What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My two quotes on 2014 Hot Springs Flair..  (Read 9232 times)

f6487

My two quotes on 2014 Hot Springs Flair..
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:33 pm »
I'm looking at two local Hot Spring dealers in the Bay Area, CA. 

One dealer quoted me $9400 plus tax.  That's easily $10k out the door.
He said if I pay by check he can knock off $300 and if I didn't want the cover lifter he could take off an additional $400.  That puts me at $8700 plus tax.  That deal includes cover, delivery, sub panel, ozone system, chemicals, etc. 

The other dealer got a little more creative because they have a 2014 Flair that was on the showroom floor but is now in a warehouse.  It's probably been returned by someone but there not going to give me the real scoop.  Regardless, it's Redwood/Pearl and comes with a full warranty.

Also included is Rust colored cover with there most basic lift.
Basic steps.  Silk Balance water system. Ozone System.  Delivery.  Sub panel & chemicals.

Since it's a floor model they said they could do $8249.00 plus tax would be $8929.54.

Any thoughts on these two prices?  I honestly don't like either one.  I want to be much closer to $8000 out the door with everything included.  Maybe it's a pipe dream but I'll hold out and see if prices drop as we get closer to the end of the year.  I'm in no rush to make this purchase so I might as well see what the end of the year looks like at this point.

I get it that the most important thing is to find the tub that you like and over the life of the tub it doesn't really make a big difference if you over paid for the tub as long as you are enjoying it.

I don't want to feel like I'm getting hosed.  I've read thread after thread where the prices are all over the place depending on location.  I'm in Northern, CA where home prices and the cost of living is off the charts.  Even though these tubs only ship from Southern CA & Mexico.  Seems like people in the middle of the country are getting better deals.

Hot Tub Forum

My two quotes on 2014 Hot Springs Flair..
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:33 pm »

Chartreux

Re: My two quotes on 2014 Hot Springs Flair..
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:48:07 pm »
Maybe look at the JetSetter by Hot Springs if that's the dealer your going to go with, The prices you listed sound good and you probably will not get under $8,000 for those tubs.
You really should try wet testing the tubs before asking for a price.
I thought the Jet Setter was going to be great with the moto massage, but It was to rough for my back and I had a hard time with the knobs as I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my right hand, mri showed two nodules in my right hand...That's why a wet test is so very important. About the only thing to vary for hot tubs in different States should be the Sales Tax...
Why are you getting a price for a hot tub/spa you don't like? You did say you don't like them??? Sorry, could you explain...

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »
I think he meant he didn't like either of the prices.

f6487

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:35 am »
Chartreux.  What I said was I didn't like either of the two prices I was quoted.  Why would I ask for a quote on a tub that I didn't like?  I like the Flair a lot and I wet tested it.  Not a fan of the Jetsetter.  Nice tub but too small for me, my wife and son.  Perfect for one or two people max.

As far as your comment about the price of tubs & sales tax varying in different parts of the country I agree and disagree.  It's agree that sales tax varies from state to state.  But everything I've read in these threads seems to point out that a tub in the middle of South Dakota is going to be cheaper than a tub near a big city.  In an area where the cost of living is much cheaper they probably have to knock the price down so people can afford them.  And in an area where rent is high and property value is through the roof they're going to jack them up and get top dollar.  I have seen numerous posts of pricing and it's all over the map.  And the lowest pricing seems to be in more remote area's that have a lower cost of living.  Just my two cents..

