What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Upgrading Pump on a Beachcomber tub  (Read 2223 times)

aintnotimemachine

Upgrading Pump on a Beachcomber tub
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:24 am »
Hi!

I have recently aquired an immaculate Beachcomber 160 really cheap, but unfortunately didn't really do my homework, and the jet pressure is not particularly high. The pump seems to be a bit of a wimp. It currently has a 2 speed 1.5 HP motor, but anyone have any idea if I can throw a 2 HP (or larger) in this without damaging anything else, and if so, a decent place to get hold of one.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Upgrading Pump on a Beachcomber tub
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:24 am »

LeoL

Re: Upgrading Pump on a Beachcomber tub
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »
Just keep an eye on the total amperage you will have, as you should not exceed 80% of the rating of you GFCI breaker or it can trip off and be a nuisance. Example - if you have a 40A GFCI you shouldn't exceed 32amps total for your tub. It will all be dependent on what breaker and wire is attached to the tub. That being said upgrading 1 or 2 HP max is ok, the jetting is configured to the pump size, if you put on a motor too big, you'll get a lot of back-pressure on the pump and cause a premature failure or overheat.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:26 pm »
as mentioned above you need to keep an eye on amperage of the pump you will be putting into the spa.  Also depending on the actual type of jets used in the spa (they may be able to be replaced if they are a standard waterway jet for example) and how the spa is actually plumbed you might not see a real significant "upgrade" in jet pressure however.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42