What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator issue  (Read 3892 times)

riddler

Ozonator issue
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:31:57 pm »
I noticed my ozonator has stopped working and the first thing I noticed was the air line was clogged with the nasty sticky solution that it creates. So I ran to the store and bought two check valves and new tubing.  Well, I thought that would work but it did not. I tried to blow air into the Venturi valve and it didn't go to well. It also won't suck any vinegar through the line when I tried that trick. Do you guys think I need to change the Venturi injector? I have a jed ozonator and the new line I bought was 1/4". I don't know if the ozonator is the issue, but in the past I have run vinegar through the lines to clean them. Now even with the new tubing I can't get any suction from the valve. What do you think I should do??

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator issue
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:31:57 pm »

libertyforall

Re: Ozonator issue
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »
Well, how old is the Ozonator?  I just replaced mine this month with a Del Ozone unit (Eclipse Next Generation), my old Hotspring Freshwater III was almost 7 years old.  You might also remove the injector and inspect it, need to drain the tub first.  Why do you have two check valves?  Mine has just one between the ozonator and the injector... 

I believe that solution is nitric acid, be careful around it, you can get severe burns from it!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »
This has absolutely nothing to do with the ozonator. An ozonator is simply a "box", that produces ozone, which is then by some other means sucked out of it. Your problem is with the "some other means" that sucks out the ozone. Probably a fault in the venturi injector.  Though, this doesn't mean that your ozonator is in fact working.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

libertyforall

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »
Ozonators seem to have a finite life, so the age of the unit is a valid question -- if the injector is gummed up, I would think the ozonator could also be 3+ years old.  Nobody said the ozonator caused the blockage. 

clover

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »
I noticed my ozonator has stopped working and the first thing I noticed was the air line was clogged with the nasty sticky solution that it creates. So I ran to the store and bought two check valves and new tubing.  Well, I thought that would work but it did not. I tried to blow air into the Venturi valve and it didn't go to well. It also won't suck any vinegar through the line when I tried that trick. Do you guys think I need to change the Venturi injector? I have a jed ozonator and the new line I bought was 1/4". I don't know if the ozonator is the issue, but in the past I have run vinegar through the lines to clean them. Now even with the new tubing I can't get any suction from the valve. What do you think I should do??
Try removing the suction line going into the mazzie, unscrew the fitting, remove the gasket and little white ball and spring, then probe down into the valve with a tooth pick to break loose any calcium buildup clogging the air draw of the venturri. IF the mazzie is not clogged you should get water back through the open venturri.  Reassemble and attach the ozone line and blow into it to blow bubbles into the tub.  When reattaching the ozone lines be sure to blow through the check valve to determine the one way street that it represents.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

riddler

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:07 pm »
My tub and ozonator are almost 11 years old. I am leaning more towards the Venturi injector being my problem. I put the new tubing in and I tried blowing air through the Venturi injector and it took about all I had in me to get bubbles to come out inside the tub.
What part is the mazzie?? I don't know where that is located. All I see is a tube running from my ozonator with a few check valves leading into the Venturi injector. I guess I'm gonna have to drain the tub and replace the injector.
Is there a particular way I need to install the new one? I'm gonna put the new one in and fill the tub up half way to see if that was the problem. If not, whats next?

Isaac-1

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:35 pm »
If the ozonator is 11 years old I suspect all those bubbles are just going to be air and it probably not even worth wasting the money on a $20 ozone tester tube.  The typical ozonator life is closer to 2 or 3 years before they stop producing ozone, some of the newer ones claim 5 years.

clover

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »
I am sorry, the ozone tubing you replaced attaches to the mazzie.  Open it up and probe into it as suggested to solve your air bubble problem.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42