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:33:11 pm by f6487 »

libertyforall

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »
Also since these are expensive, don't forget to shop around for a lower county sales tax to make your purchase in, it could save you a good chunk of change.  ;) 

Rotten1965

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:13 pm »
The best price here in the Mid-West for a Hotsprings Limelight series "Flair" would be $8,499.99 + sales tax. That price includes: Cover, Cover Cradle 1, Polymer Steps, 220V/50 amp sub panel box, 6 months of Chemicals (customers choice) and Delivery. So here in Michigan that's $9,009.99 out the door.

f6487

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:47:35 am »
Thanks for the feedback on the pricing of the 2014 in your area.  Just nice to get an idea of what they are going for in other parts of the country.  I'm located in Sonoma County, CA and your pricing seems to be in line with what I've been quoted.  For the 2014 Flair in my neck of the I have been quoted roughly $9k out the door with everything that you had listed.  I'm still doing my research and looking into some other tubs and pricing before I make a final decision. 

Rotten1965

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »
Just my opinion and it's not because I sell all Watkins made hot tubs and have owned one for 15 years......There is nothing that compares to the Hotsprings Highlife series hot tubs. They are in a class on their own. 3 things that made me go with Hotsprings that no other manufacture can provide.
1. 100% No bypass filtration system. All other Hot Tubs have bypass fittings in their tubs so you are not getting the cleanest water and will spend more on chemicals to maintain your tubs water. 2. Jet variety. They don't have the most jets but have the best variety of jets and they make their own (almost all other manufacture buy from a 3rd party jet vender) so the pumps are designed to power the custom made jets to provide you with a great massage and each seat has a different feel to give you a great massage no matter where your muscles hurt. 3. The ONLY Hot Tub that comes with an energy guarantee in WRITING! No other manufacture will give you one! Watkins guarantees that you can operate any Highlife series spa up to 1 hour per day with the cover off and temp set between 100-104 degrees with all the jets running everyday for a year and never excede $30.00 with the tub wired 220V/50 amp. Other companys will tell you that their spas operate the same but won't provide you with any written guarantee. We have set meters on all the models and have averaged between $17.00 and $23.00 per month even in Michigans worst winter weather. I also have customers who have owned their Hotspings Spas for over 20 years! If that's not enough to prove what a great and long lasting tub Hotsprings makes then I don't know what else to say! Most people only think about the purchase price, you have to factor in the cost of ownership. If you take all that into consideration then you will see that no other manufacture can come close. I hope this gives you some insight into your buying journey! I know it's a major purchase and hope I helped you with some of the information I have provided. Please feel free to ask me any other questions that you may have and I will give you the best information I have available! Good luck in your search and I'm sure you will make an excellent choice in buying your new Hot Tub!

richierich

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »
Check out the Sundance dealer in Cotati and the Marquis dealer in Rohnert Park. There is a Caldera dealer in Windsor and a D1 dealer in Larkfield(Santa Rosa). A four brands are worth a look.

Chartreux

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »
I got a note that Hot Springs is offering up special financing if you need that you can probably search the Hot Springs Website...... Marquis is also having a special financing...
The one thing that has my attention is the Marquis MicroSilk technology...I do have very dry skin, so anything that can help with that is a bonus...

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:17 pm »
Just my opinion and it's not because I sell all Watkins made hot tubs and have owned one for 15 years......There is nothing that compares to the Hotsprings Highlife series hot tubs. They are in a class on their own. 3 things that made me go with Hotsprings that no other manufacture can provide.
1. 100% No bypass filtration system. All other Hot Tubs have bypass fittings in their tubs so you are not getting the cleanest water and will spend more on chemicals to maintain your tubs water. 2. Jet variety. They don't have the most jets but have the best variety of jets and they make their own (almost all other manufacture buy from a 3rd party jet vender) so the pumps are designed to power the custom made jets to provide you with a great massage and each seat has a different feel to give you a great massage no matter where your muscles hurt. 3. The ONLY Hot Tub that comes with an energy guarantee in WRITING! No other manufacture will give you one! Watkins guarantees that you can operate any Highlife series spa up to 1 hour per day with the cover off and temp set between 100-104 degrees with all the jets running everyday for a year and never excede $30.00 with the tub wired 220V/50 amp. Other companys will tell you that their spas operate the same but won't provide you with any written guarantee. We have set meters on all the models and have averaged between $17.00 and $23.00 per month even in Michigans worst winter weather. I also have customers who have owned their Hotspings Spas for over 20 years! If that's not enough to prove what a great and long lasting tub Hotsprings makes then I don't know what else to say! Most people only think about the purchase price, you have to factor in the cost of ownership. If you take all that into consideration then you will see that no other manufacture can come close. I hope this gives you some insight into your buying journey! I know it's a major purchase and hope I helped you with some of the information I have provided. Please feel free to ask me any other questions that you may have and I will give you the best information I have available! Good luck in your search and I'm sure you will make an excellent choice in buying your new Hot Tub!

