Thanks
Larry

Hot Tub Forum

Need to fix leak
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:51:30 am »

LWRardin

Re: Need to fix leak
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:33 pm »
Update,  with the light of morning I tried to put a clamp on since there was nonebut there was rust stain. In doing so  the tube came off the tub broke through the nipple that was left in the tube end.  So now I need to attach a nipple to the tub so I can connect the tube.  Do they sell repair nipples maybe with a flange to aid in gluing and how does one attach without getting glue in the openning?
Thanks,
Larry

LWRardin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:21:55 am »
Ok, sice I've gotten such a great response on this I have had to find other answers which I have a new nipple  coming to correct the leak So maybe if I limit the needed response to What do I use to re-insullate where I dug out the wet foam?
Thanks I think,
Larry

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »
I would just put some regular batten insulation in a plastic bag or bags and stuff it in loosely.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:13 am »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner - life has been a bit busy lately.

Yes, you have found out that there is a repair nipple available. You might as well do both sides while you are at it.

The hole you need to drill is 19/64" - and that can be a hard one to find. I found a place which sharpens blades and bits. They also sell blades and bits, and some of the bits are drill bits, so I picked up ten. I haven't managed to lose all ten yet, so far so good.

The rust was all that was left of a spring clamp. DO NOT try to use a screw clamp: it is a guaranteed leak in the very near future.

I warm the tubing so it slips right on, and so there is no strain on the nipple. Prime both the nipple and the tube with purple primer (I just dip the end of the tube into the can of primer) I slide the spring clamp onto the tube a ways to keep it out of my way when I am warming the tube with a heat gun. Be careful!

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Kev B

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
 You can find the replacement nipple and all parts for your specific tub at backyardplus.com
Get a couple of those nipples as they have multiple uses in your tub.

jacuzzidude

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:18:48 pm »

Yes, you have found out that there is a repair nipple available. You might as well do both sides while you are at it.

The hole you need to drill is 19/64" - and that can be a hard one to find. I found a place which sharpens blades and bits. They also sell blades and bits, and some of the bits are drill bits, so I picked up ten. I haven't managed to lose all ten yet, so far so good.

The rust was all that was left of a spring clamp. DO NOT try to use a screw clamp: it is a guaranteed leak in the very near future.

I warm the tubing so it slips right on, and so there is no strain on the nipple. Prime both the nipple and the tube with purple primer (I just dip the end of the tube into the can of primer) I slide the spring clamp onto the tube a ways to keep it out of my way when I am warming the tube with a heat gun. Be careful!

HTH

8)

I didn't think you were supposed to use the primer on any kind of flexible tubing as it degraded the softer material too much?  also, why no screw clamps?

LWRardin

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »

HTH

8)
I also should have checked back sooner and I have the same questions as the last one about the screw clamp as that is what I put on.  I have not sealed up the exterior so I could at least take off the clamp not sure if I want to remove the tube to switch to a spring clamp but I could cut it off so as not to break the nipple off so id the screw clamp a 100% fail?  And I used clear tubing and should I use the primer on it?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42