Hot Springs makes a good spa but they are no better then a handful of other brands out there.  Where is that energy guarentee in writing?  I searched for it on their website but couldn't find it.  If that's true you would think it would be plastered all over their site.  Hot Springs definetely makes my top 5 of all tubs out there but to say they are so much better then anybody else is just foolish

Sam

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »
Yeah Hot Springs are nice spas, but there are others that are just as good.  The no bypass filtration thing isn't all it's cracked up to be, in my opinion.  To say that you will save on chemicals with it is something that I take issue with.  I sold hot spring for a few years.  Our display models got cloudy just as quick as other brands I have sold.  Most hot tubs will filter all of the water multiple times per day, even with bypass. 

With Hot Spring's no bypass, you better clean those 5 filters very often!  I remember the most common phone call we would get was due to the filters being dirty.  If all of the water passes through the filters, then there is no other place to pull from so the filters really restrict the flow of water, which can then cause flow problems and error codes.  Even when clean, the flow is more restricted with no-bypass than spas with floor suctions because all of the water has to pass through the filter.  You also rob more power by going through the diverter valve.  I have read that diverters can rob up to 18% of the flow. 

Also, you have to regularly buy 5 filters now instead of 2 like most others.  That expense certainly adds up.

Having daily experience with most of the different filtration and treatment options over the last 20 years, I have come to the conclusion that most of this stuff is just sales hype.  I haven't found that any one system keeps the water cleaner than any other, on high-end spas. 

As to the variety of jetting.....Hot Spring does not have the greatest variety of jetting.  If I had to guess, I would say that Bullfrog probably does.  I certainly have worked with a spa that offers more variety and choice than Bullfrog.  There are 23 different JetPaks to choose from, and you can put them in whichever seat you want.  I won't turn this in to a Bullfrog sales pitch.  I am just offering them as an example.

Energy efficiency is another contention of mine.  There are quite a few different brands that are in the same ballpark as Hot Spring on efficiency.  I have never seen this guarantee myself.  Can you please show me?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just stating my personal opinion.  I am glad that you stand behind your product.  It is definitely a top tier one.  You certainly can't go wrong with a Hot Spring, but there are other equal alternatives in my mind.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 07:47:40 pm »
You are correct that spa owners need to keep the filters clean and part of the reason the Hot Spring filters get dirty is because the spas filter very very well. The good news is the Porex filters really allow for great water flow and were an excellent addition to the no bypass system.

Where did that 18% loss idea come from. Diverters are really no different than elbows, tees, fittings and anything else the water comes in contact with including the hoses themselves which all cause losses. There is some loss there but 18%? As you stated on the energy question, "Can you please show me?". I know you aren't the one coming up with that so I'm not questioning you and its obviously created in some Marketing strategy meeting.

We all know there is no firm data out there on efficiency. Arctic did have one study years ago they've touted which I saw that showed themselves and Hot Spring to be a cut above but I'm not sure how independent that was either. There is a chance that at some point 3rd party data will be required to sell spas as states start to crack down on energy waste but until then...

I agree, we're all entitled to our opinion and there's no reason to expect we're all going to necessarily agree on all points around here. If we did all agree it would get boring! ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

Also, you have to regularly buy 5 filters now instead of 2 like most others.  That expense certainly adds up.

Of course the Flair has only 1 filter.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42